No announcement yet.

Use jab on southpaw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use jab on southpaw?

Hey, I'm having trouble using my jab against southpaws. I've asked my coaches and researched it. At first I had success with stepping to my left to get outside their feet, or using an overhand to get inside. But my sparring partners know what I'm doing now and counter me. Also one of the southpaws has a decent size reach advantage on me. Can anybody give me any tips on how to establish my jab against a southpaw? Thanks

Jab his glove and hook over the top of it

Comment

Wish I knew. I have the same problem. I normally try to get low and inside or go to the body to create the openings.

Comment

Originally posted by caveguy212 View Post
        Hey, I'm having trouble using my jab against southpaws. I've asked my coaches and researched it. At first I had success with stepping to my left to get outside their feet, or using an overhand to get inside. But my sparring partners know what I'm doing now and counter me. Also one of the southpaws has a decent size reach advantage on me. Can anybody give me any tips on how to establish my jab against a southpaw? Thanks
        Bud, try this, will KO that fool;

Comment

One thing I always try to do when boxing south paws is to
          Make sure my left hand is higher than his right hand. When he shoots a jab I block it by knocking it down and shooting my jab over the top as quick as possible.
          In my opinion the only real advantage southpaws have is that they neutralize your jab. But if you can make them pay for each jab by knocking it down wards it both tires their arm and opens them to a 1-2.

A fight that I think is a great example of someone neutralizing a south paw jab is Andre Ward vs Chad Dawson.

Comment

Thanks buddy

Comment

No probs bud

Comment

i like to jab across there gloves catch it with my wrist pull there front hand away from my power hand and come straight through there glove with a right cross there own view kind of blocks the cross comming also if your jabing a south paw you need to make sure you have the dominant foot position as if your trying to jab with your lead foot inbetween there gaurd your leaning into a cross which is not good!
                also my first of many posts

Comment

You establish lead foot dominance as you throw the rear straight in/vs southpaw, I mean your lead foot steps outside his lead foot. When you jab, it's opposite, you step inside his lead foot on tiptoe. Watch some Pac and RJJ you'll see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
                    You establish lead foot dominance as you throw the rear straight in/vs southpaw, I mean your lead foot steps outside his lead foot. When you jab, it's opposite, you step inside his lead foot on tiptoe. Watch some Pac and RJJ you'll see what I mean.
                    That's actually what I do. I actually get dirty and step on his foot when I can to keep him in place.

Comment

Working...
                    X