Collapse
No announcement yet.

Margarito's resume after 1st Cotto fight:

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive always wondered why using plaster inside a boxers wraps wouldnt cause severe damage to their fingers or knuckles

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
      I can't remember if he busted his nose or not in the 2nd round during the first fight. But he didn't actually "hurt" Cotto until later on in the fight. This is what I was basing my assessment off of. Throughout Marg's career, he actually didn't start hurting guys (good oponents) until around the 6th round or so.
      Busted Cotto's nose and hurt him to the body in the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
        ive always wondered why using plaster inside a boxers wraps wouldnt cause severe damage to their fingers or knuckles
        Luis Resto said in the documentary that he literally couldn't move his hands or fingers at all once he was gloved up.

Comment

so because margarito hasnt fought since getting caught using loaded gloves, he isnt that great?

that may be the most logical thought that he cheated his way to the top.
          who knows really.
          I need concrete evidence to even say anything else.
          maybe he's just on the decline, or maybe not. who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by -Huey- View Post
            1. Gets caught with loaded gloves moments before him and Shane Mosley square off, gets re wrapped and goes on to lose by brutal KO and gets a 1 year ban from boxing.

2. Looks terrible against a bum(Roberto Garcia) in Mexico and wins by decision in a lackluster fight.

3. Fights Manny Paquiao in Texas and suffers a broken orbital bone and the worse beating of his life, shutout loss.

4. Gets beat up in every round against Miguel Cotto in their much anticipated rematch, forcing the doctors to stop the fight due to Margarito's right eye. TKO loss.

Did Margarito cheat throughout his entire career? Or was it a one time thing? The truth we may never know. The way his career has gone ain't helping his case.
            Hard to say, The only fact i know, is that after the first Cotto/Margarito, neither fighter looked the same. I would imagine it's even worst for Margarito since he practically has no defense. Cotto at least has some defense to pro-long his career. Margarito also has had way too much inactivity between maga fights, and i can't blame him since he can't get licensed where there's good money. And after the eye injury, it may be risk to fight these tune ups, let alone get the OK from the commission.
            Then we have the whole wrap scandal to add to the controversy. Clouding over his career. Obviously people started to ask questions over his past wins.

When he came back, Margarito's first fight @ the 154lb limit was against Garcia. Dropped him in the first(looked like a flash kd), and coasted the rest of the rounds. He didn't look as relentless as he used to be, a lot more cautious. Maybe he didn't have the confidence in his punch resistance, to stay inside long enough to work, you know, coming off a KO lost to Mosley might of injected some doubts. Way too many variables changed in Margarito's career(scandal,trainers,inactivity) to try and pin anything on him. I can't say for certain, maybe it was the wraps, but at this point the whole wraps scandal has been twisted around so much, that only Margarito and Capetillo know.

If Margarito cheated, i don't support it, this sport is dangerous as it is, we don't need it. However, as a fan, Margarito possess qualities, that i as a boxing enthusiast, like to see in fighters. From this generation, he was the last from a dying breed of throw back fighters who simply like to go to war and stay inside, poured his heart out in every fight. Reminds me of Brandon Rios. Some may not like it, but i still support Margarito as a fighter.

Comment

look at how he beat Stevie Johnston.... he had metal in his hands... against a journeyman like that i reckon he could get away with MORE plaster.

Comment

most of margarito's best wins were at welterweight, where smaller boxing gloves are used, and his big body frame could be used as an extra advantage.
                his style just didn't convert well to jr. middle, and punches lost in power because of bigger gloves.
                whether he used loaded wraps prior to mosley will never be known, but other things should also be considered.

Comment

These are some absolute facts.

-Margarito is demolishing opponents. Even PW's looked like 1 more round and he would've been knocked down or even possibly KO'd.

-Margarito gets caught with illegal object in handwraps before Mosley fight.

-Margarito looks like he doesn't even belong in the same ring with Mosley.

-Margarito is blown out and TOTALLY outclassed by EVERY good opponent since getting caught. He looks like a journeymen with a good beard along the lines of a Carlos Baldomir.

I don't see how anyone can dispute the points above.

Comment

I do obviously not think everything with Margarito was due to cheating.

I do, however, believe he's been cheating his entire pro career, for every important fight, until he was busted.

Comment

Originally posted by Telepath View Post
                      I do obviously not think everything with Margarito was due to cheating.

I do, however, believe he's been cheating his entire pro career, for every important fight, until he was busted.
                      Margo still has will, stamina and chin.

With that he can beat many weak minded fighters, taking them to places they have never been before.

Comment

Working...
                      X