No announcement yet.

Where Canelo went wrong IMO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Canelo went wrong IMO

In the early rounds I didn't expect Canelo to be that sharp and I doubt Canelo himself expected that, he seemed to have admired his work a little too much and was probably foolish enough to think the fight was gonna continue to head that direction. Canelo's objective should have been to bring Golovkin down to his level in terms of conditioning, Golovkin was tentative, maybe the moment got to him in the early rounds, maybe Canelo's sharpness, whatever the case may be Golovkin was there for the taking, he needed to do some quality work to the body. That lack of urgency created enough room for Golovkin to pick up the pace a bit whilst Canelo slowed a tad bit and it was decided.

Also, a lot of that early posing and wanting to show the crowd that he can more than hang with Golovkin as oppose to an urgent body attack, well that tells me Canelo bought into a lot of Golovkin's mysticism going in. For as much as he pretended he didn't, he did.
    Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 09-17-2017, 03:12 PM.

GGGwas nervous for the first 3 rounds. Had he opened up a lot sooner there definitely but would have been a decisive winner.

GGG rarely hit Canelo body. Surprised me. Like someone else mentioned, had he invested on the body early, he would have probably killed him in the later rounds. He was too cautious and didn't want to get countered bad.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathWish View Post
      GGGwas nervous for the first 3 rounds. Had he opened up a lot sooner there definitely but would have been a decisive winner.

GGG absolutely ignored Canelo body. Surprised me. Like someone else mentioned, had he invested on the body early, he would have probably killed him in the later rounds. He was too cautious and didn't want to get countered bad.
      Yep but only one of them looked comfortable in the early rounds, where as the other looked out of it to be completely honest, Canelo really dropped the ball here.

Comment

Canelo didnt listen to his corner. Reynoso kept telling him to stay in the middle but he kept retreating to the ropes.

Comment

I agree he should have worked the body a lot more.

Clearly at range he had the advantage like I expected. The much faster and better counter puncher of thw two he should took advtange of the body work.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            I agree he should have worked the body a lot more.

Clearly at range he had the advantage like I expected. The much faster and better counter puncher of thw two he should took advtange of the body work.
            What did you think of the fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
              What did you think of the fight?
              Thought it was very close I had Canelo 7-5 live I haven't re scored it yet.

Canelo landing the sharper cleaner eye catching shots but he gave rounds away laying on the ropes allowing himself to be outworked.

I don't mind the draw.

What about you?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Thought it was very close I had Canelo 7-5 live I haven't re scored it yet.

Canelo landing the sharper cleaner eye catching shots but he gave rounds away laying on the ropes allowing himself to be outworked.

I don't mind the draw.

What about you?
                I haven't watched again either. I think 7-5 is a fair score to Golovkin.

Everyone I was with thought Golovkin won and 3 of these guys were rooting for Canelo.

118-110. God damn

Comment

rusty dan with the typical hate, what an idiot! ban him from this site!

On to the analysis, Canelo was certainly the more effective fighter for almost 3 rounds but it wasn't his over confidence, posing bla bla bla that lost him the fight, i twas the fact that he did not and can not punch and move on a consistent basis. All these guys being labeled as "boxers" try the whole Ali and Leonard stick, to punch and move at the same time but they can't. Canelo's balance does not allow him to keep moving and punching. Too often must he stop, set his feet, throw 3 punch combo and move again.

Robot.

GGG punched him and eventually beat him up between his moments of activity. As simple as that.

Comment

Very good observation and I felt the same watching it live, I felt he let GGG into the fight in round 4 by showing machismo on the ropes.

GGG would have got himself into the fight at some point but if Canelo had bagged 1 or 2 more rounds early he would have probably got the decision.

I would love to see a rematch. Will GGG try to start faster, will Canelo make adjustments, I think they can both fight better so it will be really interesting and for me hasn't lost much if any interest.

Comment

Working...
                    X