No announcement yet.

Gassed out? Floyds Strategy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shogunofharlem1 View Post
    Thanks for the answers. My question then becomes "Would that make someone like Antonio Margarito particulary dangerous for Floyd considering hes pretty much a non-thinking stalker who wouldnt be worried about counter punches since he pretty much blocks everything with his face." This forcing floyd into the postion of Cotto last week in which hes the fighter being pressured and constantly moving. Although Cotto was clearly beating Margarito last week it was pretty clear that the effort involved was huge and arguebly was wearing cotto out before the fight was stopped.
    It could, but I highly doubt it. Unlike Cotto, and Shane to some extent, Floyd has proved he doesn't have to be able to hurt you to win. I see a fight vs. any version of Margarito being a 12 round boxing lesson that most casual fans would find boring.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. My question then becomes "Would that make someone like Antonio Margarito particulary dangerous for Floyd considering hes pretty much a non-thinking stalker who wouldnt be worried about counter punches since he blocks everything with his face." This forcing floyd into the postion of Cotto last week in which hes the fighter being pressured and constantly moving. Although Cotto was clearly beating Margarito last week it was pretty clear that the effort involved was huge and arguebly was wearing cotto out before the fight was stopped.
      did you see the corrales fight or the baldomir fight?

Comment

A lot of people have hit it on the nose already, and it's how i've seen it for a while; Mayweather can make it seem like fighters have gassed or gassed early, but it's a combination of expending a lot of energy for a very minimal result, and being mentally frustrated at the fact what always works for you isn't doing it. Not to mention the accurate payback dished out on the regular for damn every mistake.

I gotta be honest with you though about 2 things:

First, his conditioning is unmatched by anyone i've ever seen in boxing & that's my honest opinion. He's excellent at conserving energy, but when he needs to he can push himself, it just so happens he rarely needs to.

Second, I don't buy for 1 second that he doesn't watch his opponent's fights, that's just some bull**** to say to make himself seem even that much greater. He boxes when he needs to box, he stands when he needs to stand and he walks his opponents down when he needs to, I've almost never seen him go into a fight with the wrong game plan, even when he's losing early rounds he's doing exactly what earns him the win in the long run.

Comment

floyds style puts alot of pressure on your mentally. if he senses any weakness or hesistation you are screwed. he was eating ortiz alive with lead rights and checks. dude had never seen anything like it. cotto would give up way sooner than margarito and pac made him.

Comment

On the physical side of things: Underrated body work, plus his defense, and ring generalship usually means you are gonna fight at his pace.

On the mental side of things he's a superb counter puncher so you have to make a more conscious effort to stay in position, not over extend on punches, etc... or else something will be coming back. Hell even if you did everything right a lot of times he could still get you and that in itself will also wear you down physically.
            Last edited by Biolink; 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Floyd obviously mastered the art of exhausting his foes using their own power against them, as well as psychologically beating them with his taunts.

A good question is, would it be enough to make manny lose his steam?

The only way to truly find out is for them to get it on in the ring IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
                did you see the corrales fight or the baldomir fight?
                True but chico was ripped apart and baldomir is not as relentless. Its almost guaranteed that margarito will be just following floyd the whole fight (and taking his time just like the cotto fight). Just curious since both seem to put a huge amount of pressure on their opponents.

Comment

True but chico was ripped apart and baldomir is not as relentless. Its almost guaranteed that margarito will be just following floyd the whole fight (and taking his time just like the cotto fight). Just curious since both seem to put a huge amount of pressure on their opponents.
                  diego followed him around like margarito would baldomir has a chin like margarito does and the only edge margarito has over those 2 is probably his body punches so i can't see a fight with margarito playing out any better for margarito than it did for baldomir or corrales.margarito put pressure on cotto yet didn't win a round on most peoples score card so how would he win rounds against floyd?does floyd have a history of gassin out? has floyd been kd or stopped? mayweather is better than cotto in every way possible but most importantly a better counter puncher better movement and better defense

Comment

floyds conditioning>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cottos conditioning

Comment

Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
                      diego followed him around like margarito would baldomir has a chin like margarito does and the only edge margarito has over those 2 is probably his body punches so i can't see a fight with margarito playing out any better for margarito than it did for baldomir or corrales.margarito put pressure on cotto yet didn't win a round on most peoples score card so how would he win rounds against floyd?does floyd have a history of gassin out? has floyd been kd or stopped? mayweather is better than cotto in every way possible but most importantly a better counter puncher better movement and better defense
                      the only edge margarito has over baldomir is body punching? and are we supposed to take you seriously or just laugh?

Comment

Working...
                      X