Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come ppl say Marciano isn't the greatest of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because he didn't take a legit fight until like 40 fights into his career, and than most of the guys he did beat were past their best.

He came along at a good time. When Louis, Charles, and Walcott were getting up there, and before Patterson and Liston came along.

Comment

While I definitely think Rocky is pound-for-pound one of the greatest ever based on his accomplishments and having retired undefeated, it’s not possible to refer to him as the greatest. That’s because he had the misfortune of fighting during an era when the quality of heavyweight opponents was at its lowest in boxing’s history.

I think Rocky would have had a very hard time winning had he fought Harry Greb or Gene Tunney during the 20’s, or Joe Louis during his prime in the 30’s and 40’s. And regardless of what Muhammad Ali later said, I think Ali would have beaten Rocky. He simply had a lot more skill.

By the way, doesn't this thread belong in the "History" part of this forum? Oh, well. No harm done. Good question for a nice thread.
      Last edited by GAR1680-Boxing; 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Marciano was also very undersized for a HW, its like hes overrated and underrated at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
          Because he didn't take a legit fight until like 40 fights into his career, and than most of the guys he did beat were past their best.

He came along at a good time. When Louis, Charles, and Walcott were getting up there, and before Patterson and Liston came along.
          Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
          Cause his resume is shallow and he fought in a weak era...he was tough as nails and beat who he had to beat and i wont take anything away from him...but he is not the greatest
          "He fought in a weak era"

People say that when they are trying to discredit a fighter. Marciano is underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post

Marciano would've punished Patterson! Liston would have been a dangerous fight but than again Sonny might've not been able to deal with being backed up and bullied in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by GAR1680-Boxing View Post
              While I definitely think Rocky is pound-for-pound one of the greatest ever based on his accomplishments and having retired undefeated, it’s not possible to refer to him as the greatest. That’s because he had the misfortune of fighting during an era when the quality of heavyweight opponents was at its lowest in boxing’s history.

I think Rocky would have had a very hard time winning had he fought Harry Greb or Gene Tunney during the 20’s, or Joe Louis during his prime in the 30’s and 40’s. And regardless of what Muhammad Ali later said, I think Ali would have beaten Rocky. He simply had a lot more skill.

By the way, doesn't this thread belong in the "History" part of this forum? Oh, well. No harm done. Good question for a nice thread.
              I think retiring as the only undefeated Heavyweight champ kind of trumps all other accomplishments!

Comment

He's ****in garbage. There I said it.

Comment

Underrated? Being a top 5 or so heavyweight all-time is not underrated. Nor is he close to being the greatest.

Beau Jack is underrated. Beat Armstrong, Angott, Zivic, Montgomery, Joyce and is hardly EVER mentioned. It's disgraceful.

Comment

Possibly the greatest heavyweight. Not the all around greatest.The fact he had no real backround in boxing and took the sport over, showed his strength, heart, power and resilience!

Comment

Originally posted by killamoneymike View Post
                      K then who is? in hw that is?

Louis (who he beat) ?, Ali who lost 5 times more than Marciano did? Dont give me **** about how old Ali was for a lot of those losses, the man didnt know when to quit. Marciano was the smarter fighter he knew when to quit.

You cant prove anything about era's thats going on pure trivial opinion. Whos to say Rocky's comp was weaker? You dont know that.

Rocky hit hard enough to KO any of these giants today.
                      Ali is the greatest heavyweight ever cause he has the greatest heavyweight resume hands down......and lets not act like Marciano beat a prime Louis..i know you are trolling with an alt but damn try harder

Comment

Working...
                      X