No announcement yet.

Amateur boxers that didn't turn pro

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YNG View Post
    Cubans that come from the Cuban boxing school can't turn pro, is not allowed in their country, if you want to do it, you have to leave your family behind with the risk of being caught during the escape or the risk of failling in the pros without the option of coming back, some of them were too much into politics and stayed in Cuba because they believed in the revolution and Fidel.
    Teofilo Stevenson, Felix Savon, Mario Kindelan, Angel Espinosa, Jose Gomez, Adolfo Horta, Candelario Duvergel, Hector Vinent, Roberto Balado, Angel Herrera are some of the great Cuban amateurs that beat many quality pros and never turned pro themselves.
    But so far no one has been able to make the correct transition between amateur and pro.
    The biggest one that never turned pro is easily Teofilo Stevenson, Don King, Bob Arum, Angelo Dundee, Emanuel Steward, George Foreman, you can ask to anyone from back then and they all agree that Stevenson was the fighter that everyone wanted to sign, he was tall, he could box and he had great power, he stopped all but two opponents during the 3 olympic games, he was the Val Barker winner at the 1972 games, he beat everyone from the era of the talented and lazy heavyweights, John Tate, Tyrell Biggs, Michael Dokes, Tony Tubbs, he was offered millions for fighting Ali in his pro debut and the fight was almost made but Fidel Castro wanted Stevenson to keep his amateur status so they propose three exhibition bouts, at the end the fight was never made, Ali had a huge respect for Stevenson.
    Fighters like Ramon Garbey, Odlanier Solis and Jorge Luis Gonzales were too lazy for the pros, fighters like Guillermo Rigondeaux and Yuriorkis Gamboa were having promotional issues that forced them to take fights against bigger and skilled opponents that stopped them, fighters like Yan Barthelemy and his brothers (Rances and Leduan) and Yordanis Despaigne are just not good enough for the pros and fighters like Joel Casamayor and Diosbelys Hurtado were good enough to capture world titles but weren't able to reach ATG status.
    Right now Erislandy Lara is the hope of the Cubans, he is the best fighter at 154 and a win against Jarred Hurt can put him in line for big fights but Hurd while he is not as skilled as Lara, he is far bigger and with great workrate and chin.
    There isn't a top Cuban that turned pro in almost ten years, some of the guys that are looking for the 2020 are going for their third or fourth consecutive games.
    Many Cuban greats ended in poverty, Angel Espinosa, Angel Herrera, Felix Betancourt and recently I saw a video of the great Mario Kindelan selling his two olympic golds so he could buy a refrigerator, the funny thing is that he says that he believes in Fidel like other people believe in Religion.
    gracias por escribas, hope to read more from you in the future.

Comment

1976 USA Medalists

The 1976 American medalists. I wonder about the guy at the bottom (Charles Mooney); just from being part of this group the opportunity (money/backing) must have been there.

FyW Leo Randolph [Gold]

LW Howard Davis Jr. [Gold]

WW Ray Leonard [Gold]

MW Michael Spinks [Gold]

LHW Leon Spinks [Gold]

HW John Tate [Bronze]

BW Charles Mooney [Silver]

Comment

Originally posted by lightningleeroy View Post
        As the most likely route into the sport is through the amateurs I'm sure lots of people that have boxed know fighters that have won national competitions but never did the switch to pro.

Was wandering who are some of the best amateurs that never turned pro?

How do we feel these amateurs would have done if they transitioned?
        It's the ONLY way. Now, there are some VERY few exceptions. I can only name a handful who became good pro boxers who had zero amateur experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
          The 1976 American medalists. I wonder about the guy at the bottom (Charles Mooney); just from being part of this group the opportunity (money/backing) must have been there.

FyW Leo Randolph [Gold]

LW Howard Davis Jr. [Gold]

WW Ray Leonard [Gold]

MW Michael Spinks [Gold]

LHW Leon Spinks [Gold]

HW John Tate [Bronze]

BW Charles Mooney [Silver]
          Charles Michael "Charlie" Mooney (born January 27, 1951) is a retired boxer from the United States, who won the silver medal in the bantamweight (– 54 kg) division at the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal, Canada. There he lost by decision in the final by North Korea's Gu Yong-Ju.

