Comments Thread For: Keith Thurman Overcomes Scare, Decisions Josesito Lopez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re

Good tactical brawl

But no...Thurman was hurt and on his bike in the 7th, but it was nowhere near to the point that the ref should have stopped it.
    Last edited by SHO_RULEZ; 01-27-2019, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offic.Scorecard View Post
      Keith did a good job of sticking on the move in the first half, landed great counters,very good movement but has no defense beside his feet and ate bunch of overhand rights and started running too much, he's exciting but fragile. And Thurman is also telegraphing a lot of his shots. His quickness and reflexes were looking good, but looks like he gets easily hurt and than starts running. He's excellent in some departments and awful in others. I guess that he is who he is and he isn't going to change, althought I've seen some improvements from him.

You gotta give the guy a fughin break
      I agree with your assessment of the fight but his timing and reflexes are off because he has not fought in almost two years
      Yeah he did eat too many overhand rights but also he did not work the body the way I expected him to do
      Had he worked that body in the first half of the fight , then we would not have seen Lopez with that kind of energy
      Also , I’m thinking that he was timid to 5hrow that right hand
      Anybody who’s played sports knows what it is to be scared of an injury , it makes you second guess and that’s not good , makes you vulnerable and very readable

Comment

• I'm not gonna hold that adversity against Thurman. This was his first time back after nearly two years. For as good as he looked, there's at least a bit of ring rust that affected his game. Props to Josesito as well because he came to fight and I don't want to take anything away from him. We just have to be realistic when we consider Thurman's inactivity. But hey, it was a good fight and a good win for Thurman.

Comment

• Originally posted by MulaKO View Post
          You gotta give the guy a fughin break
          I agree with your assessment of the fight but his timing and reflexes are off because he has not fought in almost two years
          Yeah he did eat too many overhand rights but also he did not work the body the way I expected him to do
          Had he worked that body in the first half of the fight , then we would not have seen Lopez with that kind of energy
          Also , I’m thinking that he was timid to 5hrow that right hand
          Anybody who’s played sports knows what it is to be scared of an injury , it makes you second guess and that’s not good , makes you vulnerable and very readable
          The thing is I thought that his timing and reflexes were good in this fight and I also think he did a nice job going to the body. But his defense, or the lack of it existed even before this fight, at least I saw it a long time ago.

Comment

The thing is I thought that his timing and reflexes were good in this fight and I also think he did a nice job going to the body. But his defense, or the lack of it existed even before this fight, at least I saw it a long time ago.

Nah , I gotta disagree with you , I didn’t think he went to the body like should of
            And once Josesito got going you can tell his balance and of course his reflexes were not their
            I found he wasn’t sitting on his punches cause off balance
            But again a two year layoff will do that to you
            Plus that fughin hand , was he scared of throwing it ?

Comment

Nah , I gotta disagree with you , I didn’t think he went to the body like should of
              And once Josesito got going you can tell his balance and of course his reflexes were not their
              I found he wasn’t sitting on his punches cause off balance
              But again a two year layoff will do that to you
              Plus that fughin hand , was he scared of throwing it ?
              I don't know man, you are probably right that right hand is an issue for him, but I have to agree to disagree with you on his ring rust, because despite his lay off, I didn't really see it. I was also satisfied with his body work. As I said, I didn't see the ring rust, but his fragility, and that is something that we already saw in Colazo fight. I may be wrong, but it looks to me that he's not able to handle a lot of punishment and that it's just the way he's been forever.

Comment

I don't know man, you are probably right that right hand is an issue for him, but I have to agree to disagree with you on his ring rust, because despite his lay off, I didn't really see it. I was also satisfied with his body work. As I said, I didn't see the ring rust, but his fragility, and that is something that we already saw in Colazo fight. I may be wrong, but it looks to me that he's not able to handle a lot of punishment and that it's just the way he's been forever.
                I thought that Thurman around the fifth round untill the eighth looked a little gassed out
                He did look good the first four rounds with his stick and move ( got a knockdown in the second )
                In my eyes he seemed to have slowed down considerably thus absorbing that onslaught in the seventh
                I can only attribute this slow down to ring rust , stamina whichever way you wanna put it
                Like I said earlier , around the middle of the eighth round and on , I thought he dominated Lopez
                I think we need to take into account the beating he got and human nature that forced him to realize that he needed to wake up
                I personally gave the sixth round and the seventh to Lopez

Comment

I thought that Thurman around the fifth round untill the eighth looked a little gassed out
                  He did look good the first four rounds with his stick and move ( got a knockdown in the second )
                  In my eyes he seemed to have slowed down considerably thus absorbing that onslaught in the seventh
                  I can only attribute this slow down to ring rust , stamina whichever way you wanna put it
                  Like I said earlier , around the middle of the eighth round and on , I thought he dominated Lopez
                  I think we need to take into account the beating he got and human nature that forced him to realize that he needed to wake up
                  I personally gave the sixth round and the seventh to Lopez
                  It looks like our differences come from you thinking he slowed down due to ring rust, while I think it's because he simply got hurt. I guess his future fights are going to tell us what was it. Anyways I'm glad to see him back, I like Keith and he's pretty good, but his limitations have been visible to me for a long time so I'm also trying to figure out if I've been right or wrong about them.

Comment

It looks like our differences come from you thinking he slowed down due to ring rust, while I think it's because he simply got hurt. I guess his future fights are going to tell us what was it. Anyways I'm glad to see him back, I like Keith and he's pretty good, but his limitations have been visible to me for a long time so I'm also trying to figure out if I've been right or wrong about them.
                    I hear you , just find too many people shooting him down after a single fight
                    Like I said two years is a long time , especially in hand to hand combat
                    Only time will tell
                    Now , let me get your opinion on something
                    I’m not a big fan of Dan Birmingham , his advice on Saturday between rounds was very questionable
                    I think Thurman can benefit by switching trainer
                    What’s your take

Comment

• Re

I dont know if Thurman took Lopez's tough talk seriously ? But Thurman came to throw down, and it was action packed fight.

It was tactical, but not in a boring way, like a Hopkins or Harrison fight. Or even Pac/Broner? It was tactical, but at a blistering pace.

The guys would feint, showing angles for a couple seconds. That was enough for one of them, or both at the same time, to launch a barrage of vicious punches .

Didnt slow up for the entire 12 rounds, save for the 7th, when Thurman had to get on his bike, to shake off a good shot from Lopez.

Thurman kinda has a nickname among the boxing circles in Cali/Mexico of "Run-Time" ". That 7th round didnt help matters, when it comes to that

Comment

Working...
                      X