Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was Ali able to hurt Cotto more than Canelo ever did?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely weird. He was also getting rocked by shots on the top of the head. Bad night, Dehydrated, hadn't eaten proper, age? iunno. and also he was lighter than he'd been in awhile, maybe a sign of something.

Comment

Canelo's shots seemed harder but Ali moved Cotto, i think Cotto's punch resistance has faded a bit

Comment

Mosleyou didn't really rock Cotto like that either and he landed some good shots too.

Comment

Easy styles makes fights. Cotto couldn't of fought these guys any more differently. He went in with no fear of ali power thinking he's a small chinny welterweight who got knocked out by vargas who wasn't even a big puncher at 140 let alone 147. He was in search and destroy mode to KO Ali. Against canelo he was the smaller guy so he was on his bike scared to engage with canelo. Never tried to make it a war or risk getting KO. If he fought canelo like he fought ali he doesn't last 4 rounds. The few times he engaged canelo was busting him. He fought more cautious and strategic because he was worried about canelo stopping him took less chances was always on the move.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
            Probably more to do with punch resistance.

Also, sometimes you just get hit with a shot in the right spot that rocks you.

Amir Khan never got physically dropped by Maidana, yet got dropped and KO'd by people that don't hit as hard. It just happens sometimes. That's boxing.

Arthur Abraham got put on queer street at one point by Martin Murray and Murray isn't considered a puncher. Abraham has been cracked by much bigger punchers and took it better.
            Arthur Abraham got his jaw cracked by Edison Miranda and went the distance. That guy was tough. It was hard to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
              Is Cotto's punch resistance fading fast or is Ali a bigger puncher than we think?
              I think it's a combination of both but mostly Cotto's punch resistance is way down from the Canelo fight. Ali doesn't have near the punching power of Canelo or he would have knocked Vargas out. He is a sharp puncher but his punches don't have the speed or the bodyweight Canelo's explosive punches have. I can see that. Canelo's power punches are very fast and heavy. Cotto was lucky to survive 12 rounds with him and the Cotto who fought yesterday would be quickly KOed by Canelo in my opinion. Ali is a good puncher but not in Canelo's class as a power puncher. Cotto should stay retired because he was just a shell of the Cotto who fought Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                I think it's a combination of both but mostly Cotto's punch resistance is way down from the Canelo fight. Ali doesn't have near the punching power of Canelo or he would have knocked Vargas out. He is a sharp puncher but his punches don't have the speed or the bodyweight Canelo's explosive punches have. I can see that. Canelo's power punches are very fast and heavy. Cotto was lucky to survive 12 rounds with him and the Cotto who fought yesterday would be quickly KOed by Canelo in my opinion. Ali is a good puncher but not in Canelo's class as a power puncher. Cotto should stay retired because he was just a shell of the Cotto who fought Canelo.
                This is probably the best explanation yet. I think it can be coupled with the theory someone else posited, that sometimes punches just happen to land in the right spot at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                  Cotto has always been hurt and buzzed throughout his career. Torres, Corley, Pacquiao, Judah, Mosley, and even Mayweather in that 12th round. Yes it was strange that Canelo, with a size advantage, was not able to buzz Miguel and Cotto never stopped coming. I think that Canelo gave him too much respect.
                  Probably. But Canelo also fancies himself a boxer, not a brawler. He’s not necessarily in there to KO his opponent ASAP. He likes to mix it up, but he likes to use his skills, too. He even tried boxing with Floyd, of all people. Lol

Comment

Cotto wasn't bothered so much by sadam power it was his speed that bothered him and his careless/lack of respect for it left him getting tagged. But this is boxing who would of thought light punching vargas will ko sadam but cotto who is much bigger and stronger has ko'd middleweights but couldn't come close to stopping sadam. But hey Frazer dropped and beat Ali then got blown out badly by foreman so foreman should of destroyed ali right? Wrong. And the answer isnt that Ali has more power then frazer he just fought differently. Millions of examples like this in boxing. Each fight is different and how you fight 1 fighter is different have you fight the next fighter.

Comment

From memory Canelo couldn't seem to land a clean with his power punches to the head. He hurt Cotto a few times to the body.

Comment

Working...
                      X