No announcement yet.

Samurai Movies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by betmen View Post
    i've seen it, it was good. i really love the song at the end.

is trilogy isn't it? i've seen two of the movies, twilight samurai and the one where samurai assasinated his boss with some kind of needle, i forgot the title. but twilight definitely the better one.

the last japanese periode movie i like is kakkekomi. is not actually samurai movie, it focus on how divorce work in edo period. yet another very interesting culture from japan.
    Is Twilight part of a trilogy? What's the names of the other movies in the set?

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
      Is Twilight part of a trilogy? What's the names of the other movies in the set?
      is trilogy but the story doesn't relate to each other. the only relation i think the plot happen at the same time(edo period) and in the same clan of samurai.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
        The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi
        Top notch.. Zatoichi is crazy

Comment

Originally posted by betmen View Post
          is trilogy but the story doesn't relate to each other. the only relation i think the plot happen at the same time(edo period) and in the same clan of samurai.
          “Twilight Samurai” (2002) and “The Hidden Blade,” (2004) the first two installments in Yoji Yamada’s Samurai trilogy are now available from Netflix. “Love and Honor,” the final installment, showed at the Imaginasian Theater in New York last November and should soon be available in home DVD as well. Although I missed “Love and Honor” when it was at the Imaginasian, I am grateful for the loan of a press screener from a fellow programmer at Columbia University who has had an involvement with Japanese films for decades.
          I am not sure of the 77 year old Yoji Yamada’s political associations today but the N.Y. Times reported in 1982 that he was “a member in good standing of Japan’s Communist Party” and usually tried to make “some reference in his films to man’s disaffection with society.”
          For those of you who think of Kurosawa’s samurai movies as genre-defining, you are likely to be surprised by Yamada’s approach (even though both directors were men of the left) for Yamada sees the men not primarily as warriors but as court functionaries in a feudal system that was about to be replaced by the capitalism of the Meiji restoration. They are always pathetic in one fashion or another, but find a way in the climax of each of his great movies to redeem their honor in a display of swordsmanship against the feudal forces of oppression. These are very class conscious films, even if the alignment of class forces bears little resemblance to modern-day bourgeois society.

Comment

Im gonna get high and watch Shogun’s Samurai tonight.

Yagyu isnt someone to fuk with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
              I've seen Twilight Samurai and think it's a great film. I've never been able to either buy a DVD or get it on Amazon or stream it from any source...
              Any recommendation for Sasaki Kojiro movies?

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
                I'm only familiar with the awesome fight in "Samurai Trilogy" with Mifone as Musashi. There is another one with a younger guy...only seen it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=AUZXkPOCVCo&t=12s

Comment

Post some bad motherfking samurai movies.. bad motherfkin ones.
                  Karate Kid

Best of the best

Lone Wolf Mcquade

Comment

Damn it! Netflix doesn't have Twilight Samurai! Only parts of it are on YouTube, not the whole thing.

Whoever owns the rights to this film doesn't want it seen, apparently.

Comment

Top notch.. Zatoichi is crazy
                      I watched the entire Zatoichi series done for Japanese TV in the 60’s and 70’s. The actors brother played Kozure Okami(baby cart assassin)

Comment

Working...
                      X