Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Floyd "retire" in 2007 because he was shook by the 147 division heating up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waaaahhhhh.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      So are you telling me Floyd shouldn't have fought Hatton in Late 07', who was undefeated and Top 10 P4P, and he should have fought Williams, who had one legit one at that point. And Cotto lost to Pacquiao and Margarito, Williams lost to CARLOS QUINTANA.....that's a little different.

I'm saying Floyd still fought Cotto, while he was still a top fighter at that weight.

How do you feel personally about Pacquiao not fighting Joan Guzman, Zahir Raheem, Shane Mosley in 09/10, etc????

I love how people give Floyd grief for fighting Baldomir when Margarito was there, but then when you bring up Pacquiao could have fought Joan Guzman or Joel Casamayor in Mid 2008.....he ended up fighting David Diaz.....

I actually responded partially in another thread (c/p):
      Floyd is P4P #1 or 2, 154 title holder and undefeated, as you say. So he should be OK to fight the top MW champ at 160 because he is higher P4P than anyone at 160? Right?

Why stop there. Marquez was #2 P4P and almost moved up 3 divisions to fight Floyd. Floyd fans keep on saying that being #2 P4P was enough and all that mattered. So then Floyd should have no problem moving up to 168lbs division and fight Ward since Floyd is king at P4P.

Hatton was king at 140 not 147. Had one average looking fight at WW then went back down. Hmmmm! Floyd fought Hatton at 147. Hatton couldn't resist that opportunity. That is all we need to know!

There would be fewer complaints if Floyd then fought true WW but he didn't.

Williams was always possible but Floyd would never go there. Floyd avoided Williams. So did other WWs so he Williams moved on (154...) but always said, if Floyd is ready, I will be ready. Floyd never took him on.

Cotto of today is not the same Cotto. Both were undefeated 5 years ago. Since then Cotto has fought too many wars and lost most. Check out Cotto's record of wins/losses since Margarito fight. His wins were average and few. Several of his losses were devastating. If you care about a loss for Williams then why are you not seeing this about Cotto?

Raheem ducking was a myth but it brings up my next point. Nonsensical since Manny had just lost to Morales PLUS had just moved up to 130!!! ..... but Why the fuss about Raheem? Oh, yes, its because he beat Morales. Who did Manny fight at 135? Oh yes, David Diaz that title holder that beat Morales. By then, who was Raheem? lol!

Manny: How can you possibly call him a ducker in 2008/2009? You realize that you just mentioned names that span from 130 to 147 for a fighter who was fighting Marquez at 130 in 2008? That my friend is the funniest statement of the night!

May I remind you that in 2008/2009, Manny fought: Marquez, Diaz, Oscar, Hatton and Cotto.

Floyd fought in 2008/2009? Oh, yes .... Marquez ONLY at 146lbs! Who came up almost 3 divisions!!!
      Last edited by ADP02; 01-18-2013, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
        So are you telling me Floyd shouldn't have fought Hatton in Late 07', who was undefeated and Top 10 P4P, and he should have fought Williams, who had one legit one at that point. And Cotto lost to Pacquiao and Margarito, Williams lost to CARLOS QUINTANA.....that's a little different.

I'm saying Floyd still fought Cotto, while he was still a top fighter at that weight.

How do you feel personally about Pacquiao not fighting Joan Guzman, Zahir Raheem, Shane Mosley in 09/10, etc????

I love how people give Floyd grief for fighting Baldomir when Margarito was there, but then when you bring up Pacquiao could have fought Joan Guzman or Joel Casamayor in Mid 2008.....he ended up fighting David Diaz.....
        Casamayor was washed up, he was not really any better than David Diaz at that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
          I voted no, but only because he didn't want to do business with Arum IMO. Him not fighting Cotto in 08 is still the biggest problem I have with his career, maybe even more so than Pacquiao.

He didn't avoid Margarito or Williams though, that's ridiculous.
          thats how I see it as well!!...the Cotto fight was bigger than the Pac fight imo

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
            thats how I see it as well!!...the Cotto fight was bigger than the Pac fight imo
            you exaggerating some what the fight was hot for the short period of time between Cotto beating Mosley and losing to Margarito but yeah I wanted to see the fight

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
              There's no way the Cotto fight was bigger than the Pacquiao fight. If Pacquiao would have just said yes in 2009 to the tests than that fight would have happened, imo. Pacquiao's first reluctance is why I view the Cotto fight as a bigger problem.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still horse **** that Floyd didn't end up fighting Pacquiao. That's boxing I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
                There's no way the Cotto fight was bigger than the Pacquiao fight. If Pacquiao would have just said yes in 2009 to the tests than that fight would have happened, imo. Pacquiao's first reluctance is why I view the Cotto fight as a bigger problem.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still horse **** that Floyd didn't end up fighting Pacquiao. That's boxing I suppose.
                all Cotto had to do was keep winning the minute he got to be in the spotlight he lost that's the thing about Cotto he is/was very overrated and can't keep fighting at elite level
                he can beat the Zab judah and malignaggi's of the world but beating a #1 or #2 guy he can't do

Comment

• It funny how Floyd fans say Cotto, Marg, Williams wouldn’t do much for his resume, he would have killed them blah blah blah

But Floyd’s 2 best wins are against fighters with to this day are Corrales and Castillo, he fought them at there best and even with all the beatings and losses they took after the Floyd fights, Floyd gets full credit for beating them, because he fought them at their best, and at their weight class. Those 2 wins show Floyd took some risks through out his career. Beating Williams, Cotto, and Marg would have been equally or better then those 2 wins and would have made his resume look great.

And the fact he retired while the division was stacked is just horrible.

Comment

• Some people seem to be upset with the poll results, not sure why though it's accurate.

Comment

• I feel that Floyd never wanted any part of Williams.

Williams isn't Tommy Hearns but he was a 6'2-6'3 giant who threw non stop punches and kept coming forward.

Floyd didn't have the power to keep Williams off and Williams got a extremely fan friendly style. It's very eye pleasing.. So even if Williams won '5' of the 12 rounds.. judges might view that as a win.

Pacquaio was a risk.... Floyd is a favorite against 2010 Pac.
                      But that verisION OF pac was probably on crack.. so tough fight.

I think he would beat the hell out of Cotto.. but than he struggled a lot more against Cotto than I thought... he would later on during their careers.

Margarito was risky as well.

I duno all four of those guys could probably have seriously pushed Floyd.

07-08 Cotto
                      2010 Pac
                      Prime Williams
                      07-08 Margarito

I'm not saying he will lose to any of them. but those four will easily be 4 of his 6 toughest fights.

Easily

Comment

Working...
                      X