Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Golovkin retire as an all time great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Golovkin retire as an all time great?

If Golovkin beats Canelo will he be an all time great? If he loses to Canelo will he be one?

No he will not be an ATG win or lose but he will be a sure HOF'er .

Comment

It depends on your own personal criteria of all-time great. Mine is strict. Now, let's say he gets passed Canelo as the odds makers think he will, he'll have a divisional record of 21 defenses and I think would be favored to gobble up Charlo and probably beat the winners of Jacobs-Dereyvchenko & Andrade-Saunders he'd have the potential to even hold most successful defenses across any weight class I think that would qualify him but doesn't mean he's a surefire ATG.

IMO he'll lose by GBP decision to Canelo and then it's an uphill battle because the opposition isn't there and he's already peaked so I'll say no but he'll be in the IBHOF for certain.

My personal references going off modern era just using a dozen retired names.

ATG's - Jones, Marquez, Hopkins, Mayweather

Great fighters - Toney, Morales, Barrera, Calzaghe

Not quite great but very, very, very good - De La Hoya, Mosley, Cotto, Wladimir Klit

There's probably around 75-80 fighters I'd consider all-time greats in the entire HISTORY of the sport.

Comment

Hes already an ATG in my eyes, so if he retired tomorrow yes.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
          It depends on your own personal criteria of all-time great. Mine is strict. Now, let's say he gets passed Canelo as the odds makers think he will, he'll have a divisional record of 21 defenses and I think would be favored to gobble up Charlo and probably beat the winners of Jacobs-Dereyvchenko & Andrade-Saunders he'd have the potential to even hold most successful defenses across any weight class I think that would qualify him but doesn't mean he's a surefire ATG.

IMO he'll lose by GBP decision to Canelo and then it's an uphill battle because the opposition isn't there and he's already peaked so I'll say no but he'll be in the IBHOF for certain.

My personal references going off modern era just using a dozen retired names.

ATG's - Jones, Marquez, Hopkins, Mayweather

Great fighters - Toney, Morales, Barrera, Calzaghe

Not quite great but very, very, very good - De La Hoya, Mosley, Cotto, Wladimir Klit

There's probably around 75-80 fighters I'd consider all-time greats in the entire HISTORY of the sport.
          Yea, your definition of ATG is among the strictest I've seen.

I consider Toney, ODLH, Wlad, Barrera, Morales all ATG.

Comment

I already consider him one of the all time greats at middleweight, but let's say he hypothetically beats Canelo, then Saunders, then Jacobs to unify all the belts.

Then he's got an argument for top 5 ever.

Comment

If he beats Canelo yes.

Comment

No and no..

Comment

Consummate professional, undefeated, highest knockout percentage in MW history. Apart from that yes

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                    Yea, your definition of ATG is among the strictest I've seen.

I consider Toney, ODLH, Wlad, Barrera, Morales all ATG.
                    why De La Hoya? he lost to almost every real top fighter he fought. Probably got beat by sturm too.

Comment

Working...
                    X