Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone explain Errol Spence's layoff?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet everything I have that he isn't getting paid 3.5 million for this fight. That's a bull**** report. Thurman-Garcia got paid 1.5 EACH for their unification bout and Spence is going to make more than both of them combined.........for PETERSON?

Comment

He couldn't get anybody good to fight him until Peterson agreed to fight him. He wants to fight 3 times in 2018. That would be above average for champions these days with most champs fighting twice a year.

Comment

Nobody wanted to fight him.

Thurman was hurt.
        Shawn Porter straight up said no.
        Garcia coming off a loss.

Comment

He's still too dangerous a risk for fighters to simply just raise their hand for.

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
          He won the title in May of 2017 and his first defense is in January of 2018. Now before anyone accuses me of anything, I'm not blaming Haymon or PBC or anything like that. I honestly just want to know what the hell happened. There are no injuries that I knew of. Spence seemed eager to fight too, so I can't blame him. I do think that was too much time off given the circumstances. In my opinion, they needed to build off that huge win. It's not good to be on the shelf as a young champion, especially if you're trying to become a star and everyone seems to be avoiding you. Staying active will give him the better chance of securing the big fights he wants. I'm a huge fan of Spence. I hope this isn't going to be a trend.
          Thurman got hurt, Danny Garcia took time off, and Shawn Porter seems to want to fight everyone else but Spence Jr.

You add that he's on the cusp of breaking through, and it's not like he was going to get better work fighting a stumblebum than he'd get by hard sparring against Jermell Charlo and others in the gym.

A big stage opened up, Lamont Peterson stepped up to take the fight (can easily rate him in the top 15 at the weight, if not top 10), and now we've got a good fight (between the two bells, we're only talking about 6 months of a break).

If he gets through the Peterson fight in style, the next logical fight would earnestly be against Shawn Porter (which Porter likely tries to walk passed).

With Keith Thurman getting back into things with a fight after his injury, and Danny Garcia vs Brandon Rios is seemingly still on track for early 2018, Spence likely gets another little break in his schedule.

Still, once the unification fight happens, and if Spence gets the win, he becomes the WBC/WBA/IBF 147lb champion, and then everyone will then have to put Spence Jr's name in their mouths.

Comment

Gots to cycle them roids........Floyd taught him everything he knows.

Comment

you aren't blaming haymon? why not? occams razor

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
                Holy sh%t, for Peterson? That's unification money lol.
                TBH it will be one of the best fights in 2018. Watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
                  Now before anyone accuses me of anything, I'm not blaming Haymon or PBC or anything like that.
                  That's your first mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                    I bet everything I have that he isn't getting paid 3.5 million for this fight. That's a bull**** report. Thurman-Garcia got paid 1.5 EACH for their unification bout and Spence is going to make more than both of them combined.........for PETERSON?
                    Thurman and Garcia got $2M each. $4M total. Not hard to see Spence $3.5M Peterson 500K. $4M total. Especially because GBP was offering Spence a contract that included a Cotto fight. Showtime had to put up some money and the budget starts fresh at each new year.

Comment

remember you all said ward was ducking krusher?

Comment

Working...
                      X