No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a more dominant performance as a HUGE underdog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has there ever been a more dominant performance as a HUGE underdog

than Bernard Hopkins vs Tarver? No one gave B-Hop even the slightest chance.

He was old coming off back to back losses and moving up 2 weight classes with no tune up against the undisputed #1 light heavyweight in the world. Bernard won every minute of every round the fight could not have been less competitive.

Hopkins v Pavlik, while on the same subject

Comment

Hopkins was a pretty big underdog against Tito as well i think.

Comment

also, i dont know what the odds were for hop/tarver (gambling ish is blocked at work)

but manny vs oscar was i think 4:1 or something and it was an 8 round whitewash

just sticking with very recent memory obviously

Comment

i know tito was coming off a long lay off when he fought Winky but that was as lopsided as it gets too

Comment

Forget betting odds I don't think any real boxing fan considered Pacquiao and Winky underdogs in those fights. Hopkins and Tito were at worst an even fight to most boxing fans.

I also consider Hopkins to have been a bigger underdog against Tarver than against Pavlik.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              Forget betting odds I don't think any real boxing fan considered Pacquiao and Winky underdogs in those fights. Hopkins and Tito were at worst an even fight to most boxing fans.

I also consider Hopkins to have been a bigger underdog against Tarver than against Pavlik.
              MOST boxing fans gave pac little chance in that fight, as it was seen as a cash grab by dlh against a smaller fighter who had never fought above 135. and the reason so many people wanted to boycott the ppv.

duran was a big underdog to davey moore.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post

oscar was expected to detonate pacquiao with the hook. manny was a huge dog. huge. probaly 4-7 to one.

he wasn't really even manny pacquiao yet
                he was a beastly FW moving up who looked a little off against david diazo

there was honestly talk that his hard career and style was catching up to him and that he may be done, facing bigger men with a style unfit for it with power that we couldn't say for certain would carry (and wasn't expected to in anywhere near the capacity it has, even though manny is an ATG puncher at FW)

tito was a 3 to 1 fav against hopkins and was expected by most to win
                hopkins run was made legitimate largely from his trinidad victory
                he wasn't bernard hopkins yet

the fight fitting your bill is tyson getting dominated by buster douglas
                42 - 1 dog in las vegas (a place that knows something about handicapping fights)

that's absolutely unheard of

Comment

Hopkins was only a 3-1 underdog against Trinidad. When Cassius Clay dominated Sonny Liston he was a 7-1 underdog.

Comment

Something was off with tarver that night, I think he was coming off an injury or sickness. A 100% tarver would beat bhop. Hell JT whooped his ass so easily two times in a row.

Comment

Working...
                    X