Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which fights were Floyd Mayweather's biggest challenges?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, as I was saying. Are there any Mayweather fans who would have liked to have seen the Golovkin, Martinez or Alvarez II fights?

Comment

Originally posted by White Willie View Post
      I don't get the logic behind a person who claims to be a Floyd Mayweather Jr. fan, or have respect for him, to then get angry if another person says they'd have liked to have seen him fight Gennady Golovkin or Sergio Martinez? Both would have been high risk fights but also both winnable fights for Floyd. What is wrong with wanting to see Floyd face and possibly overcome that kind of adversity? Both wins would have enhanced his legacy.
      You mean like the stupid ones who were insulting me today because I suggested a prime Loma fight Crawford at 140?

You wanted 40-year Floyd to fight Golovkin two divisions up? The funny thing is, I always thought Floyd would beat his ass even in his old age. I hope you are not one of the guys who was crying when people asked for Ward-GGG.

Floyd mentioned fighting Sergio at 154, although he was still somewhat new to the welter division.

Do you see a double standard anywhere?

Comment

They don't make them like Floyd anymore. Once in a lifetime fighter. Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
          You mean like the stupid ones who were insulting me today because I suggested a prime Loma fight Crawford at 140?

You wanted 40-year Floyd to fight Golovkin two divisions up? The funny thing is, I always thought Floyd would beat his ass even in his old age. I hope you are not one of the guys who was crying when people asked for Ward-GGG.

Floyd mentioned fighting Sergio at 154, although he was still somewhat new to the welter division.

Do you see a double standard anywhere?
          No, I don't mean any of that. I'm talking about Floyd Mayweather Jr. and nobody else.

It's too late for the Floyd-GGG fight now. Early 2016 was the time for it to happen.

I always thought Floyd would have outclassed Sergio, but for whatever reason the fight never happened. Floyd really missed an opportunity to claim the Lineal Middleweight title.

There's no harm in talking about theoretical fights when Floyd himself talked the fights up at one point or another.

Comment

No, I don't mean any of that. I'm talking about Floyd Mayweather Jr. and nobody else.

It's too late for the Floyd-GGG fight now. Early 2016 was the time for it to happen.

I always thought Floyd would have outclassed Sergio, but for whatever reason the fight never happened. Floyd really missed an opportunity to claim the Lineal Middleweight title.

There's no harm in talking about theoretical fights when Floyd himself talked the fights up at one point or another.
            No harm at all in talking. But, then, why did you shut out my comparison to Loma and GGG. No harm, right? Most fights can't be talked about without comparisons.

Anyway, I don't think Floyd ever set out to accomplish that, being a middle champ. He was above belts.

Question: Can you name a more accomplished fighter than Floyd in the last 15 years?

Comment

Bob Arum was his biggest fight, when he was trying to get Pacquiao into the ring.

From drug testing to building stadiums, Bob was countering and check hooking Floyd’s every move. Floyd took a savage beating....

Comment

Fights that didn't happen? Sergio Martinez circa 2011. Early 2010 Manny Pacquiao. Any version of Gennady Golovkin. Rematching Saul Alvarez in 2017 for fight #50. Would have all been perceived as loseable fights.
                Floyd would've been a favorite in all these fights man, you're not fooling anybody here, nobody who knows boxing would bet against Floyd in any of these fights despite him being older and smaller in most of them. And if these fights were to happen and if Floyd were to win they'd discredit the wins like they always do.

If Floyd were to be an underdog it would've been a lot earlier in his career, he wanted to move up from 140 to 154 to fight Winky Wright when Wright was right and I think he would've been an underdog in that fight due to the huge size difference. He also wanted to fight Oscar Dela Hoya and Shane Mosley at 147 in 2001-2002 when he was still fighting at 130-135 lbs but nobody paid him any mind and I think he would've been an underdog in these fights as well. I think a fight against Kostya Tszyu at 140 before Tszyu lost to Hatton would've been a 50 50 fight in terms of betting odds, I would've clearly favored Floyd to easily outbox Kostya Tszyu but I think the odds would've been even.

Other than these fights I can't recall any realistic fight where Floyd would've been an underdog in from 1998 till 2015.

Comment

If Floyd wanted that lineal middleweight belt, he could have easily rematched Cotto when Cotto had it. Floyd is a champion supreme, he doesn't play that way. He also doesn't take gifted and vacated belts.

Each division he went up to, he became the man, was the man, until he left it. Is that enough? He thought it was.

Comment

So,

Mayweather v Hatton had me on the edge of my seat, and does so every single time I watch it (which is fairly regularly since I have Floyd's filmography on my PC). That fight was a ****in nail biter for me.

First round of the Mosley fight.

Fights I would have loved to see:

Floyd v Maravilla. Two of my fav fighters of the past era. I became a massive fan of Sergio's after he whooped my boi Chavez Jr. Also, he looks great in a turtle neck.

Floyd v Margarito. Just to shut everybody up.

I have no interest in Floyd v Canelo II, or Floyd v Golovkin to be fair. None whatsoever.

Yo maxi, any Sergio Martinez news?

Comment

My fav. Floyd fight was that Corley fight. I wish that played this fight more for the casuals.

Comment

Working...
                      X