No announcement yet.

The Myth that SRL changed his style and beat Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

The fact is, when both of them fought each other when both of them were at their absolute best, Duran won the fight. Hard to say that's a guy who had his number.
    If you think that the first Duran fight was Leonard at his "absolute best", than you have a lot of youtube to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
      The first fight was still pretty close when Leonard fought more flat-footed. Duran was great no doubt. I'm a huge fan of his. But, he had two more opportunities to prove his dominance and he failed miserably both times. When Ray used pure boxing tactics Duran just simply couldn't cope with it. But, there will always be the excuses. Well, he wasn't in shape, he had stomach cramps, he was past it etc. I just don't think thats fair at all to SRL. He had his number and Duran knew it. The evidence? When was the last time you saw a great fighter quit a fight just cause he was out of shape?!
      couldn't cope with what? the invisible punches Leonard was landing?

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        If you think that the first Duran fight was Leonard at his "absolute best", than you have a lot of youtube to watch.
        I'm ok, I saw Duran and Leonards career unfold as it happened. But thanks for the advice.

Obviously I'm not saying Duran was in his prime at 147. I'm saying, Duran at his best (At that point of his career) Vs Leonard at his best (At that point of his career), Duran won.
        Last edited by IronDanHamza; 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I would say Leonard's absolute peak was Benitez through Hearns I. It certainly wasn't at any point after his first retirement.

And for the record, Leonard was terrific in that first fight with Duran. How many Welters throughout history would beaten Ray that night? Damn few, and they'd have needed their A-games to do it.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            I would say Leonard's absolute peak was Benitez through Hearns I. It certainly wasn't at any point after his first retirement.

And for the record, Leonard was terrific in that first fight with Duran. How many Welters throughout history would beaten Ray that night? Damn few, and they'd have needed their A-games to do it.

Poet
            That's a great point.

People act like Leonard looks terrible that night. He looked awesome to me.

There is seriously very few WW's who would have beaten Leonard that night.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              I'm ok, I saw Duran and Leonards career unfold as it happened. But thanks for the advice.

Obviously I'm not saying Duran was in his prime at 147. I'm saying, Duran at his best (At that point of his career) Vs Leonard at his best (At that point of his career), Duran won.
              The rematch was at the same basic "point in their careers", so you can make the same argument on behalf of Leonard.

The Leonard from the Benitez fight beats the Leonard from either Duran fight... and beats the Duran from those fights as well.

Comment

The rematch was at the same basic "point in their careers", so you can make the same argument on behalf of Leonard.

The Leonard from the Benitez fight beats the Leonard from either Duran fight... and beats the Duran from those fights as well.
                Well, no it wasn't was it.

Duran was obviously a lot better physically and mentally in the first fight in comparison to the second. Leonard was fantastic in both fights.

Comment

To me it seems that Leonard came in over-confident in the first fight whereas Duran was all about destroying Ray. He would have fought 100 rounds if needed. He would have fought two Leonards. He was not going to be denied. It was a great, close, fight between two all time greats.

After the win, a little of the fire went out of Duran & in the rematch HE was the over-confident one (I heard stories about him drinking quarts of beer before the fight). Ray changing his style was one of the factors in the 2nd fight.

I'm privileged to have been around for all of Ray & a large chunk of Roberto's careers. Floyd & Manny are great but NO-ONE is as brilliant as the fighters/musicians/sports-stars of our youth Whatever period that is.

Comment

I can't stand how people think Duran was getting dominated in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      I can't stand how people think Duran was getting dominated in the rematch.
                      I get more annoyed when people think Leonard was some kind of defensive fighter who didn't engage and shyd away from fights.

Leonard was a fighter, through and through.
                      Last edited by IronDanHamza; 07-23-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X