Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: Canelo-Golovkin Winner is No. 1 Pound-for-Pound

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScottWeiland View Post
    All food for thought I suppose and I'm not questioning the wins on Canelo's record only the time surpassed since winning them because of his lacklustre choices of opposition the last 18 months and standard showing versus Chavez where I'd really have liked him to show a willingness to go through the gears and taken him out.

His wins are worthy of him being ranked highly but how long should he be able to remain at the lofty position feasting on those wins ?

Canelo has most certainly a superior resume to GGG only the manner in which ggg has won against his opponent appears to have him held in higher regard yet against a lower quality of opponent.
    Again thats truue ,and you ask a good question ,how long someones wins can make him top fighter if his not takeing challanges after them ,IMO if fighter is not showing any drops in form they can be counted ,look at Cotto ,he looked good in Nelo fight ,not only in pure boxing sense but physicaly ,Imo Cotto is still top fighter and a real threat in 154,its no more chinny 147 Cotto.

as For GGG vs Nelo resume and status on this forum its something like Garcia vs Lucas

Comment

Miranda, Kessler, Green, Bika, Abraham, Froch, Dawson, Rodriguez, Barrera, Kovalev x2.

Name me one active fighter with a better resume then that.

I'll wait.

****, name me a fighter with a better resume in the past 10 years not named Pacquiao or Mayweather.

I'll wait.

Comment

Being honest a lot depends on how one beats the other one, the first time Ward beat Kov. not a lot of people had Ward as the #1 P4P but after the second fight a lot of people put him on #1 (Including myself).

I would not have a problem with the winner landing at #5 in any fashion.

If one of these dudes were to destroy the other one I'd put the winner in #3.

But they definitely deserve a top stop after this fight, both have earned their stripes.

Comment

Canelo was expected to beat the smaller man, it's hardly some crowning achievement. He dwarfed Cotto yet never truly had him hurt at any stage, against Chavez he showed no depth and one gear never pushing for a stoppage against a fighter clearly dead on the scales, same could be said of Cotto he out weighed him massively fight night and again never really hurt him or pushed for a stoppages should we even debate the Kirkland and Khan fights we're trying not to detract here right ?
          now you just lying. The fight was a virtual 50/50 fight going in Cotto was on everyone's top 10 p4p rankings with many saying with Roach now training him he looked the best he's ever looked. Tons of experts, fighters, fans were picking Cotto to beat Canelo. Canelo beats him and does it easily and now people like yourself want to rewrite history like Cotto wasn't highly regarded going in. And you act like knocking out Chavez is easy to do. By round 3 his eye was swollen up and he was leaking from the nose the man quit went into survival mode refused to throw any punches out of fear of getting further hurt. Chavez has never been dropped at 160 or 168. He's only been down once against a light heavyweight and even that man couldn't put him down for good. We can say tons of things about Chavez but one thing you can't say is that he doesn't have one of if not the best chin in all of boxing.

And laughing at you complaining about Canelo beating guys like Chavez, Khan, Kirkland When these guys would all make the top 5 for best opponents on GGG's entire resume. Matter fact Able and GGG said Chavez is their dream fight lol
          Last edited by bigdunny1; 06-23-2017, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I like Frank Lotierzo's list better!

June 22, 2017:

Our veteran boxing analyst Frank Lotierzo checked in recently to talk about the current “P4P” lists. Lotierzo looks at the current P4p list offered by The Ring and carefully dissects it to come up with a Top P4P list for us here a The Boxing Channel.

The RING Top 10 p4p:

#1 Andre Ward
            #2 Gennady Golovkin
            #3 Roman Gonzalez
            #4 Terence Crawford
            #5 Vasyl Lomachenko
            #6 Guillermo Rigondeaux
            #7 Sergey Kovalev
            #8 Saul Alvarez
            #9 Shinsuke Yamanaka
            #10 Naoya Inoue

Lotierzo’s Top 10 p4p:

#1 Terence Crawford
            #2 Andre Ward
            #3 Roman Gonzalez
            #4 Guillermo Rigondeaux
            #5 Vasyl Lomachenko
            #6 Mikey Garcia
            #7 Anthony Joshua
            #8 Gennady Golovkin
            #9 Saul Alvarez
            #10 Naoya Inoue

http://www.boxingchannel.tv/boxing-p4p-frank-lotierzo/

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
              you are good poster Scott ,but from what i rember ,Cotto was favorite in many fans and Boxers/trainers eyes
              yup tons were picking Cotto to win some even predicting he would knock Canelo out. Once Canelo beat him all a sudden Cotto is old, small, and a bum? SMH

Comment

Canelo ain't even a top ten p4p fighter imo, a win for Golovkin over him does relative little to advance him to fifth let alone second behind Ward.
                With all due respect bro, and I will elaborate on this.

GGG
                Amateur Record - 345-5 (Never touched the canvas)
                Pro Record . 37-0 with 33 KO's (Never touched the canvas)
                Current WBA, WBA, IFB, IBO Unified Middeweight Champion of the World.

Canelo

Amateur Record - 44-2 (Never touched the canvas)
                Pro Record - 49-1-1 (Never touched the canvas, only loss to the best boxer of the last generation)
                Former WBC, WBO WBA SuperWelterweight Champion of the World.
                Former WBC, Current Lineal and Ring Middeweight Champion of the World.

Combined Amateur Records- 389-7
                Combined Pro Records - 86-1-1 (67 KO's)

A win over Golovkin puts him automatically at #5 or more and visceversa a win over Canelo would put GGG at #5 or more.

These guys are top of the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Cotto wasn't top 5 p4p when Canelo beat him.
                  Not sure he was top 5 but there was a strong case for him being in the top 10 P4P because he had beaten the Lineal and P4P Sergio Martinez and came from Knocking out Geale one round after GGG did it.

So Cotto was a legit P4P guy at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                    dominated and easily beat Cotto who was a top 5 P4P on everybody's rankings just 18 months ago. Chocalito lost, Ward has 2 controversial wins, GGG has looked shaky in his last 2 fights with many feeling he lost to Jacobs. If Canelo dominates GGG who is #2 on a lot of these lists he will have a argument for that spot. Same with GGG if he dominates Canelo. If either guy wins but it's a close fight Ward easily is #1. There is no Mayweather right now, a guy head and shoulders above everyone else.
                    Ward's two wins were not controversial especially the second one did you not see the rest of the fight or you just saw the ending?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                      You asked me what has Canelo done in the last 18-24 months. Well he beat cotto that same stretch now you saying 18 months is too long ago? SMH

since then he's dominated every fighter he's faced while other top p4p fighters have lost or had controversial wins. And are you really asking what has cotto or canelo done to be ranked that high? What has GGG done to deserve to be ranked that high? Beat a bunch of no named tomato cans and then look bad against brook and Jacobs? The same P4P lists that have GGG in their top 10 also have Canelo. I don't care how much you fan boys want to cry about it every reputable website that ranks fighters have canelo in their top 10. ESPN, RING, Boxrec, all of them.
                      Really? He dominated the fighters he faced because they weren't top caliber fighters. In his whole career Canelo has faced 3 legit threats in Trout, Floyd and Lara, Cotto too if you want call him a threat. In all those fights, Canelo hasn't dominated or looked impressive. Canelo looks impressive against over matched opponents and old fighters. Those P4P struggled or lost because they were facing top opposition.

Comment

Working...
                      X