Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 oz vs 14 oz for overall training purposes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 oz vs 14 oz for overall training purposes?

I'm training to fight amateur soon (178) done a little sparring so far, been training with my coach for 4 months using 16oz Reyes, he reckons I should get some 12's for mitt work but was wondering if that's too light for the heavy bag and I should just get 14's to meet in the middle I plan on using them for both mitts and the bag because the 16's feel sluggish even for the bag, I train mostly on a 200lb bag any thoughts?

I use 12's for everything but sparring thats what you'll likely be using in your fights. The only reason I'd reccomend bigger for training is if you get injured hands easily.

Comment

Don't let your kid wreck his hands using 12's on the heavy bag, esp a 200lb bag. He should really be using 16's on a bag like that. If it feels slugging, good, he'll be flying when he uses 12s on the mitts.
      He might want to do some knuckle headed stuff but you're his dad, look out for his health.

Comment

I would stick to 16oz gloves to minimize damage to your hands. Even at that size, my hands are still worn out after a hard work-out on the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Le_Grand View Post
          I would stick to 16oz gloves to minimize damage to your hands. Even at that size, my hands are still worn out after a hard work-out on the bag.
          I fully agree with that.

Comment

You should train with 16 oz gloves, it is safer for you and your opponents.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts guys

Comment

Working...
              X