No announcement yet.

The Myth that SRL changed his style and beat Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    couldn't cope with what? the invisible punches Leonard was landing?
    He couldn't cope with his boxing tactics or side-to-side movement. He got in a great right hand that seemed to hurt Ray late in the third fight. But, other than that Leonard plain and simply gave him a boxing lesson that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
      He couldn't cope with his boxing tactics or side-to-side movement. He got in a great right hand that seemed to hurt Ray late in the third fight. But, other than that Leonard plain and simply gave him a boxing lesson that night.
      Duran was 38 for the third Leonard match and was pretty much shot. It was an awful fight and did nothing to enhance Leonard's legacy.

Comment

It wasn't the same Duran in that fight, but the difference I saw in sugar was that he stuck with the jab the hole fight and used feints like crazy. Kept on his horse too.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Duran was 38 for the third Leonard match and was pretty much shot. It was an awful fight and did nothing to enhance Leonard's legacy.
          Duran was not shot. In fact, he looked better against Iran Barkely in his previous fight than Leonard did in his prior fight against Tommy Hearns. I think someone else mentioned that in another post, as well. IMO Roberto was also more successful than Leonard as an older fighter fighting well on and looking pretty good into his twilight years long after...

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
            Duran was not shot. In fact, he looked better against Iran Barkely in his previous fight than Leonard did in his prior fight against Tommy Hearns. I think someone else mentioned that in another post, as well. IMO Roberto was also more successful than Leonard as an older fighter fighting well on and looking pretty good into his twilight years long after...

Well I can either believe you or my lying eyes. Duran looked really old in that fight and his career as a top contender was over. The Barkley fight was his last great moment. And once again, Leonard-Duran III really sucked. I was just glad when it was over.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              couldn't cope with what? the invisible punches Leonard was landing?
              Couldnt cope with Leonards movement, speed, and overall tactics. And yes, to some degree the punches.
              Before Duran quit, i noticed him taking some big power counter punches. And looking frustrated as hell. Plus of course Leonards clowning was just p1ssing Duran off, but there was nothing he could do about it.

Do you still think Leonard changing his style is a myth? You havent really argued your point with all the people who disagree with you.
              I would have thought thats the point in making this thread.

Comment

So this is saying, Leonard didn't change his style. He didn't fight a smarter fight and box rather than slug like the first fight? Leonard was strong and a good puncher surely he made the mistake he would be too strong for the lightweight the first time. He learned from mistake and decided to box.
                Duran knew it would probably go another long grueling rounds and prepared for a war. Admitedly he got a slick moving boxer, but he surely didn't get what he was expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                  Couldnt cope with Leonards movement, speed, and overall tactics. And yes, to some degree the punches.
                  Before Duran quit, i noticed him taking some big power counter punches. And looking frustrated as hell. Plus of course Leonards clowning was just p1ssing Duran off, but there was nothing he could do about it.

Do you still think Leonard changing his style is a myth? You havent really argued your point with all the people who disagree with you.
                  I would have thought thats the point in making this thread.
                  Leonard changed his style but this wasn't why he beat Duran. Duran could box well too. He beat Duran because he wasn't the same. You can see why, even though Ray stays on the outside, His connect rate drops significantly as well.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Leonard's hero was Joe Frazier, earlier this year in an interview on Ringside he talked about how when he first started out, he was an out and out brawler. With an identical style to Joe Frazier. Only later did he become a more boxer-puncher style.

The Hagler fight mainly, probably the most fleet footed he'd ever been in his career. Then again, he still engaged with Hagler at times. He talked about in another interview that his plan was to go out there and fight toe to toe with Hagler, but when he got rocked in sparring he decided to change his approach.

It's true though, what you say. Fans these days are a different breed Hell, kids in general are just messed up these days.
                    I think it was Quincy Taylor who hurt Leonard in sparring. Reports vary between him being rocked/knocked down or genuinely sparked.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                      Duran was not shot! He had a pretty useful career for the next decade fighting fringe world class performers like Pazienza and Camacho and generally doing quite well.

It was Leonard who never won a fight after Duran 3!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X