Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do many (not all) people consider Earnie Shavers the hardest puncher of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is largely because Ali and Holmes both said Shavers hit them harder than anyone else.

Ali of course swapped leather with other noted punchers Liston and Foreman. Holmes certainly tasted the best of Tyson.

There are those who decline to rate Shavers with the very best because he was never a world champion, also because many KO victims were not world class. He also had some disappointing losses and this does influence people's opinion on whether to rate him, despite the fact that punch power is of little relevance to a loss.

He was never terribly quick, so it could be said that he sometimes failed to finish off hurt opponents or wasn't a great finisher......this was very much in evidence in the second Holmes fight or the Ali fight.

But I don't doubt that in terms of sheer, raw force he was probably one of if not the best punchers of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Personally the hardest puncher I ever felt is Ernie Shavers, the second would be Mike Tyson, the third would be a prelim fighter named Ken Schmidt.
      All of these men fought professionally and were all under 215lbs when I worked hand pads for them.
      Ernie was heavy and hard, he hurt! Tyson used speed and explosiveness and Schmidt had a hard punch also with a huge fist that was very even across.

As far as power punching with speed and accuracy in both hands Sugar Ray Robinson was the best p4p.
      Ray.
      Most people on here will be puzzled or simply overlook the comment about Schmidt's fist being very even across. Please explain to the people. Making a proper boxing fist is not easy or natural.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
        Shavers has a statue made in his image.

Made from bronze.

He deserves a Gold one, because he is number 1 in punching power in human history.

He deserved a medal too.

When you look at guys that throw the shot put, the discuss etc what he can do is just as valid as the gold medal winner in those events.

The guy is the most under appreciated super athlete, in history.
        Statue? So what? He is lucky to have a paper mache statue. What do you want, a statue of him next to Lincoln? History goes back a little farther than the Marquis of Queensbury, son. There is no definitve evidence that he was even the hardest puncher of his era. One thing for sure, he was not a great fighter or a great athlete, he simply had a hard punch, and was never able to beat the best. He was not a super athlete.

Sure, give your uncle a medal if you want. Make sure it says, hard puncher who could never beat the best.
        Last edited by The Old LefHook; 04-06-2015, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          Statue? So what? He is lucky to have a paper mache statue. What do you want, a statue of him next to Lincoln? History goes back a little farther than the Marquis of Queensbury, son. There is no definitve evidence that he was even the hardest puncher of his era. One thing for sure, he was not a great fighter or a great athlete, he simply had a hard punch, and was never able to beat the best. He was not a super athlete.

Sure, give your uncle a medal if you want. Make sure it says, hard puncher who could never beat the best.
          Last edited by AlexKid; 04-07-2015, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Shavers never knocked out anyone of note other than Norton, and Norton was scared. i have watched that fight many times and fail to see were the KO blow landed.
            moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Shavers competition wasnt that great ,he lost almost every quality fight his in,i think despite what anyone says you have to look at his resume,i dont see him being the hardest puncher ever.
              moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                Shavers competition wasnt that great ,he lost almost every quality fight his in,i think despite what anyone says you have to look at his resume,i dont see him being the hardest puncher ever.
                devastating power alone doesn't make you an automatic top fighter. shavers had too many other flaws . it also didn't help he fought in a tough era. I think his power was right up there at the very top with foremans. Ive watched tapes of many of his fights and it was very rare for a fighter to still be standing after a flush shot from shavers. his contact to damage ratio was huge

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                  Shavers never knocked out anyone of note other than Norton, and Norton was scared. i have watched that fight many times and fail to see were the KO blow landed.
                  are you serious? Norton took flush bombs in that fight. that was a viscous clean knockout. Norton did look in fear but those shots landed dude

Comment

Hardest puncher? Most probably and the reason he is considered so is because of testimony from the likes of Ali and Holmes. But he was not as effective a puncher as Liston or Foreman or Tyson simply because his technique, speed and skill level was neevr as high as those guys.

Comment

Shavers was a beast. I watched his fight with Ali the other night and he made it very close. Ali had a great chin.

Comment

Working...
                      X