Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Day in a boxing gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was pretty much exactly what happened on my first day. But it's all about communication mate. Soo many guys wonder round this planet trying to be the hard man. You dont have to be a stone cold, unemotional unfriendly hardman to box. in fact, i'd say it was the opposite.
    Go back in and say hi to these guys, get there opinion on things but most important of all make eye contact when you speak to them, you'll soon get a much better idea on who you can talk to and who you cant. Dont get me wrong, some guys when there boxing want to not be disturbed so they can concentrate. And fair play to them, But just approach them in a break and introduce yourself. You have loads in common after all, your a guy and you wanna box!
    Simple as

Comment

My experience two weeks at a boxing gym.

The first day I went to the gym, I signed up and started training. There was a guy at a counter by the door who told me how things worked and directed me to the trainer who owns the gym. I approached him, and he asked me what I signed up for (they do personal training and regular boxing club training). I told him I signed up for the monthly boxing membership. He then directed me to shadow box and sent a kid over to teach me all the basics. The owner rarely talks to me. I just do the same thing he taught me the previous day until he decides to speak to me again and expand on my training. There are all ages of people training from five to 50 year olds. Some come in with people who work the mitts with them and some show up and exercise by themselves. I've made friends with people who've been there for awhile and we exercise together and they give me advice and motivation. I wish the owner would provide more guidance, but there are a lot of people there exercising and sparing, and he supervises most of them. He doesn't talk that much to people he doesn't know and he can disappear for the whole day. I'm going to keep going as long as I keep improving. I'm a boxing fan, so being around boxers, watching the sparring and training add value to the membership as well.

Comment

Who ever took your membership money should be able to direct you who to see for structure.
        Are you training in Manchester Ct.?

You also need to be out going and introduce yourself to the trainers and members. Join in on the gym's vibe and be a part of the culture.

Good luck
        Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          It's expensive, but get some one-on-one training. You need to develop correct form or you may just be teaching yourself bad habits. Proper form involves more things than you'd ever imagine. One week with a good trainer will teach you more than you'd learn in a year of watching videos and training by yourself.
          Most definitely. The boxing gym I used to go to had actual classes for an hour each evening. There was one trainer on Tuesday/Thursday who was pretty intense/brutal and sometimes I'd be the only person who went to his class and those were the times I grew the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
            Most definitely. The boxing gym I used to go to had actual classes for an hour each evening. There was one trainer on Tuesday/Thursday who was pretty intense/brutal and sometimes I'd be the only person who went to his class and those were the times I grew the most.
            You have to see the personal training rates at Randy Couture's MMA gym, especially if your want Couture to be the coach. May as well mortgage the house.

Comment

Originally posted by glcv View Post
              Should I just consult the trainers and not feel so awkward about it?
              Yea man of course! If you're scared to talk to a trainer, I mean come on dude --- take your skirt off.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                Yea man of course! If you're scared to talk to a trainer, I mean come on dude --- take your skirt off.
                this and this

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                  sounds like me when I wanted to ask my girlfriend for a ******.

Comment

You need to go to a boxing gym that teaches classes. I go 3 times a week for 1 hour. The head trainer is an ex pro. I participate in class 2 of those days each week and on Thursday I spar in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by glcv View Post
                      Well someone told I'd get better responses here so I re posted this.-

So I suppose you could say im a beginner boxer, and I took my first step today by signing up at a gym that appealed to me. I didn't know what to expect my first day and I was apprehensive; it honestly is a little intimidating knowing there are pros in there with so much more experience. I know just about nothing about boxing but im willing to learn anything as I want to compete as an amateur someday.

I'm in good shape, wrestled for four years and ran XC for five. I cant run far anymore, no more than 3 miles, as I injured myself during a marathon 3 months ago. I suppose this on top of watching Mike Tyson's fights is what inspired me.

It wasn't like I expected, after I signed up during my whole 3 hour workout nobody said anything to me and I suppose I should take the initiative? I just didn't know what to do, I want to learn to box and I was hoping someone would take me to the side and teach me some basics to work on but the whole group felt unapproachable. I would feel stupid just hammering away at the heavy bag alone incorrectly so I didn't even put on gloves today. What should I do? I intend to keep showing up every morning at opening and working hard as when I decide to do something I do it 100%; should I just consult the trainers and not feel so awkward about it?
                      A good boxing gym is when you walk in and their is a massive stench of sweat, and trainers wondering about looking mega annoyed with everyone and a few specs of blood ....

Comment

Working...
                      X