No announcement yet.

Arum: Showtime will leave boxing within the next year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arum: Showtime will leave boxing within the next year

”Both HBO and Showtime are competing for viewers with Netflix,” said Arum, taking a bow for the Saturday effort by Terence Crawford on ESPN.

”So every dollar that they have has to go into what they’re really great at — providing entertainment. HBO certainly has done it. They have really, really good, good programming. And so does Showtime.

“So I’m predicting also that within the next year Showtime will be exiting from boxing because, as great as they’ve been for boxing, they don’t belong. Does FOX belong in boxing? Of course they do. They’re a regular network that has a lot of sports. ESPN is perfect for boxing. That’s where it’s going. The world never stays the same. It always changes. Their time has now passed.”
    https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/10/...the-next-year?

Who is running these lot out of boxing? Isn't boxing lucrative anymore or am i missing something here.

Comment

I'me pretty sure CBS has enough loot that they can keep SHO in boxing. The more interesting question is what will ESPN do as cable services keep raising rates as fewer people have cable packages and shift to streaming services.

If bars/restaurants can't get the app, what happens down the line?

Comment

I think this three year deal SHO has with PBC will decide its boxing fate. It's hard to believe CBS is gonna continue pouring money into boxing if they're only averaging 600K viewers a fight featuring America's best fighters. There's only so many Floyd Mayweather PPVs out there that can disguise how poorly the rest of boxing draws for SHO.

Hopefully Wilder-Fury surprises and nets them a good amount of PPV buys.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

If bars/restaurants can't get the app, what happens down the line?

Why can't bars or restaurants get the app?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
            Who is running these lot out of boxing? Isn't boxing lucrative anymore or am i missing something here.
            Wishful thinking on Arum’s part.

According to Espinoza, half of their new subscribers like boxing and 30% signed up for specifically for that reason. That’s what drives them to increase their budget. Showtime has about 30 million subs (half of HBO’s) and are still generating between 500k-1m viewers per fight. That is impressive. It’s why Espinoza got a promotion and a far bigger budget going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
              Why can't bars or restaurants get the app?
              I don't know. Most of the places I've been don't have the app. I don't know why. Have you been to places with the app?

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Wishful thinking on Arum’s part.

According to Espinoza, half of their new subscribers like boxing and 30% signed up for specifically for that reason. That’s what drives them to increase their budget. Showtime has about 30 million subs (half of HBO’s) and are still generating between 500k-1m viewers per fight. That is impressive. It’s why Espinoza got a promotion and a far bigger budget going forward.
                So why is Arum chatting rubbish again? Is he bored?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                  So why is Arum chatting rubbish again? Is he bored?
                  He’s a promoter. Part of his job.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    I don't know. Most of the places I've been don't have the app. I don't know why. Have you been to places with the app?
                    Not been in the States for awhile mate so I've no recent experience to draw on.

I thought from what you'd said that there was some kind of licensing restriction stopping a barowner from sticking DAZN on his tv. In the UK for instance bars have to pay a premium to show Sky Sports.

Although a lot of bars only put the very big fights on so given DAZN aren't the likely venue for those PPV nights maybe that's a reason?

Comment

Working...
                    X