Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Think It's Time to Drop the P4P Mythical Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see why people get so worked up about it. All it's saying is, "the best boxer today" while not simply going by the bigger is better mentality. Those that don't like it tend to not like the boxers who occupy the #1 spots.

It's not just a boxing thing. People have always enjoyed talking about the best people or things in various classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      I don't see why people get so worked up about it. All it's saying is, "the best boxer today" while not simply going by the bigger is better mentality. Those that don't like it tend to not like the boxers who occupy the #1 spots.

It's not just a boxing thing. People have always enjoyed talking about the best people or things in various classes.
      True enough. There's not actually a belt for it, which I think is a good thing. I don't know. Just seems silly to me.

Comment

P4p makes no sense if you think about it like one guy said on top there is hundreds of boxers in the sport who would of beaten Gonzalez yet a lot of people had him #1 as if he was the absolute best the sport had to offer yet he usually fought on a undercard.

Then Floyd was considered p4p #1 cause he was the top money maker, I don't remember anyone having him on that list in his prime.

Also Some people put ggg on top that list just solely on his ko streak now he's not number 1 on it anymore cause it ended. So It just contradicts itself all over the place i think it's just a list for people's favorite fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
          P4p makes no sense if you think about it like one guy said on top there is hundreds of boxers in the sport who would of beaten Gonzalez yet a lot of people had him #1 as if he was the absolute best the sport had to offer yet he usually fought on a undercard.

Then Floyd was considered p4p #1 cause he was the top money maker, I don't remember anyone having him on that list in his prime.

Also Some people put ggg on top that list just solely on his ko streak now he's not number 1 on it anymore cause it ended. So It just contradicts itself all over the place i think it's just a list for people's favorite fighters.
          Pound for Pound most popular. Haha. Sounds about right. It's kind of like the Hall of Fame, although the Hall of Fame actually says what it is. It's not the Hall of Best.

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER77777 View Post
            That's irrelevant. The best high school football team doesnt play against NFL teams. Its all about being the best in the division one is in.
            But nobody is wasting their time debating who is the best football team, age for age.

Some clumsy idiot, 25th ranked, 300 lb. HW would probably beat Manny or Floyd. That doesnt mean he's a better Boxer than them. Its a different division, apples to oranges.
            Yes, it does mean the 300 lb HW is a better boxer. If they competed at boxing, the HW would win. Therefore he's better. Just as the best men's tennis player is the better tennis player than the best women's tennis player. The person who would win is better. This is common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
              Román never was the P4P, never.

Without Floyd or Manny, that title was vacated and still vacated actually.

There is a group of fighters that are fighting to be the P4P but nothing is clear actually.

And please, use the brain, Gonzalez never was the number one.
              I kind of agree with this ....

And Cmon, its cool people get hyped about it because having a clear p4p guy means we have someone "special" in boxing again, sometimes it takes a while but eventually the ray robinsons, Alis, durans , leonards , chavezes, whitakers, roy jones, tysons, pacquiaos, floyds ( just to name a few ) emerge witnessing a prime p4p fighter could be a thing of beauty for a true boxing fan.

People get carried away because they are imature haha
              Some like Pacman some like Floyd. ( Ali would GOAT here according to most fans ... counting casuals haha )
              Some like LeBron, some like Curry. ( Jordan would be like GOAT in here ).
              Some like C.ronaldo some like messi.
              etc etc...

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                True enough. There's not actually a belt for it, which I think is a good thing. I don't know. Just seems silly to me.
                Yea a belt would be silly. I think that even formal recognition from publication is unnecessary because it's really about opinion, speculation, etc. Belts are formal. P4P is for the fans to debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  Yea a belt would be silly. I think that even formal recognition from publication is unnecessary because it's really about opinion, speculation, etc. Belts are formal. P4P is for the fans to debate.
                  Yes, sir. I equate them to mythical match-ups. Not provable, but people want to speculate. It's human nature.

Comment

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/inside/fea...a-history.html

^^ this is a great read on the history of the mythical pound for pound label.

I have no issue with it because it genuinely motivates boxers to fight the best, because the #1 spot can only be earned on the strength of resume.

skills and talents alone don't cut it. you're only as great as your opponent.

the #1 spot imo is still vacant since Floyd's retirement.

Comment

It means a lot to the fighters and it generates a lot of buzz for the sport.

Roman Gonzalez would never be fighting on HBO and making that kind of money without being p4p. Those divisions have been totally ignored historically.

With ppv buys flopping and budgets being cut across the board, this is the worst possible time to scrap boxings best marketing tool.

Comment

Working...
                      X