Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frank Maloney Being Treated For Heart Attack!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Maloney Being Treated For Heart Attack!

Darren Sutherland, who won a bronze medal for Ireland at last year’s Beijing Olympics, was found hanged at his flat in southeast London yesterday afternoon.

Frank Maloney, his promoter, was in hospital last night being treated for a suspected heart attack, after discovering Sutherland’s body at the boxer’s home in Bromley.

Sutherland, 27, who was unbeaten in four professional bouts, lost to James DeGale, Great Britain’s gold medal-winner, in the middleweight semi-final in Beijing.

Maloney, also Sutherland’s manager, discovered the boxer’s body when he called at his flat yesterday afternoon at about 3pm. The pair had been due to appear at a press conference in Sunderland today to discuss Sutherland’s next bout on October 16.

After contacting police, Maloney, 55, who recently celebrated 25 years as a promoter, was taken to hospital suffering from shock and was believed to have been treated for a suspected minor heart attack, although a friend said that his condition was not life-threatening.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said Sutherland’s death was not being treated as suspicious.

A statement was issued on Maloney’s behalf paying tribute to Sutherland. “It is very sad and unexpected,” he said. “My thoughts are with Darren’s family and I hope their privacy at this difficult time will be respected by the media. It is a tragedy for Ireland and the world of boxing.”

A two-time European Union amateur champion, Sutherland boxed DeGale six times as an amateur, the Irishman winning on four occasions. Soon after losing in Beijing, Sutherland turned professional with Maloney, who talked ambitiously of Sutherland and DeGale meeting one day again for a world title.

“It is very, very sad news,” DeGale said last night. “It is a tragedy, my heart went to the floor when I heard. He was a big part of my Olympic medal journey, and it is just terrible. He was a brilliant fighter and he was a gentleman outside the ring as well.

“He had an Olympic bronze medal, and his whole life to look forward to. He had a great future, and my heart goes out to everyone who knew him.”

Sutherland moved from Dublin to London where he was trained by Brian Lawrence. He made his professional debut in Dublin last December. He then boxed in Wigan and Stoke, having his final bout at York Hall, in London’s East End, in June. He won all his professional bouts by stoppage.

“From the minute I watched Darren in the Olympics he was the only fighter I wanted to sign,” Maloney said before Sutherland’s debut.

“I believe he will become my fifth world champion following in the path of Lennox Lewis, Paul Ingle, Scott Harrison and David Haye. On a personal level I haven’t felt this excited since the day Lennox Lewis signed with me in April 1989.”

wtf you been smokin man?

Comment

I thought you were bull****ting.

RIP

Comment

OMG Sutherland is really dead !

Comment

Originally posted by wXh View Post
          welcome too yesterday

Comment

wtf you been smokin man?
            When I saw this i thought but then I saw your other post and realised you didn't know yet.

Originally posted by Demise View Post
            I thought you were bull****ting.

RIP

I would never bull**** about something like this. It's terrible. I was looking forward to seeing Sutherland's rise to a world title some day!

Yeah I wouldn't joke about something like that!

Comment

Boxing manager and promoter Frank Maloney is being kept under observation in hospital after tests revealed he suffered a recent heart attack.

The 55-year-old discovered the body of Irish boxer Darren Sutherland on Monday after visiting his south London home.

Maloney also saw heavyweight client John McDermott lose on a controversial decision to Tyson Fury on Friday.

"He is sitting up in bed and being allowed to work on his laptop," said his spokesperson.

It is not yet known when exactly Maloney suffered his heart attack.

Police are not treating the death of Sutherland, who Maloney found hanged, as suspicious.

Maloney was due to appear with the 27-year-old at a press conference on Tuesday to announce his next fight which was scheduled to take place on 16 October.

The promoter had been angered by the result of Friday's McDermott-Fury clash at Brentwood Leisure Centre.

Maloney branded referee Terry O'Connor a 'disgrace to British boxing' after his scoring of the fight, 98-92 in favour of Fury, handed him the English heavyweight title.

British Boxing Board of Control is to hold a hearing into the fight's outcome on 23 September.

Comment

Working...
              X