No announcement yet.

A brief glimpse of boxings origins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A brief glimpse of boxings origins

Brief history of boxings origins. In ancient Greece, boxing was a popular amateur competitive sport and was included in the first Olympic Games. ... In the 18th Century boxing was revived in London in the form of bare-knuckle prizefights in which the contestants fought for money and the spectators made wagers on the outcome. The fighters fought under the rules known commonly as the marquees of Queensburys rules.

Curtis Harper

Swell try. This topic has been smashed to pieces though

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
      Thanks man not by me though I've been on here about 22 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Larky101 View Post
        Thanks man not by me though I've been on here about 22 days.
        History section..

History of boxing....

Almost seems like it had to be the 1st 50 threads.

Comment

History section..

History of boxing....

Almost seems like it had to be the 1st 50 threads.
          Yeah the name of the forum seems to hint at my thread topic purely coincidental.

Comment

Curtis there is no other way to put this so I will just say it plain. You're an *******.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyge View Post
              curtis there is no other way to put this so i will just say it plain. You're an *******.
              ''Superhero'' ?!?!?

Comment

''Superhero'' ?!?!?
                There was no need for that remark. He was a least trying to post a thread about something interesting on the forum other I hate so and so.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                  There was no need for that remark. He was a least trying to post a thread about something interesting on the forum other I hate so and so.
                  Thanks man, the history is something i researched quite early on as i watched boxing at the time to me it seemed life threatening and brutal. I thought how is this allowed in a world filled with over the top health and safety measures. That research led me to the origins of boxing and how it has actually become safer in general compared to the earlier days.
                  Last edited by Gideon lock; 05-05-2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larky101 View Post
                    Thanks man, the history is something i researched quite early on as i watched boxing at the time to me it seemed life threatening and brutal. I thought how is this allowed in a world filled with over the top health and safety measures. That research led me to the origins of boxing and how it has actually become safer in general compared to the earlier days.
                    As has already been pointed out to you, the history of boxing over the last several centuries (and even further back to ancient times) will of course already have been discussed at length in a place like this. Though you couldn't know that, after just a few weeks here.

So Kudos to you for wanting to educate yourself on the sport and taking time to do some research of your own.

By the way, 18th Century London bare-knuckle prizefights were not fought under the Marquees of Queensberry rules. This came much later (1860s or thereabouts), and laid down the ground rules for gloved boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X