No announcement yet.

''If We Look At Marciano's record, he Fought a Bunch of DUCKS!'' - Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
    Maybe, but he wouldn't have to, need to, and not sure a guy as thick as him is healthy doing it. Not everyone is built for that sort of weight cut even today.
    True. It's all speculation on my part. I'm just trying to emphasize how small of a HW he was. And people would be taken aback if they saw a guy his size fighting in the HW division today.

What we do know -is what you stated - that he was a solid little brick/ball of muscle. Lol sort of like the 5'4" MW today - Avtandil Khurtsidze! Dude is a compact ball of muscle! Off-topic, but one of my favorite fights of all-time is his fight against N'Dam N'Jikam - perfect example of long, rangy outside boxer vs come-forward powerful inside technician.

Comment

Simply not true. Moore was RED HOT coming into their fight. Heavyweight might not have been superb, but there were some solid guys and Moore was kicking their ass. Walcott was still a beast in their first fight. It's not as deep as a Johnson (pre-title) or Ali or Holyfield, but he beat plenty of top ten guys. Layne, Matthews, LaStarza: all capable guys. Charles could still fight his ass off and most though he got the business in the fourth Walcott fight.

Rock might get overrated but its inaccurate to go all the other way around and say his resume was ****. It was actually quite solid.
      what in the fnck is layne, la starza, matthews good for ?

walcott had his moments but not enough of them. by the time he and rocky fought, walcott was past it and rocky was prime.

charles was oook.

moore had what, 150 fights before fighting rocky ?!?!?!?

theres no might. rocky definitely way overrated. if he had just 1 L, no one would care about him and his brief reign at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by adrikitty View Post
        I disagree with you on this.

He has a very solid resume.

To remain undefeated in 49 fights ANY era, particularly HW, when everybody has a punchers chance, is phenomenal. ESPECIALLY at his size!

There are some straight murderers on Rock's resume. Joe Louis was not shot like some say when he fought Rock. He definitely wasn't in his PRIME, but far from a shot bum. That version of Joe Louis was still world class, and a beast. Hell, he had ONE loss to Ezzzard Charles (since his loss to Schelling) when he fought Marciano. He was on like an 8-fight winning streak too.
        disagreeing isnt a problem. for me anyway. if its isnt honest then its garbage. imho, rockys opponents were either way past it, close to being past it and/or just average guys. that era and those before it were notorious for any guy off the street being a boxer. fighting 10x a year so they can pay off their bar tab. not mentioning how the mob ran things.

trust me, i dont hate rocky. just the myth.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post

walcott had his moments but not enough of them. by the time he and rocky fought, walcott was past it and rocky was prime.

charles was oook.

theres no might. rocky definitely way overrated. if he had just 1 L, no one would care about him and his brief reign at the top.
          Those were the contenders of his time. Matthews was favored over him if I recall.

I don't care how many fights Moore had. He came in winning like 20+ in a row with several at heavyweight, including two wins over Valdez and the knockout of Baker. And Walcott had more than moments; he was winning and fighting one of the best fights of his career. It's one of the best heavyweight fights of all time for a reason.

Im not arguing Rock as one of the top five heavyweights all time or anything but he didn't have the L and he beat better fighters than he gets credit for in some corners. His resume isn't '****' as you called it. Not even close.

Mayweather's (and many others) can be considered better without reducing an argument to silliness.

Comment

Those were the contenders of his time. Matthews was favored over him if I recall.

I don't care how many fights Moore had. He came in winning like 20+ in a row with several at heavyweight, including two wins over Valdez and the knockout of Baker. And Walcott had more than moments; he was winning and fighting one of the best fights of his career. It's one of the best heavyweight fights of all time for a reason.

Im not arguing Rock as one of the top five heavyweights all time or anything but he didn't have the L and he beat better fighters than he gets credit for in some corners. His resume isn't '****' as you called it. Not even close.

Mayweather's (and many others) can be considered better without reducing an argument to silliness.
            of course not. and im sure you dont care about the bums HE beat either. with a resume like his, it would be impossible for him NOT to have the record he has.

every year there are ''ranked'' opponents. thats how things work. compare them to other rankings and voila. theyre not so impressive after all.

this is turning out to be a yes/no session. i dont like those. weve made our points and were not budging.

that said, rocky was a hell of a puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
              according to sinatra
              And the old men in the barber shop in Coming to America

Louis was shot to bits

Comment

Would agree with this. Marciano had a short run really; beat some solid contenders but he was carefully managed for a significant part of his career. Once he accelerated, he obliterated several top ten contenders and his challengers were better than sometimes recalled. Moore might have been older, but he was clearly the top contender and had beaten guys like Valdez and Baker to get his shot.

That said, Floyd was beating top guys less than two years in and was still beating them right to the end (minus Berto).
                Yep....kid was fighting world class guys from 1998-2015

But but but he a coward doe!!!!!

Comment

Floyd's jealous of Rock's Fight of The Year threepeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
                    1 Champion per division in Marcianos Era, had Marcianio have 5 champions in his divisions he would have beaten more. It is obvious and the "More champions" argument doesn't work when there are 5 champions in the division right now.
                    Lol...you try too hard son

How about this for an argument....

Lineal champs he defeated....a whopping 13 in 49 fights....Genaro Hernandez, Castillo, baldomir, Canelo, Cotto, DLH, Mosley, Judah, Pacquaio, JMM, Corrales, Hatton, Canelo....all were undisputed or lineal champion in their career

This doesn't include those who won major titles like Gatti, Corely, Ortiz, Guerrero, Berto, Mitchell, Maidana(2x) Carlos Hernandez, Jesus Chavez

He clearly fought better opposition and fought world class guys on a consistent basis from 1998-2015..

All the trolling in the world doesn't change facts ..

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post

charles was oook.

I just taught this noob about Harry.

Good for you pal, at least you're one step ahead of the usual know-nothing-know-it-all using recycled opinions.

How about pioneering technique? Or literally anything that would allude to you having some insight into the fifties beyond that someone can find in search in less than twenty minutes?

Comment

Working...
                      X