Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you belive Jack Johnson is overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    Ha ha, the Hart fight! I seem to remember one ringside journalist saying something like 'in the excitement of the occasion the referee pointed at the wrong man'. Hard to believe Johnson would have been outpointed by Hart, that said I haven't seen the fight so I reserve judgement and I guess he did last the 20 round (if memory serves) distance which is a feat in itself.

As for a peak Jim Jeffries beating Jack Johnson, I doubt it. Jeffries in retirement did say that he didn't think he could either, true gent, very honest. That said its arguable as to whether Johnson was peak around the time of the Hart fight so hell, who knows?
    Jack Johnson was quite light in those days compared to the 208 lb version of himself who fought Jeffries.

Back when he fought Choynski, he was no more than a super middleweight (168 lbs) and against Hart I'd estimate that he weighed around 180 lbs (no official weights were given) as he did in most of his bouts at that time.

The 220 lb Jeffries may have very well been too strong for Jack Johnson back then.

Of course you can't underestimate Johnson's "science", since he was able to outbox the much bigger and stronger Sam McVea but McVea lacked the experience of Jeffries. Johnson did rely a lot on being able to control his opponents in the clinches, Jeffries likely wouldn't have allowed that.

Comment

Maybe Johnson would have been too underdeveloped then, I wouldn't have bet against even a 180lbs Johnson though. I always favoured his peak to be 1908-1910, I doubt a peak Jeffries would cope with this Johnson although I think he would make the distance.

Comment

Johnson over rated? Are you kidding?

A big heavyweight with all the skills,quick reflexes,and the greatest defense in boxing history.Power in both hands.

He is under rated if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
          Poster Poet682006 also has him number #3 in his Heavyweight ATG List.
          so do i. given what ge accomplished especially when he did it, you'd have to at least have him in the top five.

Comment

One of the baddest dudes ever, toyed with great fighters. Not overrated.

Comment

Working...
            X