Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name 6 fighters that are active today who could go down as all time greats and why

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wlad for sure.

Comment

What exactly does "all time great" mean? I feel people throw this phrase around in a vague way.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        why? kinda curious why you're on the fence with ward and he has done alot more than say Thurman(dude has only beaten like 2 top ten ww's his entire career)

Ward has had one close fight in 31 fights, his entire career, is a 2 division champion and has a better resume than all the aforementioned fighters on your list

what do are somethings you think he can do to win you over besides beat Kov clearly in June
        My thing with Ward is that all of his biggest wins came against guys who were very similar in style. They were flat-footed brawlers or stiff Euro-style fighters. If someone can point out what was so special about Abraham, Kessler, Froch and Dawson I'd be interested in hearing it. Many have argued that Froch and Kovalev were robbed, Dawson drained himself down to 168. I don't see clear domination over nuanced fighters with speed, power, skills when it comes to Ward.

Thurman has been in against different styles but he still has a way to go. A long way before he is considered an ATG in my book but he has the potential.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          My thing with Ward is that all of his biggest wins came against guys who were very similar in style. They were flat-footed brawlers or stiff Euro-style fighters. If someone can point out what was so special about Abraham, Kessler, Froch and Dawson I'd be interested in hearing it. Many have argued that Froch and Kovalev were robbed, Dawson drained himself down to 168. I don't see clear domination over nuanced fighters with speed, power, skills when it comes to Ward.

Thurman has been in against different styles but he still has a way to go. A long way before he is considered an ATG in my book but he has the potential.
          Thurman has fought 2 universally ranked opponents and ward has beaten over a half a dozen and 6 former world champions...froch may get in the hall

just asking you this but whats special about Sosa, Walters, Russell...none of them have done very much....doesn't stop people from prematurely anointing Lomachenko as P4P

Froch, Dawson, Kessler were all at the bottom half of the p4p list for long stretches in their careers...and when he fought them...they were a lot more proven than anyone Loma, Thurman and every one you listed has beaten

honestly it just seems like a matter of preference, to style or something else..i respect your opinion bro but ward has a better resume and is more proven than all those guys

Comment

Thurman has fought 2 universally ranked opponents and ward has beaten over a half a dozen and 6 former world champions...froch may get in the hall

just asking you this but whats special about Sosa, Walters, Russell...none of them have done very much....doesn't stop people from prematurely anointing Lomachenko as P4P

Froch, Dawson, Kessler were all at the bottom half of the p4p list for long stretches in their careers...and when he fought them...they were a lot more proven than anyone Loma, Thurman and every one you listed has beaten

honestly it just seems like a matter of preference, to style or something else..i respect your opinion bro but ward has a better resume and is more proven than all those guys
            I haven't anointed Loma just yet. He has a way to go. He needs to get some big wins over Linares and/or Mikey, and do some unification. However, it will be difficult (it already is) for him to get these title fights since champions in two divisions have already been ducking him.

I'm not so impressed with where Froch, Kessler and Dawson were ranked because they were in weak divisions and their skills are limited. Froch being the best of the bunch, but it was a controversial decision.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              I haven't anointed Loma just yet. He has a way to go. He needs to get some big wins over Linares and/or Mikey, and do some unification. However, it will be difficult (it already is) for him to get these title fights since champions in two divisions have already been ducking him.

I'm not so impressed with where Froch, Kessler and Dawson were ranked because they were in weak divisions and their skills are limited. Froch being the best of the bunch, but it was a controversial decision.
              if loma beats salido, and mikey I say he is # 1 p4p for sure

I don't think Loma is being ducked by anyone at 135, he has never fought there...Mikey has said in many taped interviews he is down to fight Loma whenever

as far as 130, I haven't heard anyone who is a top guy avoid him, unless I missed something

as far as 168 being weak...that era that had Dirrell, Ward, Froch, Taylor, Abraham, Bika, Kessler, etc. was one of the deepest at the weight in the last 20 plus years, probably the deepest ever

168 was always a dead zone.....from 2008-2013 it was loaded.

I guess we can agree to disagree on that matter but at least the best fought the best and left no room for speculation

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
                What exactly does "all time great" mean? I feel people throw this phrase around in a vague way.
                a fighter who could compete and beat the best in any era.

example...Bernard Hopkins is an all time great and I could see him as the champion or competing for the title at 160 in any era

roy jones....no explanation needed

Pernell whitaker would be elite in any era at 135

Floyd is an all time great and throw him in any era at 130-140 in his prime and he beats or competes with the absolute best at his best weights

Comment

Pac, cotto and Wlad. Other than that there's nothing solid.

Bradley has the best shout.

Kovalev if he avenges the ward loss, especially if he does it well. And goes on to beat Stevenson plus any other top fighter that might pop up.

Ggg if he wins a title at smw and beats some top fighters.

The others are too far behind.

Comment

if loma beats salido, and mikey I say he is # 1 p4p for sure

I don't think Loma is being ducked by anyone at 135, he has never fought there...Mikey has said in many taped interviews he is down to fight Loma whenever

as far as 130, I haven't heard anyone who is a top guy avoid him, unless I missed something

as far as 168 being weak...that era that had Dirrell, Ward, Froch, Taylor, Abraham, Bika, Kessler, etc. was one of the deepest at the weight in the last 20 plus years, probably the deepest ever

168 was always a dead zone.....from 2008-2013 it was loaded.

I guess we can agree to disagree on that matter but at least the best fought the best and left no room for speculation
                    Jezreel Corrales won't fight Loma, even down in Panama. He was also ducked at 126 by Rigo.

As for 168 being stacked at that time, it was stack with marginal fighters. We're not talking Jones, Toney, Calzaghe caliber fighters that Ward was beating. Most of them were B-rate at best by anyone's standards. If I start a thread and tout the greatness of Kessler, Bika, Abraham or Green I will get laughed out of the forum. But suddenly they are elites when Ward beats them? I don't know. I'm not hating on Ward, outside the ring I like the guy and respect how he carries himself. But inside the ring I question his accomplishments. Honestly, his record is only slightly better than Sven Ottke who held wins over Glen Johnson, Thomas Tate, Anthony Mundine, Charles Brewer, and Silvio Branco.

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
                      Ward and Gonzalez are hall of famers already.

Maybe Golovkin, but that's not 100%, it depends on his next career moves

Kovalev....don't think so. He has to beat Ward and move up to Cruiserweight division

Sweet Tea Crawford and Lomachenko got the potential for that, that's why they're my favorite fighters right now. Lomachenko became best amateur ever at only 25. I'm interested in seeing how they develop their careers, they'll write the history in front of your eyes and I like fighters who's busy defensively and offensively

Rigondeaux could be hall of famer, but he's mismanaged and his career is going nowhere, same can be said about a lot of cubans

If you want 6 current names - Ward, Gonzalez, Lomachenko, Crawford, Canelo, Golovkin
                      I don't understand why should Kovalev move to Cruiser. LHW is historically more significant division. He does not have trouble making weight. Why can't he beat Ward and continue to campaign in LHW? There is not a shortage of quality contenders here: Beterbiev, Gvozdyk, etc. With Cruiser limit of 200 he will be severely undersized...

I can't think of any reason for such move.

Comment

Working...
                      X