Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters born in the wrong eras

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken Norton personally, such a sheer athelete, I think he could've been huge in an earlier era.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      First name to come to mind when I saw the thread.

Here's an interesting question. We all know Quarry owns a draw and a win over Floyd Patterson. Quarry was still young and had better fights to come. Floyd was past his days as champ but would still have several more impressive outings.

How would a more seasoned Quarry have done against a more prime Patterson? And How would Quarry have fared against Liston? Would he still be in the wrong era?
      I think Quarry would always give Patterson trouble but Liston would have been a horrible match up for Quarry. Liston's jab would cut Quarry face to ribbons.
      Last edited by Calilloyd; 01-19-2010, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Quarry as said before Tyson to an extent his real prime was not exactly filled with great hws it was in the early 90s where the hw division started picking up steam again and i do believe Holy would have beat him pre prison.And the guy in my av in todays hw division he would be untouchable.

Comment

Chuvalo could have done some damage in the very early 1900's. Very strong, very durable and very good stamina. Often he simply ran out of time. Perhaps he could have been a Battling Nelson, bothering the great Jack Johnson during the latter part of his reign instead of Jess Willard.

Patterson was unlucky to come up in an era where the 190 lb heavyweights were turning into 210+ lb heavyweights. Sonny Liston looks huge in comparison.

Quarry was better than some men who held the heavyweight title like Burns, Willard, Carnera and he would have had a chance of upsetting better champs but all in all I feel he would have come up a bit short against the all-time greats.
          Last edited by TheGreatA; 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            Some great ones mentioned. De Jesus is a great one as is Quarry. One guy I think would have ruled any era but the one he was in was Rodrigo Valdez. Amazing MW who destroyed Bennie Briscoe when Monzon couldn't, even Hagler couldn't though Briscoe was old. Gave Monzon absolute hell in both fights.

Jose Medel was a great one.
            Medel is a great call, he is a guy who could beat the ATG's on some nights (as evidenced by his KO of a prime Harada)

Comment

Originally posted by Calilloyd View Post
              I think Quarry would always give Patterson trouble but Liston would have been a horrible match up for Quarry. Liston's jab would cut Quarry face to ribbons.
              Most observers at the time thought Patterson should have gotten the nod in both Quarry though.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by The HayeMaker View Post
                Carl Froch. id be interested to see how well he would fair in the middleweight division during the 40' and 50's
                Imagine Froch fighting the Robinson who TKO'd LaMotta, that would have been nasty, especially back in thsoe days where the ref often let the fighter take a really, really bad beating or get KD'd several times before stopping it.

Comment

Working...
                X