No announcement yet.

Young George Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 26 and Live View Post
    Is it generally agreed upon that young George Foreman couldn't box at all?
    No, it's generally agreed upon that his boxing skills are underrated.

I would pick the Klitschkos over him, particularly Vitali... I'm watching the Ali-Foreman fight and it looks like all he relies on his power. No jab, no defense, no skills... Just get in close and punch hard...
    Watch him fight Norton, or Boone Kirkman. They're both short fights available on Youtube.

He cuts the ring well, he has a great jab, he circles and waits for an opportunity to unload.

He was also probably one of the last boxers to effectively parry punches with his glove, at arms length.

He could also fight at any range. Most men his height couldn't mix it up on the inside.

Comment

Its irritating when people say this. Its true he became very wild after winning the title, because he became arrogant and undisciplined. but he had a very strong jab and deceptively effective defense as well, before that.

watch his boxing ability against Chuvalo

and against the best Soviet boxer in the world, Ionas Chepulis, when he won in the Olympics.

A pretty big contrast between the above and the way he fought Ali and Lyle, if you ask me.

Comment

If Vitali had to face Big George he'd quit on his stool with a shoulder injury BEFORE the fight started.

Poet

Comment

George beats both Klit bros fairly easily.

Comment

Foreman onece KOd 5 people in one day, I think hed take both Klits in one night.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
              Its irritating when people say this. Its true he became very wild after winning the title, because he became arrogant and undisciplined. but he had a very strong jab and deceptively effective defense as well, before that.

watch his boxing ability against Chuvalo

and against the best Soviet boxer in the world, Ionas Chepulis, when he won in the Olympics.

A pretty big contrast between the above and the way he fought Ali and Lyle, if you ask me.
              He looked like a superb boxer against Chuvalo... Not so much in the Olympics.

Thanks for the vids and the education though

Comment

One of the best ever at cutting off the ring, with deceptively good footspeed. You could not box to a decision over prime Foreman.

Comment

Not bad for someone in the Olympic finals with only 20 fights in his life.

Comment

You couldn't avoid him or stop him from coming though. Foreman would have KO'd Wlad.

I've always said the only HW's I'd for sure pick to beat the Klitschko prime for prime/H2H are Ali, Foreman, Holmes, Lewis, and Holyfield.

Foreman was a f**king beast in his prime, that's why when Ali past his prime-still good beat him, it was a HUGE upset at the time, HUGE.

Comment

Well, considering he was 19 and was up against the best boxer in the Soviet Union, who was much more experienced and had knocked out all his previous opponents in the Olympics, I think he looked pretty sharp.

Definitely did look sharper against Chuvalo though, but thats to be expected: more experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X