Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I watched the fight with a bunch of casuals on Saturday.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vadrigar. View Post
    Mayweather does the same thing for 12 rounds that Keith did for 3, yet gets a pass.
    Mayweather is an acccelerated point man. At any given rate Mayweather does not just lateral around without striking. That's how judges rate Floyd's standards. If Floyd just "ran" around his compubox would show and he would lose those rounds.

Comparing Thurman to Floyd is stupid. Compare them after Thurman has gone to LHW

Comment

I don't think your friends are casual at all, they just don't like boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        I did my best explaining how big a fight this was -- a unification fight (had to explain unification to them), two top five (in the world), arguably top 3 welters in the ring together, both of whom came in undefeated and in their primes.

So yeah I probably set the expectations a bit high for these casuals, but whatever, it really was a big fight. They asked me if I would've paid a full price PPV price tag for it and I said I would have (which is true).

So after the fight, no check that, even during the fight...around the 8 round mark, they were already groaning and talking **** about how lame the fight was.

One guy asked me, "is this how every single boxing fight is?"

I told him "no, not at all", but you could tell that in his mind, THAT (Thurman vs Garcia) was every boxing fight ever in the history of boxing. Another was like, "the last five fights I've seen were just as boring as this one".

I've always tried my best to defend the sport, but f**k it, I'm done, I mean either you like it or you don't.

Would I have liked to see Thurman not hop on his bike for the last few rounds? Obviously. I don't wanna call the dude a b*tch, because the guy would obviously lay me the f**k out in the first tenth of the first second of the first round, but come on, man. There was a chance for Keith to really make a statement and emphatically whoop Danny's ass, but instead he opted for what was basically boxing's version of football's prevent defense. I'm not saying you gotta be stupid and reckless just for the sake of entertainment, but there's a medium somewhere, isn't there? The dude may as well have been on a ten speed bicycle for f**k's sake.

But anyway, I digress. The casuals are bloodthirsty -- they wanna see brutal KO's and high drama in the ring. And if that don't happen then to them, the fight "sucks", and the whole entire sport "sucks". They don't grasp the concept that sometimes it's possible to have two highly skilled champions in the ring that doesn't produce guaranteed fireworks, and that yes, sometimes it's way more of a chess match than it is a bloodbath.

But I guarantee you this...fair or not, Saturday night didn't help the sport. It only reinforced why the vast majority of the public doesn't go out of their way to watch boxing.
        Highly skilled professionals?

I'm not so sure about the highly part. Thurman either lunges with shots or tries to "box" from the outside which basically means he literally jogs. Theres nothing high about it.

You can be a top level boxer who can also hurt opponents, see Pacquiao, Leonard, Hearns, Duran and Chavez Sr.

This bs idea about how skilled a fighter is simply because he jogged around a ring is a by product of the modern age. Its not boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          This bs idea about how skilled a fighter is simply because he jogged around a ring is a by product of the modern age. Its not boxing.
          By today's standards, both Thurman & Garcia are A level.

Now whether that's a product of a watered down/lackluster era or not is a different debate altogether.

Comment

Have those people watch the Golovkin card. They'll enjoy proper violence with guys who know how to punch.

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
              I don't think your friends are casual at all, they just don't like boxing.
              Yeah this is probably closer to the truth. That said, they will watch a few fights a year and let me know about it. But no they won't go out of their way to watch it unless it's an enormous fight.

The one dude who asked me if every fight was like this is/was a huge Floyd fan, ironically. He told me after Thurman/Garcia that the only fighter he'll ever pay to watch is Floyd.

They were actually kinda excited for this fight in particular...until 8 rounds were in the books and they realized that the high point of the fight came 7 rounds ago, and that there wasn't going to be any dramatic moment(s) or highlight reel KO coming.

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
              Have those people watch the Golovkin card. They'll enjoy proper violence with guys who know how to punch.
              Lol yeah I was thinking about this after Thurman/Garcia...GGG is the safest bet for casuals. Which by the way surprises me how he hasn't caught on with them. I mean yes, we all are aware around here about his middling competition, but since when do casuals give a **** about a fighter's strength of schedule? They just wanna see dudes get dropped and stopped. And Gennady is the surest bet of any fighter on earth when it comes to that.

Comment

I see a lot of blaming mayweather and Thurman..No blaming their opponents for not pushing the action..Sounds stupid a ring is four corners learn how to cut it off..

I get ts point, but I'm a fan of boxing, and there's s reason why you called those guys casual, they are a fan of fighting..They are not the same thing..

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  Highly skilled professionals?

I'm not so sure about the highly part. Thurman either lunges with shots or tries to "box" from the outside which basically means he literally jogs. Theres nothing high about it.

You can be a top level boxer who can also hurt opponents, see Pacquiao, Leonard, Hearns, Duran and Chavez Sr.

I disagree, Leonard and srr both oh and Ali all moved around the ring..There was a different level of opponent tho..One that knew how tho cut a ring off and what to do once they did..Fighters who took more risk, that's what's changed in boxing..Everyone scared to be a victim of world star..

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                    I see a lot of blaming mayweather and Thurman..No blaming their opponents for not pushing the action..Sounds stupid a ring is four corners learn how to cut it off..
                    Yeah that's definitely true. I kinda faulted Thurman for getting on his bike...but like you said, cut off the damn ring and force dude to fight. Instead Danny just followed him around aimlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      I did my best explaining how big a fight this was -- a unification fight (had to explain unification to them), two top five (in the world), arguably top 3 welters in the ring together, both of whom came in undefeated and in their primes.

So yeah I probably set the expectations a bit high for these casuals, but whatever, it really was a big fight. They asked me if I would've paid a full price PPV price tag for it and I said I would have (which is true).

So after the fight, no check that, even during the fight...around the 8 round mark, they were already groaning and talking **** about how lame the fight was.

One guy asked me, "is this how every single boxing fight is?"

I told him "no, not at all", but you could tell that in his mind, THAT (Thurman vs Garcia) was every boxing fight ever in the history of boxing. Another was like, "the last five fights I've seen were just as boring as this one".

I've always tried my best to defend the sport, but f**k it, I'm done, I mean either you like it or you don't.

Would I have liked to see Thurman not hop on his bike for the last few rounds? Obviously. I don't wanna call the dude a b*tch, because the guy would obviously lay me the f**k out in the first tenth of the first second of the first round, but come on, man. There was a chance for Keith to really make a statement and emphatically whoop Danny's ass, but instead he opted for what was basically boxing's version of football's prevent defense. I'm not saying you gotta be stupid and reckless just for the sake of entertainment, but there's a medium somewhere, isn't there? The dude may as well have been on a ten speed bicycle for f**k's sake.

But anyway, I digress. The casuals are bloodthirsty -- they wanna see brutal KO's and high drama in the ring. And if that don't happen then to them, the fight "sucks", and the whole entire sport "sucks". They don't grasp the concept that sometimes it's possible to have two highly skilled champions in the ring that doesn't produce guaranteed fireworks, and that yes, sometimes it's way more of a chess match than it is a bloodbath.

But I guarantee you this...fair or not, Saturday night didn't help the sport. It only reinforced why the vast majority of the public doesn't go out of their way to watch boxing.
                      Great insight but let's be honest.

We both watch a lot of boxing and fights come in various forms. If it was a bloodbath and casuals loved it they would be getting an unrealistic perception of what boxing is about. They will watch next months slow paced fight and be bored and turned away.

You can't get into this sport regularly if you are only entertained by one type of fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X