Mooney is married to Dara Mooney and has two daughters, Lanette and Charkeena, and one son, Charles Jr. seven grand children, four boys and three girls. He was a three-time All Army champion, three-time inter-service champion, won a silver medal in Pan Am trials and took bronze and silver medals at the AAU nationals. In the US Army at the time, he did not turn professional. Mooney made the Army his career, and retired with 22 years active service, ending August 29, 1992, with the rank of Sergeant First Class.

Mooney was born in Washington, D.C.[1] started his new career at Eastern Senior High school as a US Army JROTC instructor from 1992–2006 and he also ran the Olympic torch in Washington DC in 1996. In 1977–1978 he was an All Army assistant coach. In 1977–1984 he was an athlete rep for the ABF, Olympic committee and a trainer for the 1984 Olympic boxing team. In 1992–2008, Mooney, founded and the Charles M. Mooney Academy of Boxing, a non-profit 501c3 in Rockville and Laurel, Maryland. Mooney also had the opportunity to go to China to train the Chinese Olympics' Boxing Team in Beijing, China. Mooney trained the World Series Boxing Team in Memphis, Tennessee known as the Memphis Force and was the trainer of USBA cruiserweight champion Darnell Wilson, as well as Wayne Hampton, Adele Olakanye, Keith Kemp, Brian Cook, Marlyn Haynes, two-time WBO champion Keith Holmes WBC champion Sharmba Mitchell, ranked heavyweight Tony Thompson, Teddy Reid, Fabian Garcia, Theon Holland, Simon Brown, Darell Holawell, William Joppy, Cory Sanders, and world champion Chris Byrd, Matt Korobov soon to be middle weight champion, Alexey Sergeevich Zubov and Jameel McCline.

Comment

Awesome thread. I'll post soon

Comment

From this side of the pond we have Dick Mctaggart. Maybe not as good as the Cubans but his amatuer record is mighty impressive.

From Wiki

Richard "Dick" McTaggart, MBE (born 15 October 1935) is a retired Scottish amateur boxer. He competed in the 1956 and 1960 Olympics in the lightweight division and won a gold and a bronze medal, respectively. In 1956 he received the Val Barker Trophy for best boxing style at the Olympics. At the 1964 Olympics McTaggart moved to the light-welterweight category, but lost in the third bout to the eventual winner Jerzy Kulej. McTaggart won the British ABA title in 1956, 1958, 1960, 1963 and 1965,[1] and retired with a record of 610 wins out of 634 bouts.[2]

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                I struggle to stop asking myself similar questions.. Michigan ??? I think of season's changing & the university of Michigan, good hoops, good football me rejecting Norte dame cuz I was afraid leave my ghetto azz hood.. Peace.
                Michigan???? How can you possibly be a boxing fan to mention Michigan but never mention one of the greatest gyms ever, Kronk?..........Rockin'

Comment

From this side of the pond we have Dick Mctaggart. Maybe not as good as the Cubans but his amatuer record is mighty impressive.

From Wiki

Richard "Dick" McTaggart, MBE (born 15 October 1935) is a retired Scottish amateur boxer. He competed in the 1956 and 1960 Olympics in the lightweight division and won a gold and a bronze medal, respectively. In 1956 he received the Val Barker Trophy for best boxing style at the Olympics. At the 1964 Olympics McTaggart moved to the light-welterweight category, but lost in the third bout to the eventual winner Jerzy Kulej. McTaggart won the British ABA title in 1956, 1958, 1960, 1963 and 1965,[1] and retired with a record of 610 wins out of 634 bouts.[2]
                  Any video of this guy anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    Any video of this guy anywhere?
                    I don't know how to embed videos but here is a documentary on him on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWSqyzqMGPI

Comment

I don't know how to embed videos but here is a documentary on him on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWSqyzqMGPI
                      Good stuff. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                      X