• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (UK) Prisoner 'suicidal' 11 years into 10-month jail term

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-409006...onth-jail-term

(link includes a video)

Prisoner 'suicidal' 11 years into 10-month jail term

In 2006 James Ward was serving a 12-month prison sentence for arson, but 11 years later he remains behind bars.

During his time in jail he set fire to the mattress in his cell. As a result he was given an IPP (Imprisonment for Public Protection) sentence of 10 months.

But he remains in jail; there are concerns for his safety because he regularly self-harms.

His family fear he will take his own life.

IPPs were abolished in 2012 but there are more than 3,000 people in England and Wales still serving these sentences, which means they have no release date.

The chairman of the Parole Board, Nick Hardwick, says ministers ''must act now'' to address the backlog.

The Ministry of Justice says it is working closely with the Parole Board to process the cases as quickly as possible and last year achieved the highest number of releases yet.

Zoe Conway reports for BBC Radio 4's Today and the Victoria Derbyshire programme.

14 Aug 2017
    From the section UK

who cares? why do we act like we care about violent losers like this guy who set fires and commit arson? all u social justice warriors doing the complaining will lead to this man being free'd and eventually killing multiple people because his dumbass couldn't control his urges to start fires to peoples homes and buildings.

rot away loser.

Comment

He's in prison because of an administrative backlog.

It's an interesting story because it highlights problems with UK prisons. It's topic-worthy.

Also, prisons are not a social justice issue.

Good job, ignoramus.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post
        He's in prison because of an administrative backlog.

It's an interesting story because it highlights problems with UK prisons. It's topic-worthy.

Also, prisons are not a social justice issue.

Good job, ignoramus.
        at least have the decency to quote me when you speak to me boy.

you can rally for this man to be free'd all you want, but at the end of the day you know and i both know that he will continue to set fires and eventually kill and harm others. then what?

Comment

****ed up shyt.

Comment

IPP. Real meaning of life imprisonment. I think abolishing it was the wrong choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin Sword View Post
              at least have the decency to quote me when you speak to me boy.

you can rally for this man to be free'd all you want, but at the end of the day you know and i both know that he will continue to set fires and eventually kill and harm others. then what?
              It was a random link on at the bottom of a completely separate BBC article I read.

I don't care about the guy, other than to the extent I care about humanity at all, which isn't all that much but is greater than not at all.

Prisons though are a big issue, so it caught my eye and impressed on me as topic-worthy.

Comment

That's really ****ed up. Let the man out, and give him his matches back and accelerants.

Comment

This is what they did to Bronson

Anyway if you are stupid enough to go to prison you at least need to act like you want out
                  Mind you
                  Our prisons are filled with X box and drugs
                  Maybe he wants to be inside
                  He wouldn't be the first

Don't mean to sound nasty but fxck him

Comment

Working...
                  X