Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nunes vs. Rousey does over 1M PPV Buys (UFC's 5th million plus buy show of 2016)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nunes vs. Rousey does over 1M PPV Buys (UFC's 5th million plus buy show of 2016)

Per Dave Meltzer:

Ronda Rousey's career may be in jeopardy after her loss to Amanda Nunes on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, but the idea that her first loss to Holly Holm damaged her drawing power ended up not being the case.

Despite the show being on a Friday night, instead of the more familiar Saturday and the lack of promotion of the show by Rousey, the early estimates are that the show did 1.1 million buys on pay-per-view. The number would be similar to both the Rousey vs. Holly Holm fight, which was her biggest show to date, and also in the same range as the far more heavily promoted Nov. 12 show from Madison Square Garden headlined by Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez, which was the most loaded lineup in company history.

It was UFC's fifth 1 million-plus buy show of 2016. The only sport in history that had ever had three 1 million buy shows in the same year was boxing, which did it in 1996, during the heyday of Mike Tyson, who fought three times that year, and in 2011.

MMA is just a fad some still say lol. A L kills your drawing power some still say lol.

And remember this card was promoted poorly. It seemed like a trailer for a film then it promoted a fight card. I got no doubt that if Ronda had opened her mouth it'd have done better.

Curious what sorta rub Nunes will get off of her wins over the top two names in womans MMA with Tate & now Rousey on her KO'd opponents list.

Comment

Yeah, Ronda didn't have to do any media or press conferences the week of the fight and still pulled those numbers on a Friday night.

Hopefully Nunes gains some fans. She also headlined UFC 200 with Tate. She's had some serious exposure and two violent and awesome wins.

I bet Ronda still does 500,000 buys minimum if she decides to fight again, definitely at least 800,000 if it's against a name opponent.

Comment

I think Nunes did gain some fans as well more Ronda fans that would like to see her lose. Hopefully she can defend her title the way Ronda did and keep the momentum going. As far as the ppv sales go.. Good for UFC, they started off not even knowing if they'd survive when they first got bought out to now being a billion dollar business.

If UFC is smart, which they've shown to be, I'd put Nunes in there with Holly as they were the only ones to defeat Rousey before. I know others are deserving, but the #s in the women's division isnt deep so they'll all have their shot at the belt

Comment

rousey the needle mover

Comment

Working...
          X