No announcement yet.

Any Weight training questions...come here

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Weight training questions...come here

OK, before anyone thinks "Who is this smart ass", I am not saying that I know everything about weight training or general training. However, I have been lifting for about 8 years now and have gained a fair bit of knowledge in that time. I was also a gym instructor for about 18 months before I joined the Army where I also got a further trainers qualification.

I'm not going to go into full on anatomy lessons here, you guys probably don't want to hear them, and I am too lazy to give them, but if you have any questions regarding routines, weight gain/loss or techniques in the gym....ask away.

alright seldom. First off I need to get some good legs, in boxing I gotta be able to dance move and all that for a few rounds and I cant make it past 2 rounds without my legs turning into rubber and slowing me down. The big problem is I cant really do squats because I have bad knee's, my knee's pop and crackle every time I squat down like its rice krispies and my knee's start to get real sore. I tryed doing no weighted squats but that hurts my knee's the same altho I can get a half decent workout in before it starts hurting. What alternative exercises would you recommend besides squats to help me increase my muscular endurance and strength in my legs that would not put alot of stress on my knee's? I live on a steep ass hill which is a good run and usually hit up the stair master when I go to the gym so hopfully those things help.

all help is appreciated,

Thanks

Comment

i need weight loss and tonight info, anything and everything!

Comment

[quote:1876aa09f6="CrashZero"]alright seldom. First off I need to get some good legs, in boxing I gotta be able to dance move and all that for a few rounds and I cant make it past 2 rounds without my legs turning into rubber and slowing me down. The big problem is I cant really do squats because I have bad knee's, my knee's pop and crackle every time I squat down like its rice krispies and my knee's start to get real sore. I tryed doing no weighted squats but that hurts my knee's the same altho I can get a half decent workout in before it starts hurting. What alternative exercises would you recommend besides squats to help me increase my muscular endurance and strength in my legs that would not put alot of stress on my knee's? I live on a steep ass hill which is a good run and usually hit up the stair master when I go to the gym so hopfully those things help.

all help is appreciated,

Thanks[/quote:1876aa09f6]

Does your gym have a 45 degree leg press machine? I would suggest using this to improve your leg strength and endurance as you are pretty well supported, the strain on your knees is less IMO and you can limit the range of movement if necessary to suit.

Try doing 4 - 5 sets of about 12 - 15 with a decent weight, keep a good form and it should help. Squats are unbeatable as a leg builder, but you aren't the only dude with knee or back problems who has trouble squatting.

The stairmaster and hill running will also be of great assistance so keep them up for sure.

Good luck

Comment

[quote:77dd35ce7a="VulgarTheClown"]i need weight loss and tonight info, anything and everything![/quote:77dd35ce7a]

How is your knee going? For weight loss, I would suggest doing 2 cardio sessions a day of at least 30 mins long, 6 days a week. Preferably one before breakfast and one late afternoon. Monitor your diet, try not to eat carbs after 3 pm and keep your meat very lean, lots of Chicken and fish.

Vary your cardio to avoid staleness or boredom. Swim, run, bike use machines, whatever, as well as your usual fight training

Comment

jesus my typing really sucks or people mess with my posts.

what about toning?

me knee feel better, i did some JJ for the first time in 6 weeks yesterday and it didn;t hurt till 2 or 3 hours after, i guess tahts good sign. i go to the doc friday.

Comment

Ah...you meant Toning!!

What weight training are you doing now Ben? Toning is basically a combination of muscle gain and fat loss, which will make you appear more muscular and 'toned'...as you increase your cardio and strip off the body fat you want to, your muscularity will become more apparent.

Comment

i really don;t enjoy lifitng weights at all. i don;t mind cardio.

i can;t run long distances cause of my knee and i getextremely winded extremely fast.

which brings up another queestion:

why can i roll for over 15 min beforei get tired yet run 3 min and be totaly winded?

Comment

For the same reason that a lot of people can swim for amazingly long times, yet can't run around the block. Your technique and mat conditioning would be a lot better than your running conditioning.

Running is a pretty hard thing on the body to do. The jarring and pounding that your legs take makes it harder to keep going than if you are in the water or on the mat where there is minimal impact.

If you don't like weights, it will make it harder to achieve the toning effect you are after, but there are options. Body weight exercises can be pretty useful...dips, chins, push ups, squats or lunges can all do the job. It will take high amounts of them, but the good part is that you can do these with little or no equipment and you can do them pretty much whenever you feel like it as they don't cause the same muscle damage as free weights will...your gains won't be as great either, but that is your call to make

Comment

i dont; want to start lifting till i drop the weight i got packed on.

so basically by getting skinnier i will be toning technically then one i lose say i dunno 40 - 50lbs i will start weight lifting.

next question oncei find out form my doc what is wrong with my knee..... how ot strengthen it so i don;t hurt i again.

Comment

Working...
                    X