No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Tony ''Two Ton'' Galento

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey vs Tony ''Two Ton'' Galento

At one stage Jack Dempsey thought Tony ''Two Ton'' Galento had the making of a champion. Dempsey at one time try to persuade Galento to his Montana ranch to toughen him up. Tony gibbed. ''It'II do you the world of good'' argued Dempsey. You will be right away from night clubs and booze'' What's that said Galento, ''No booze?'' Dat's just stoopid, Jack, Booze makes a guy strong''

Due to Dempsey having so much faith in Galento, Ray Arcel agreed to train him. ''I told Jack it was a waste of time and money but he was convinced that Galento could be shaped into a world beaten and since we were good friends I agreed said Arcel.

Right from the start it didnt work, Galento was just bone lazy. Half the time he didnt even bother to turn up at the gym, and when he did he only loafed around. I soon got tired of this and told Dempsey so. ''Take the guy somewere else, Jack I said ''He's driving us all crazy around here''

On afternoon, Dempsey strolled quietly into Stillman's gym on eight avenue and after passing the time of day with several old pals, walked up on to the balcony while Galento was going through the motions of working out. He was fatter than ever, hopelessly out of condition and quite obviously doing nothing about it.

Anyway he didn't see Dempsey and continued waddling lazily around the ring, clowning wisecracking and grinning as he fooled with his sparring parthers. After watching a couple of rounds Dempsey came down to ringside. He was wearing a beautifully - cut light grey suit, tan and white shoes, and white silk shirt and when Tony caught a sight of him, he waved a glove at the ex champ.

''Hiya'' Jack he grinned. ''You look like a million bucks dis afternnon'' Dempsey gave him a mean look, ''never mind how I look, you big bum he said, lets see you do some work''

Galento must have thought he was joking, said Arcel, because he made no atempt to speed up his work and carried on ambling around until Dempsey blew up. ''Have you a pair of Gloves Ray? said Dempsey. Then taking off his coat, he stripped right down to his white silk, monogrammed underpants and vaulted into the ring.

''Now Tony'' he said ''it's you and me. I'II show you how we used to do it'' He began huming a little tune - and old Dempsey mannerism- and then, as Galento backed away, he flashed into action. Jack was turned forty, but his body was as lean and tanned as ever, and for three memorable minutes we saw the old Dempsey, the muderous, tearaway Manassa Mauler of the 1920's.

He ripped punchers into Galento's podgy torso from all angles, split his lips with a terrific left and sent the blood spurting from his nose. ''Lay Off Jack'' Galento gasped as he staggered backwards vainly trying to cover up. But Dempsey showed him no mercy, he chased after him until I called time said Arcel.

Still breathing easily Dempsey ducked under the ropes and began to dress, while Galento stood shaking his head in a semi daze and trying to wipe the blood from his face with the back of his gloves.

When dressed, Dempsey gave him one contemptuous look. ''That's how we used to fight Galento he said. ''Now am through with you, you can find yourself another manager'' and another trainer said Arcel.

You were right Ray, it was a waste of time trying to make a champ out of that chump said Dempsey.

tony was one tough hardhitting man, but dempsey was a black panther .

Comment

Originally posted by JB16 View Post
      At one stage Jack Dempsey thought Tony ''Two Ton'' Galento had the making of a champion. Dempsey at one time try to persuade Galento to his Montana ranch to toughen him up. Tony gibbed. ''It'II do you the world of good'' argued Dempsey. You will be right away from night clubs and booze'' What's that said Galento, ''No booze?'' Dat's just stoopid, Jack, Booze makes a guy strong''

Due to Dempsey having so much faith in Galento, Ray Arcel agreed to train him. ''I told Jack it was a waste of time and money but he was convinced that Galento could be shaped into a world beaten and since we were good friends I agreed said Arcel.

Right from the start it didnt work, Galento was just bone lazy. Half the time he didnt even bother to turn up at the gym, and when he did he only loafed around. I soon got tired of this and told Dempsey so. ''Take the guy somewere else, Jack I said ''He's driving us all crazy around here''

On afternoon, Dempsey strolled quietly into Stillman's gym on eight avenue and after passing the time of day with several old pals, walked up on to the balcony while Galento was going through the motions of working out. He was fatter than ever, hopelessly out of condition and quite obviously doing nothing about it.

Anyway he didn't see Dempsey and continued waddling lazily around the ring, clowning wisecracking and grinning as he fooled with his sparring parthers. After watching a couple of rounds Dempsey came down to ringside. He was wearing a beautifully - cut light grey suit, tan and white shoes, and white silk shirt and when Tony caught a sight of him, he waved a glove at the ex champ.

''Hiya'' Jack he grinned. ''You look like a million bucks dis afternnon'' Dempsey gave him a mean look, ''never mind how I look, you big bum he said, lets see you do some work''

Galento must have thought he was joking, said Arcel, because he made no atempt to speed up his work and carried on ambling around until Dempsey blew up. ''Have you a pair of Gloves Ray? said Dempsey. Then taking off his coat, he stripped right down to his white silk, monogrammed underpants and vaulted into the ring.

''Now Tony'' he said ''it's you and me. I'II show you how we used to do it'' He began huming a little tune - and old Dempsey mannerism- and then, as Galento backed away, he flashed into action. Jack was turned forty, but his body was as lean and tanned as ever, and for three memorable minutes we saw the old Dempsey, the muderous, tearaway Manassa Mauler of the 1920's.

He ripped punchers into Galento's podgy torso from all angles, split his lips with a terrific left and sent the blood spurting from his nose. ''Lay Off Jack'' Galento gasped as he staggered backwards vainly trying to cover up. But Dempsey showed him no mercy, he chased after him until I called time said Arcel.

Still breathing easily Dempsey ducked under the ropes and began to dress, while Galento stood shaking his head in a semi daze and trying to wipe the blood from his face with the back of his gloves.

When dressed, Dempsey gave him one contemptuous look. ''That's how we used to fight Galento he said. ''Now am through with you, you can find yourself another manager'' and another trainer said Arcel.

You were right Ray, it was a waste of time trying to make a champ out of that chump said Dempsey.
      Nice piece of history. I'd never heard that before. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JB16 View Post

Thankyou i love reading little tit-bits on boxing history

Comment

Good post.. If Dempsey/Arcell could'nt motivate him, he must've been a slob..

Comment

That was a great story! What a fighter Dempsey was!

Comment

Working...
            X