No announcement yet.

Michael Moorer vs Max Baer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack Flak View Post
    If I was a betting man I'm sure I would put my money on Baer by KO. All it would take Is just one mistake by Moorer.
    Yes and the longer the fight goes on, the more Max Baer has a chance.

Comment

find me one decent left handed sparring partner in 1935, please.

lots of you guys sound way out of touch, frankly. not a lot of descriptions of how you think the fight would go and why you think your pickwould win. jsut "oh if our maxie hit him he'd be dead, he would."

Comment

No one knows including YOU how many southpaw hwt sparring partners one could find in those days. Moorer was a ****ty hwt and more than likely the BEST Max Baer well known as one of boxings most deadly right hand punchers would land the one solid blow he needs to win.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
          No one knows including YOU how many southpaw hwt sparring partners one could find in those days. Moorer was a ****ty hwt and more than likely the BEST Max Baer well known as one of boxings most deadly right hand punchers would land the one solid blow he needs to win.

do you know who the first ever southpaw HW champion was?

in the entire history of the division, mind you, it was michael moorer!

but yeah, not going to be anything new for max baer

where as i assure you, a primitive, straigh tup and down and extremely wide right handed puncher who is tall is something moorer has seen a hell of a lot more! those guys are a dime a dozen. of course he "could" stop him. it's HW FFS! but he wouldn,t because he'd be getting his ass kicked by a much faster and not much smaller lefty who would be hitting him with shots he'd never have seen in the gym.

some of the "moves" he makes are downright hysterical, and you see why when he fought a truly modern fighter with a precise attack, joe louis, he was destroyed.

some of you guys don't know what you're looking at, and that's perfectly fine. just watch how wide baer gets when he leads with power punches. he literally throws his right hand in a sweep from his pants pocket. it's amateurish and something you're trained not to do in your first weeks in teh gymnasium. don't tell me it's effective, because significant'y smaller man is landing counters with comical ease.

now wtach a technician out of kronk gym in detroit . looks different, no? a little primitive, perhaps?

Comment

I’ve been following boxing since 1970. I have watched in detail every filmed hwt championship bout since Corbett vs Fitzsimmons. I know boxing. Moorer was a **** hwt. Glass chin, lazy and impossible to motivate. The best Baer ices him. Baer hit like a hammer and when focused which was rare he was a match for any man.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
              An extremely interesting matchup and an in depth op that gives food for thought.
              Batts you really think? I don't know...I am a big fan of both guys but I doubt Max could do much to Moorer. Moorer was very technically sound, certainly the guy who fought Evander and won me a lot of money would toy with Baer.

Max always have a punchers chance of course, just like with Foreman, but lets remember that Moorer was beating George until that happened and it does happen in the heavyweight division.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                I’ve been following boxing since 1970. I have watched in detail every filmed hwt championship bout since Corbett vs Fitzsimmons. I know boxing. Moorer was a **** hwt. Glass chin, lazy and impossible to motivate. The best Baer ices him. Baer hit like a hammer and when focused which was rare he was a match for any man.
                Thats the problem, Max was seldom focused. Moorer was also inconsistant though that is somethng I had not considered in my initial response. Ill tell you what, give me a Max Baer with no conscience who was not moved by the deaths he felt responsible for in the ring, focused (he was always in good shape) and I could see the possibility. But the Moorer who beat Holy that first fight (as compared to the second) highlighted how good Moorer could fight when he was on his A game.

I would certainly have to say that Baer is on a short list of guys who had that kind of power in the right. Wilder also.

Comment

We are talking Baer at his best. At his best he needs one right hand to end the fight. I think he finds that one right hand at some point in the fight.

Comment

Savvy, old Foreman found the right hand. But he was getting his butt thoroughly kicked by Michael Moorer until that point.

Max Baer was never that savvy or clever.

Comment

Foreman was old and wayyyyy past his prime. He was able to do as well as he did as an old past prime fighter because of the very watered down talent pool at that time (to today). This plus he had multiple pathways to win the title so more potential opportunity and this be able to choose a path of least resistance. We are talking Baer in his prime at his best.

Comment

Working...
                      X