No announcement yet.

How Skilled Was Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Skilled Was Mike Tyson?

My favorite boxer outside of the ring, whom I rarely talk about. What do you think of Kid Dynamite's skillset?
    Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 04-23-2012, 01:59 PM.

Under-rated is a good word.

Amazing defence, picked his shots well. Beautiful combos, supreme power. Excellent in many, many attributes.

As for weaknesses, he didn't fight to well off the back foot, didn't do much inside and sometimes got wild when finishing guys.

Comment

Very skilled in his prime.

Comment

Skilled

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post

Amazing defence, picked his shots well. Beautiful combos, supreme power. Excellent in many, many attributes.

As for weaknesses, he didn't fight to well off the back foot, didn't do much inside and sometimes got wild when finishing guys.
          This.

Tyson was mostly known for his power to the casual fan..but Tyson's "defense" was great and his foot speed combined with his head movement and underrated hand speed were downright amazing. I loved watching Tyson close the distance almost more than the knockouts. Just his movement, his style it was great.

Comment

Tyson definitely had skills before he stopped using them. His defense is overrated because it only lasted for 4 rounds tops. But more often than not 4 rounds was enough time to get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post

sucks to your assmar

as stated, great head movement
              great combinations.

in his prime he was a very high level boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                Tyson definitely had skills before he stopped using them. His defense is overrated because it only lasted for 4 rounds tops. But more often than not 4 rounds was enough time to get the job done.
                Thats simply not true in his younger days.. For example, if you look at the Mitch Green fight he was bobbing and weaving effectively for 10 rounds.. As far as pure skills in his prime I think he may be second only to Ali.. MAY BE.. It's debatable..

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                  Thats simply not true in his younger days.. For example, if you look at the Mitch Green fight he was bobbing and weaving effectively for 10 rounds.. As far as pure skills in his prime I think he may be second only to Ali.. MAY BE.. It's debatable..
                  Mitch Green really wasn't a very good heavyweight. So I'm less impressed. As for his skills being second to only Ali, that's ridiculous. Unless you think his "pure skills" compare with Tunney, Johnson, Louis, Charles, etc. It sure makes your skills look better when you can hit like a motherf-cker.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    4 or 5 rounds is enough to avoid taking serious punishment, by that point there's a lot less power in both fighter's punches. tyson used to always throw combinations, that's the big difference between young and old. young tython kept up constant pressure, old tython would throw one big punch and then wait, or maybe bite an ear

Comment

Working...
                    X