Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official 2018 Black History Month mega-thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow! We finally got something stickied.

Now my people, read up on some extremely brave and formidable Black people who were called Maroons. They were so formidable instead trying to recapture them the British had to sign a treaty with them.

During the 18th century, the powerful Maroons, escaped ex-slaves who settled in the mountains of Jamaica, carved out a significant area of influence. Through the use of slave labor, the production of sugar in this British colony flourished. But the courageous resistance of the Maroons threatened this prosperous industry. These efforts included plantation raids, the killing of white militiamen, and the freeing of slaves. The threat to the system was clear and present; hence, the planters were willing to sign a treaty with the Maroons in 1738. The treaty offers good insight to the relationship between the planters and the Maroons at the time, and deserves further attention.
    https://scholar.library.miami.edu/sl...s/maroons.html

Comment

Originally posted by -MEGA- View Post
      I’m gonna go ahead and sticky this thread for the month of February.

Let’s keep it civil(ish), ok guys.
      Respect, MEGA. Only you have a bit of grasp of these sensitive issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        First I want to wish a happy birthday to Langston Hughes. Born Feb 1st 1902

We all know about the story of slavery and the civil rights era. What I want to do with this thread is to expose lesser known facts about Black people in America. Particularly out time after the end of slavery

https://memory.loc.gov/ammem/aaohtml...t/aopart5.html
        He and Claude McKay(Jamaican) were two great poets in that Harlem era.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
          Respect, MEGA. Only you have a bit of grasp of these sensitive issues.
          Well, it says “mega” thread so I thought he was referring to me. Had I known...

Comment

Oh wow! We finally got something stickied.

Now my people, read up on some extremely brave and formidable Black people who were called Maroons. They were so formidable instead trying to recapture them the British had to sign a treaty with them.

https://scholar.library.miami.edu/sl...s/maroons.html
            So, what did they get out of the treaty? Did they get land, or a cut of the profit? That's some old school guerilla warfare there

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
              So, what did they get out of the treaty? Did they get land, or a cut of the profit? That's some old school guerilla warfare there
              They got crown land and peace of mind that the British wouldn't be chasing them to capture them again. Hail Captain Cudjoe!

Yeah. Amazing for people that came in bondage and weren't familiar with the terrain but they used it to their advantage. To this day those Maroon lands are still tax free. They are not charged land or property taxes.

Comment

They got crown land and peace of mind that the British wouldn't be chasing them to capture them again. Hail Captain Cudjoe!

Yeah. Amazing for people that came in bondage and weren't familiar with the terrain but they used it to their advantage. To this day those Maroon lands are still tax free. They are not charged land or property taxes.
                Yeah, that's awesome.

Comment

Over/under on the number of people who receive temp or perma bans because of this thread is set at 9.5, Place your bets!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Over/under on the number of people who receive temp or perma bans because of this thread is set at 9.5, Place your bets!!!
                    Imma say 2. That’s pretty much par for the coarse.

Comment

I recently saw an interview with Morgan Freeman and Mike Wallace. Morgan made some interesting comments. Wallace asked him about black history month and Morgan said I don't want a black history month. He said black history is American history. He then asked Wallace when is white history month? Wallace didn't know what to say except I'm Jewish. So Morgan said when is Jewish history month?
                      There isn't any.
                      Do you want one..
                      No.
                      Well neither do I.

Comment

Working...
                      X