This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
    Saw the first Saad-Yaqui Lopez fight from 1978. Saad was tremendous in this fight, boxing Lopez's ears off by dominating with the jab. In the 8th, Lopez rocked Saad and almost put him away(eerily similar to the rematch 2 years later. In both fights, Lopez hurt Saad in the 8th, only for Saad to recuperate and hurt him towards the end of the fight). Saad recovered and finally pit him away in the 11th.
    People underrate Saad's fundamentals, he had a good, short jab and a laserlike 1-2 which was very accurate. I think when a boxer gets the label of "Action Fighter" people seem to assume that they are just a go for broke slugger without much skill like a Jorge Barrios. Saad in the build-up for the first Marvin Johnson fight was considered the boxer coming in and his strategy was to counter Johnson's aggressive attacks.

Yaqui was murder to fighters on the ropes, it is really a testamant to Saad's toughness and will to continue and win that he was able to survive the batterings he took on the ropes in each fight. Yaqui put away a few very good fighters with flurries along the ropes, most notably Tony Mundine

Comment

• Suffered through Froch-Dirrell a third time. Close fight, nearly even fight going into the 10th and then Dirrell took over and won those championship rounds. Man Dirrell fought stupid in the middle rounds, and he was punished for it.

Comment

• Froch-Pascal for the second time, with a score of 116-112 for Froch. Bloody good scrap. It was even better than the first time I watched it, although I was still laffing my head off at Froch's wild swinging arm punches and snail mail uppercuts. :laff2:

And that was a totally different version of Pascal, too. He looked lost, bemused, frustrated and hardly followed his most effective gameplan - namely jabbing, moving and outboxing. The real Jean Pascal embarrassed Diaconu twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by mhager91490 View Post
          People underrate Saad's fundamentals, he had a good, short jab and a laserlike 1-2 which was very accurate. I think when a boxer gets the label of "Action Fighter" people seem to assume that they are just a go for broke slugger without much skill like a Jorge Barrios. Saad in the build-up for the first Marvin Johnson fight was considered the boxer coming in and his strategy was to counter Johnson's aggressive attacks.

Yaqui was murder to fighters on the ropes, it is really a testamant to Saad's toughness and will to continue and win that he was able to survive the batterings he took on the ropes in each fight. Yaqui put away a few very good fighters with flurries along the ropes, most notably Tony Mundine
          It is why Saad is in the IBHOF. He was more skilled than a Barrios, Gatti or Ward. In his prime, only Eddie Mustafa and Qawi were able to defeat him, two other HOF's. To watch Saad fight was a treat. Take into account how he was abandoned as a child, and you wonder why a movie was never made about his life.

Comment

You have a very keen insight for such a young man on the sport of boxing. We need more enthusiastic young people following the sport so it can return to prominence that it once had back in the 80's.

Comment

It is why Saad is in the IBHOF. He was more skilled than a Barrios, Gatti or Ward. In his prime, only Eddie Mustafa and Qawi were able to defeat him, two other HOF's. To watch Saad fight was a treat. Take into account how he was abandoned as a child, and you wonder why a movie was never made about his life.
              He was a much better and tougher fighter than any of those guys and I think it really says something about him because we all know how tough those guys were. I've only seen a HL of the EMM fight and the action was very close an the decision is still regarded as a controversial one and I think a case could be made that he was past it for the Qawi fight (though I think how they matched up Saad would always take a beating and even with his powers of recovery and the championship rounds being his best I still don't see him winning a decision or stopping Qawi). They went somewhat in-depth in the pre-fight for the second Marvin Johnson fight and it really gave me a lot of insight into how he did the things he did in the ring. I think fighters like him, Leon and Micheal Spinks, Danny and Ernie Lopez, Frankie Duarte, George Chuvalo and many others need to have their stories told to the world, if anything they are captivating from a human interest standpoint.

Comment

He was a much better and tougher fighter than any of those guys and I think it really says something about him because we all know how tough those guys were. I've only seen a HL of the EMM fight and the action was very close an the decision is still regarded as a controversial one and I think a case could be made that he was past it for the Qawi fight (though I think how they matched up Saad would always take a beating and even with his powers of recovery and the championship rounds being his best I still don't see him winning a decision or stopping Qawi). They went somewhat in-depth in the pre-fight for the second Marvin Johnson fight and it really gave me a lot of insight into how he did the things he did in the ring. I think fighters like him, Leon and Micheal Spinks, Danny and Ernie Lopez, Frankie Duarte, George Chuvalo and many others need to have their stories told to the world, if anything they are captivating from a human interest standpoint.
                Back when you had sportscasters like Keith Jackson, Marv Albert and Howard Cosell covering the sport, many of the same fighters you just mentioned had in depth profiles of their live done in pre-fight segments. I remember NBC once doing a feature on Lou Duva being a childhood friend of Lou Costello. ABC did a feature on how Cornelius Boza Edwards escaped the clutches of Idi Amin.

Comment

• i just finished watching pernell whitaker vs nelson good ass fight

Comment

Back when you had sportscasters like Keith Jackson, Marv Albert and Howard Cosell covering the sport, many of the same fighters you just mentioned had in depth profiles of their live done in pre-fight segments. I remember NBC once doing a feature on Lou Duva being a childhood friend of Lou Costello. ABC did a feature on how Cornelius Boza Edwards escaped the clutches of Idi Amin.
                    I would of loved to have been around during that time, nowadays we have Fight Camp 360 and 24/7 but it always seems to be done on the same fighters or it is just not that interesting. I like the format of those shows but the content for the most part is boring at least IMO.

Comment

• I was watching Tyson vs Johnson fight haha even though it was a quick win... Wowwwwwww just reminds me how fast, strong and straight up CRAZY tyson really was!

TYSON STANDS BESIDE ALI in my books.

Comment

Working...
                      X