No announcement yet.

Is this a good thing to do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good thing to do?

I just started going to the gym 3 weeks ago, and i sparred a southpaw guy the other day whose being going for 3 months, but it was his first time sparring as well as mine. I dominated him barely getting hit... lead right hands kept working and i would back up after and he would miss his counterpunches. I kept him at a distance with my long reach hitting him with jabs and straight rights down the middle over and over. So the guy lost his composure and came at me like it was the 12th round of a chapionchip fight and i just stood there in my guard and blocked 10+ all out haymakers. I have long forearms and i can block my whole body and head at the same time thanks to boxer's gloves and not puncher's gloves. I'm wondering if its smart to just stand there and absorb all of his punches by blocking or should i weave under and counter?

Originally posted by Evil_Meat View Post
    I just started going to the gym 3 weeks ago, and i sparred a southpaw guy the other day whose being going for 3 months, but it was his first time sparring as well as mine. I dominated him barely getting hit... lead right hands kept working and i would back up after and he would miss his counterpunches. I kept him at a distance with my long reach hitting him with jabs and straight rights down the middle over and over. So the guy lost his composure and came at me like it was the 12th round of a chapionchip fight and i just stood there in my guard and blocked 10+ all out haymakers. I have long forearms and i can block my whole body and head at the same time thanks to boxer's gloves and not puncher's gloves. I'm wondering if its smart to just stand there and absorb all of his punches by blocking or should i weave under and counter?
    You are not going to want to just stand there and block all of the shots, no. But weaving and bobing might not be the best alternative you are a taller guy, it wouldn't be as effective use your feet, They are a line of defense to. get out of there slip and move contue with the jab obviously it was working frustrating him. do as you were just move counter at the openings.

Comment

Rolling under the hey makers is the way to go. When it swings over you come up firing because he is probably winding up another hey maker to follow. Use straight shots and step around him. Also think about not only blocking the shot but rolling with too, and then fire...................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        Rolling under the hey makers is the way to go. When it swings over you come up firing because he is probably winding up another hey maker to follow. Use straight shots and step around him. Also think about not only blocking the shot but rolling with too, and then fire...................Rockin'
        You would have the taller longer reached guy ducking and rolling?

Comment

Bottom line: if you blocked all the punches, you didn't get hit. Some people block, some avoid, but most do both. Avoiding is a better way to position for a meaningful counter. Blocking is a good way to disrupt the guy's rhythm.....

Comment

Working...
          X