Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just watched the end of the Groves fight ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just watched the end of the Groves fight ...

And he looked like he was one more punch away from crashing to the canvas, being administered with oxygen and undergoing emergency brain surgery.

I appreciate he's got courage. But sometimes a man needs to be saved from himself. Joe Frazier's corner were prepared to lose everything with Frazier if it would save his life. And after the condition Groves was in at the end of that fight. Maybe they should do the same.

The warrior's code...

Comment

I've watched a lot of bouts over the past forty six years. But I can't recall feeling as concerned for a fighter in the immediate aftermath of a defeat in a long time.

For me the danger signals were all flashing red as Groves shook his head at the ref and then collapsed onto his stool exhausted. Those were heavy, heavy shots he was taking. Even more concerning was Groves' physical condition. I haven't watched his last two bouts so maybe I missed something ... but ... he sure looked *light*. As if he'd boiled himself down to make weight.

It's a recipe for disaster, IMO. The kid has had a good career. Been involved in some thrilling fights.

But now he's shipping too much punishment. And he's proud enough perhaps to think he can continue. His corner should tell him its over. Walk away and live to ... well ... live. I don't want to see this kid in a wheelchair.

Comment

Yeah maybe you are right, but they atleast stopped the fight when they needed to stop it. I still think he can win some more fights vs Lower level guys in the top 10

Comment

No complaints with the ref. Perhaps he could have jumped in maybe one or two punches earlier. But that's being hyper-critical. To be fair to Groves he looked in such bad condition I think he knew it was all over.

The other issue is that Groves fights in the middle of the weight band where people are light enough to fight twelve rounds at a furious pace with limited stamina issues whilst heavy enough to be delivering bombs each punch.

It's not so bad when you are young and athletic and can avoid most of the opponent's leather. But the moment you push past your physical peak the chances of you being hit go up exponentially.

There are only so many bad defeats a fighter can take. And sometimes it isn't even a defeat. Just look at McClellan vs Jackson. Gerald won. Convincingly. But the shots he took from Jackson that night ended him as a fighter (or should have) before Nigel Benn was even a prospect on the horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
            I've watched a lot of bouts over the past forty six years. But I can't recall feeling as concerned for a fighter in the immediate aftermath of a defeat in a long time.

For me the danger signals were all flashing red as Groves shook his head at the ref and then collapsed onto his stool exhausted. Those were heavy, heavy shots he was taking. Even more concerning was Groves' physical condition. I haven't watched his last two bouts so maybe I missed something ... but ... he sure looked *light*. As if he'd boiled himself down to make weight.

It's a recipe for disaster, IMO. The kid has had a good career. Been involved in some thrilling fights.

But now he's shipping too much punishment. And he's proud enough perhaps to think he can continue. His corner should tell him its over. Walk away and live to ... well ... live. I don't want to see this kid in a wheelchair.
            Ruelas vs Jimmy Garcia was the fight for me, made me sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
              Ruelas vs Jimmy Garcia was the fight for me, made me sick.
              For me it was the Jones v Lebedev fight. If it were up to me I would have banned the referee and fight doctor for life. And what on earth Lebedev's corner were thinking I have no idea. Can you imagine what the parents of any young kid fighting in their stable must have thought that evening?

Comment

And he looked like he was one more punch away from crashing to the canvas, being administered with oxygen and undergoing emergency brain surgery.

I appreciate he's got courage. But sometimes a man needs to be saved from himself. Joe Frazier's corner were prepared to lose everything with Frazier if it would save his life. And after the condition Groves was in at the end of that fight. Maybe they should do the same.
                Groves was never the same after the Eubank Junior fight, it is not as if Eubank Junior hits like a truck but his persistent and physical durability probably done Groves some damage. 'Actually prolong beatings are more damaging' Psychological after that fight? I think George Groves became abit passive, because at his best I think Groves had enough to beat Calum Smith 'I understand that body shots are hard to recover from, when they take the wind out of your engine' but there are fighters who can move forward and rise still in those conditions.

If Groves life depended on it, he would of gotten up.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                  Groves was never the same after the Eubank Junior fight, it is not as if Eubank Junior hits like a truck but his persistent and physical durability probably done Groves some damage. 'Actually prolong beatings are more damaging' Psychological after that fight? I think George Groves became abit passive, because at his best I think Groves had enough to beat Calum Smith 'I understand that body shots are hard to recover from, when they take the wind out of your engine' but there are fighters who can move forward and rise still in those conditions.

If Groves life depended on it, he would of gotten up.
                  I think you are probably right. Eubank Jr. doesn't possess a one-punch-KO like his father early in his career. But he's definitely *heavy handed*. Not the type of fighter you want to be taking successive shots from. Still, I think it was very inadvisable for Groves to have entered the ring in an obvious state of dehydration. How many times have we seen fighters who've boiled down the week before a bout run into serious difficulties?

Comment

I think you are probably right. Eubank Jr. doesn't possess a one-punch-KO like his father early in his career. But he's definitely *heavy handed*. Not the type of fighter you want to be taking successive shots from. Still, I think it was very inadvisable for Groves to have entered the ring in an obvious state of dehydration. How many times have we seen fighters who've boiled down the week before a bout run into serious difficulties?
                    Yes Eubank Junior has that mid range type power, which prolongs things. If he hit with the force of Senior? Certain things may not have happened in his career, certain incidents out of compassion and respect I would rather now draw attention to. 'It is good that he has slowed himself down also, 'His pace and composure' ? With his strength and durability all he needs to do is perfect his jab, improve his straight punches, and at 160? I think in this next 2 years he can beat them all 'Eubank still has that wild side in him, where he just wings in hooks, and sometimes that is good'. 'Nobody is really that strong at 160, he will bully Canelo and the Golovkin fight would be brutal on both fighters.

I see, you believe Groves was badly weight drained for the Eubank Junior match. 'It is quite a demented ideology, it takes years/extra months off their careers each time they boil down' You only have to look at Hopkins & Mayweather, the simple adjustment of not weight draining themselves, had a accumulative effect that beat any performance enhancing drugs. 'And it enabled them to fight for so long'.

Comment

Working...
                    X