Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should boxers or fighters in general lift weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There should be no question. TRAINING with resistance is a good thing, IF you are the type of boxer that will take advantage of it. Bodyweight training is resistance training if you need to think of it this way. Generally lifting like a power lifter isn't good for boxing then again that's not training, is it? So ... the TYPE of resistance and how you go about the whole thing is the key. Proper type, reps, effort and all that go into coming up with a proper TRAINING approach to resistance.

If you train, it's good. If you just lift for the sake of lifting, it's not necessarily training.

Comment

Depends on what you mean by "lifting weights". If you mean heavy, compound lifting (squats, deadlifts, bench press), then that is of no use to boxers.
      My experience of combining this with boxing is that-

1.) It takes up time and energy that can be better spend on boxing related exercise/activities.

2.) Heavy lifting causes fatigue which carries on over into the next day, meaning you won't be able to train as hard for boxing.

Calisthenics and plyometric training are far more beneficial to fighters than heavy compound exercises. You want to be training more for muscular endurance and explosiveness.

Comment

Why Lifting Weights Won’t Increase Punching Power?

The actual turning point came after i started losing sparring fits against faster, skinnier men. They carried the slender build but hit a lot harder than me personally! I kept considering their technique had been better or which maybe I hadn’t already been boxing long sufficient. I finally got tired of losing and chose to obey my trainer’s each and every word. I stopped weightlifting among other points and within days, I was pounding faster and tougher. What shocked me was which i wasn’t only pounding harder, my boxing ability had also enhanced. Looking back, I will see clearly that weight lifting really held me personally back. It makes lots of sense when you realize the punching technique.
        Weightlifting is a PRESSING MOTION.
        You exert just as much force as feasible, as consistently as you possibly can, to lift the actual heaviest weight you are able to. During a pressing motion, the object is actually moved by a person first establishing get in touch with and exerting the force on the relatively extended time period.
        The natural progression of weightlifting is to raise heavier. Of program, everyone tries in order to lift fast however once they’re in a position to lift something, the next thing is to lift WEIGHTIER. Speed is not really the focus, power is. Unfortunately, many newbie fighters falsely believe punching to become the same pressing motion. These beginners think the aim of punching is in order to push their fist with just as much force as feasible to penetrate their own opponent as hard as you possibly can.
        Examples of sports activities with PUSHING motions (all of those also have nipping motions):
        sprinting
        gymnastics
        soccer
        wrestling
        weightlifting.

Comment

I just read a story how trainer Rudy Hernandez forbids any of his fighters to do weight training.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            I just read a story how trainer Rudy Hernandez forbids any of his fighters to do weight training.
            It warms my heart any time I see a pro trainer not using weights.

Don't have anything against weightlifting but I just think it isn't necessary for boxers and they can succeed without it.

Comment

clean and jerks.. and make sure you pop your calf back, the same one that is your rear foot in your stance. get a weight on there where you can do 10 reps or so and keep it that way as you progress through 8-9 sets combined of the snatch, the clean and jerk, and if you want, do the press up as well. I do something like 3-3-3 in terms of sets and techniques. gayle hatch showed me this as a boy.

t bar row press ups with the rear calf being the one you flex to complete the rep.

deadlifts
              standing leg deadlifts

look into jeff fenechs arm and shoulder conditioning videos. practice them,

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                Can you post the link?

Comment

Slow weighted eccentric movements and explosive concentric could help imo

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                    Can you post the link?
                    Someone tweeted it out as his fighters were training in the gym

Comment

Working...
                    X