No announcement yet.

Sonnen-Silva = Silva-GSP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonnen-Silva = Silva-GSP

Like the title says. Sonnen wanted to use the GSP game plan. A little pitty pats before the double shot. Lay on top and win on points while doing just enough so the ref wont stand them up.

I declare that fight would be exactly how GSP-Silva would look. Minus a spinning elbow but you can expect those two matches to be a GSP-Silva fight.

With Silva capitalising big on a brief opening and winning.

Eh, their striking is completely different. Setting up your shots is always a smart thing to do. It's not really a game plan, it's just how to fight.

Comment

lol no.

GSP is a much more polished striker
      GSP is far more athletic
      GSP believe it or not has a longer reach than Chael
      GSP has a higher fight IQ
      GSP is better guard passer than Chael
      GSP has better overall grappling than Chael

And I'm not sure where you get the idea that they simply "lay on top and do just enough to not get stood up" The most ridiculous analysis of fighters I've ever seen.

Chael passed Anderson's guard like he didn't even have one and was constantly working with punches. If anything, Anderson with his body lock was the one stalling and not doing anything.

That first round against Chael was the textbook definition of lay and pray from the bottom by Silva.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack3d View Post
        lol no.

GSP is a much more polished striker
        GSP is far more athletic
        GSP believe it or not has a longer reach than Chael
        GSP has a higher fight IQ
        GSP is better guard passer than Chael
        GSP has better overall grappling than Chael

And I'm not sure where you get the idea that they simply "lay on top and do just enough to not get stood up" The most ridiculous analysis of fighters I've ever seen.

Chael passed Anderson's guard like he didn't even have one and was constantly working with punches. If anything, Anderson with his body lock was the one stalling and not doing anything.

That first round against Chael was the textbook definition of lay and pray from the bottom by Silva.
        whether GSP is a better striker than Chael is irrelevant cuz GSP's striking is light years behind Silva's. GSP is smart enough not to stand with Anderson. So thats a moot point.

Now whether GSP's grappling is more effective AT MIDDLEWEIGHT, I don't think so. GSP is better at grappling for 170 but at 185 I don't think it would be as strong and I don't think he's stronger than Chael.

Chael is a legit middleweight and he was an olympic alternate in wrestling. you can't put GSP at that level.

In conclusion, Silva would have a much easier time beating GSP than he did Chael.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
          whether GSP is a better striker than Chael is irrelevant cuz GSP's striking is light years behind Silva's. GSP is smart enough not to stand with Anderson. So thats a moot point.
          No it's not because him being a better striker will allow him to more effectively set up his takedowns.

Now whether GSP's grappling is more effective AT MIDDLEWEIGHT, I don't think so. GSP is better at grappling for 170 but at 185 I don't think it would be as strong and I don't think he's stronger than Chael.
          I think so. GSP is the best guard passer in the sport and contrary to Anderson having a black belt, he has very average defensive grappling and guard.

GSP's strength is very underrated and he rolls with guys much larger than he does with success.

Chael is a legit middleweight and he was an olympic alternate in wrestling. you can't put GSP at that level.
          Dan Henderson is an olympian but his wrestling in an MMA context, especially his defense is poor. Chael has been put on his back by Marquardt and Maia. Henderson has been outwrestled by Bustamante, Rampage and Ninja.

Credential wise all inferior. It's not all the same.

In conclusion, Silva would have a much easier time beating GSP than he did Chael.
          I doubt it. The only concern for GSP is he doesn't possess the aggressive mentality that Chael brings. Other than that, he's superior to Chael in almost every aspect.

Comment

lChael passed Anderson's guard like he didn't even have one and was constantly working with punches. If anything, Anderson with his body lock was the one stalling and not doing anything.
            This must be a sick joke. Anderson had him locked tight in half guard for nearly the whole round. It took Sonnen like 4 and a half minutes to finally pass and he still did nothing with his mount.

And Sonnen is a much stronger brute than GSP. No way is GSP going to handle Silva like he did.

Hell, he runs a very high risk of getting knocked out because he is not a in-your face guy with an iron chin who closes the distance quickly to get his takedowns like Sonnen. GSP would be tooled standing and would do even less damage and score less than Sonnen IF he does get his takedowns, and that's saying a lot.

Comment

Other than that, he's superior to Chael in almost every aspect.
              Disagree with this as well. Lets look into it.

offensive wrestling- shell(gsp's 185lbs wrestling doesnt even exist yet plus defensive wrestling is irrelevant in this discussion)
              aggression-shell
              chin- shell
              striking-shell for boxing, GSP with kicks
              stamina-TRT induced Sonnen
              quickness/athletic-GSP
              BJJ-GSP

The only advantages GSP has, Anderson cancels those out. Anderson has already seen the rest before and overcome it.

Comment

The thing is, Silva may get a beating if you're on top, but you have to do a lot to stop him. In a 5 rounder, it is extremely hard to defeat him unless you are physically a beast.

Comment

Finishing him is not an option. Iron chin, leather skin, great sub defense and stamina as well as a lot of heart. It'd have to be on points to beat him, and it's hard enough not to get finished yourself in 25 minutes against a guy that needs one good moment to finish a fight immediately.

Comment

exactly boxkick.

i would say gsp is more technical in stand up than chael but it's moot against anderson. where as gsp has a speed edge on chael, at 185 we don't know if his wrestling would be better than chael.

chael pretty much can takedown anyone from 185-205. yet anderson still took it and won twice.

what i look for gsp to do is his lunge jab and immediately shoot in. it will be the same fight without the dirty boxing. at which watching anderson win twice by a micron of an opening, where it resulted in an instant finish.

no doubt does anderson beat gsp. by anything he wants.

Comment

Working...
                    X