No announcement yet.

Cerrone: Squabble over co-main status the holdup to Conor McGregor fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cerrone: Squabble over co-main status the holdup to Conor McGregor fight

It is becoming increasingly apparent that a snag over card placement is the biggest holdup to a potential Conor McGregor vs. Donald Cerrone fight.

Just days after UFC color commentator Joe Rogan said on his podcast that a dispute between McGregor and the UFC over whether McGregor would appear in the co-feature spot is holding up a potential fight on July 6 in Las Vegas between the two popular competitors, Cerrone himself confirmed this is the case.

In a report on ESPN.com Thursday, Cerrone says that McGregor will only accept headline fights.

”Conor won’t fight unless it’s a main event,” Cerrone told ESPN. “I don’t know if it’s an ego thing or a status thing for him. I don’t give a s---. I’ll fight anyone, anywhere, and I stand by that all the time. I guess he’s a prima donna and only takes main event spots. I don’t know.”

The idea for the bout came about after Cerrone’s impressive victory over Alexander Hernandez at UFC Brooklyn on July 19. McGregor tweeted his interest in the bout, and at first, they tried to make it for the April 13 card.

”We were all waiting on Conor for April, and he said he wasn’t ready,” Cerrone said. “I don’t know how in one breath you can say, ‘I’ll fight anyone, anytime, anywhere,’ and the next one say, ‘I’m not ready for that one.’

”I’m more annoyed that he went radio silent after putting it out. I get it, you want to stay relevant by putting it out there, but then you can’t go radio silent. Sack up, b----. Sign the f---ing paper.”

McGregor is responsible for five of the six biggest PPV sellers in UFC history, which includes both of his fights with Nate Diaz, neither of which were championship fights. His most recent bout, a loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229, did a record 2.4 M buys.

Cerrone, for his part, wants to fight on July 6, whether it’s McGregor or another opponent. Al Iaquinta has been mentioned as a possibility. Either way, Cerrone sounds tired of the drama.

”I call the UFC and tell them what to do, they tell me to shut the ***** up and go sit in the corner,” Cerrone said. “I don’t have any say on that stuff. What I do know is July is the latest I’m fighting. That’s the *****ng latest. I will not wait longer than that.”

I'm glad Cerrone is letting it air out.

I don't really know what's up with Conor. I mean, if main event is the obstacle than you really gotta be looking at Dana and the ownership. It's nothing to put Conor as the header. He draws the most cash period. So, it's really on them.

Still a weird requirement though. Sounds lame if I am honest.

Comment

conor just trying to stay relevant... if he takes a fight on the under card then that will really ruin his "boss" image.

Comment

Considering Conor has 5 of their 6 highest PPV buysrates, Im shocked he's not headlining.

Comment

I don't understand why the UFC wouldn't put McConor vs Cowboy as the main event. Thats gonna sell the show.

And this isn't likely to be a prima donna thing. I'm sure the PPV points are less for Conor as the co-main then it'd be for the main event.

He's selling the card not some Nunes vs Cyborg rematch or w/e title fight they make the main event. So its a money thing more than likely. I say fair play to Conor here. He shouldn't be the co-main. Its a ******ed decision by the UFC & probably more a power play by the UFC than anything else.

And I dig Cowboy but he's a moron about business sh^t.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            Considering Conor has 5 of their 6 highest PPV buysrates, Im shocked he's not headlining.
            Uh, he's fresh off two dominant losses - one in boxing, one in UFC. MF'er should take what he's being offered, we saw what happened with Rousey

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
              Uh, he's fresh off two dominant losses - one in boxing, one in UFC. MF'er should take what he's being offered, we saw what happened with Rousey
              Yeah, she signed a $50 million deal in WWE

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                Yeah, she signed a $50 million deal in WWE
                No, she came back after depression and got brutally stopped by Amanda Nunes, went back into depression, THEN she joined WWE. Now, she's worked herself into a shoot over her husband. The abuser, mind you.

Comment

Yeah but at least with WWE being scripted, she never has to lose. Now that the Wrestlemania main event is a triple threat match, she can lose the title without being pinned or having to tap out or without having to "job" or "do the job" as they say in the wrestling business. And just like with Brock Lesnar, Vince loves her, so he'll keep letting her win all she wants as long as she wants to stick around. Recent news though is Ronda is taking a leave of absence, possibly to have a baby. She needs to STFU on Twitter though and respect the business. I wonder if her friend Shayna Baszler will make the main roster from NXT. Wouldn't mind seeing her on Raw. She was a favorite of mine who didn't do much in the sport, but had a good submission game. Seems to be getting a push in WWE now too.

Comment

Working...
                  X