No announcement yet.

If Tyson won the Olympic Trials

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Tyson won the Olympic Trials

What if Tyson was declared the winner in the Trials finals against Tillman? How far would he have gone in the Olympics?

Tillman won the Olympic gold medal. If Mike would have been good enough to beat him then you'd have to think he would have a great chance of going all the way.

Comment

the silver medalist was willie dewitt who i believe beat henry twice once knocking him cold. i think mike would have won although anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        the silver medalist was willie dewitt who i believe beat henry twice once knocking him cold. i think mike would have won although anything is possible.
        Is there footage of this?

Comment

I think he woulda won, but lets not act like there isn't intangibles with Tyson. Like I think there is probably a 20% chance he woulda got kicked off the Olympic squad for showing his dick to one of those 15 year old gymnasts.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
            Is there footage of this?
            i had it on vhs but accidentally erased it but remember it well henry was flurrying off the ropes and willie hit him with a short right and he fell hard and took awhile to be revived.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
              i had it on vhs but accidentally erased it but remember it well henry was flurrying off the ropes and willie hit him with a short right and he fell hard and took awhile to be revived.
              Did it go something like this?

lol deja vu.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcsaYBIuLFU

willie was involved in one of the more bizarre amateur fights

Comment

By the time Tyson was eligible for Open Class Trails I had already relinquished
                  my position in amateur boxing. However when I was Tyson's Region 1 team coach there was already discussions about his style lending to warnings and possible DQ's. Cus would have liked him to be able to succeed but it was not a major concern in Mikes development.

Having your head positioned in front of your gloves is not a favored style. Also lowering the head below your opponents waist could possibly be a problem in international competition. Olympic boxing, after the '76 games set a presidence
                  on style & form. Prior to those games most of the amateur styling was from the iron block countries and the AAU in the States and it resembled the pros!

Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    By the time Tyson was eligible for Open Class Trails I had already relinquished
                    my position in amateur boxing. However when I was Tyson's Region 1 team coach there was already discussions about his style lending to warnings and possible DQ's. Cus would have liked him to be able to succeed but it was not a major concern in Mikes development.

Having your head positioned in front of your gloves is not a favored style. Also lowering the head below your opponents waist could possibly be a problem in international competition. Olympic boxing, after the '76 games set a presidence
                    on style & form. Prior to those games most of the amateur styling was from the iron block countries and the AAU in the States and it resembled the pros!

Ray.
                    Wow, very thoughtful answer Ray. I can see how Tyson's style would maybe not be a good fit for the amateurs.

Comment

Working...
                    X