No announcement yet.

Am i Telegraphinh my punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i Telegraphinh my punches?

I'm just curious about how I begin to throw my punches and my head position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWigJa_z2M

My allergies are bother me so i'm sniffeling and out of breath from asthma, and don't mind my open hands or short punches. I was rushing this video.

Edit:

I added two more videos of me shadowboxing hopefully this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-xkcBiJHcs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1jzlXSfc0
    Last edited by Be_kind_rewind; 05-14-2011, 10:23 PM.

you're not throwing punches, so no

Comment

Do another video mate, and post it for another look.

alright,
      well you ain't telegraphing, but then it would make no sense to anyway if there's zero power in what you're doing so it would serve no purpose.
      how does rushing affect whether or not the hand is open or the punches extended?- it doesn't take any longer, well maybe a few milliseconds for the extra length of the punch, but you get my point?- you just weren't punching properly it had nothing to do with rushing the video.

there's no point analysing a video like that one because it bears no relation to the actual punches you would throw at pads, a bag, an opponent.
      throwing light shots like that will take away the telegraphing like cutting off your leg will stop a pain in your foot. does the trick but not very productive and kinda defeats the point.

just throw your stuff as realistically as you can and then we can identify your mistakes and correct them. if you do telegraph when you throw your proper shots on the new video we'll be able to see it and see why it is happening.

Comment

Try using proper technique first and stop trying to look like Roy Jones jr :P

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
          alright,
          well you ain't telegraphing, but then it would make no sense to anyway if there's zero power in what you're doing so it would serve no purpose.
          how does rushing affect whether or not the hand is open or the punches extended?- it doesn't take any longer, well maybe a few milliseconds for the extra length of the punch, but you get my point?- you just weren't punching properly it had nothing to do with rushing the video.

there's no point analysing a video like that one because it bears no relation to the actual punches you would throw at pads, a bag, an opponent.
          throwing light shots like that will take away the telegraphing like cutting off your leg will stop a pain in your foot. does the trick but not very productive and kinda defeats the point.

just throw your stuff as realistically as you can and then we can identify your mistakes and correct them. if you do telegraph when you throw your proper shots on the new video we'll be able to see it and see why it is happening.
          Yeah i apoligize for the laziness, I'll probably repost another video tonight. But when I'm doing flurries I don't fully extend my punches, is that bad? WHen i'm at my boxing gym it's hard to concentrate on all my movements, and it's really hard to tell if my left hand showing any sign of an incoming punch, but what about the way hold my head is that bad?? That is how it is all the time.

[edit] I just rewatched the video, and wow my punches where pretty much bull****. I was so hype at how my body shot looked at the end, i honestly ain't even care {
          Last edited by Be_kind_rewind; 05-14-2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

"InThisCornerTV.com talks with Yuriorkis Gamboa"
            search that on youtube (won't let me post the link)

have a look at what he's doing from 2:47 onwards that's what you're after. you don't necessarily want to put too much in them shots and risk hyperextending (because there's no impact the fist travels a little further than is comfortable if thrown too hard), but what you were practising in your video were sorta half punches, bit like doing loads of walking as practice for a marathon- what your body is getting used to with that is throwing those half punches with no power and that won't really help you when you are actually hitting stuff for real. do a video something along the lines of this gamboa one, concentrating on proper punches but nice an relaxed, whatever punches you want, post it up and let's see how it is.

Comment

New videos added

frosty i just got that last post, but i'm going to try that. Shadowboxing is one of those things I kinda skimp out on at the gym. either that or I shadowbox with weights, Shadowboxing is so empty to me, i prefer heavy bag work or sparring.

The way that guy throws his punches is so awkward
              Last edited by Be_kind_rewind; 05-14-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Be_kind_rewind View Post
                New videos added

frosty i just got that last post, but i'm going to try that. Shadowboxing is one of those things I kinda skimp out on at the gym. either that or I shadowbox with weights, Shadowboxing is so empty to me, i prefer heavy bag work or sparring.

The way that guy throws his punches is so awkward
                yeah i get where you're coming from but shadowboxing is at least as important. it's your opportunity to work on getting the pure techniques (footwork, punches, defences etc.) right without having to worry about getting hit or anything else. therefore you can concentrate on getting it all just right THEN you have a chance to use it when you work on the bag or spar.
                shadowboxing with weights isn't a great thing to do because it will make you throw short punches, might weigh your hands down a bit so they start dropping out of the guard, all of which will become habit (not good for sparring!). other conditioning work is better for punch strength and most of the power comes from the legs anyway.

can be a bit boring to be fair- so make it more interesting by going through EVERYTHING you know, experiment with new combinations and movement etc. it is important to imagine an opponent in front of you too, imagine what he would be doing, where the gaps might be, what counters you or he could throw- becomes pretty interesting if you do all that. i bet you won't work on half of that stuff when you're just sparring so that limits you- shadowboxing is great for developing and perfecting everything for use on the bag/pads, sparring, fighting.

yeah, if we could all do what gamboa does would be nice eh...?!

Comment

that makes a lot of sense I'm gonna remember that next time I start shadowboxing.

Still need someone to check the videos i posted.

Comment

bro, a few pointers:

1: close your hands
                    2: throw proper defined punches
                    3: extend your arms while straight-punching
                    4: look ahead of you, not at the ground

but thanks for posting, good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X