Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is better defencively Whittiker or Mayweather? Why?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it be safe to say that Whitaker's defense was more about athleticism and reflexes while Floyd's defense was more fundamentally sound?

One guy did manage to stay at the top level until he was damn near 40 while the other guy fell off hard past a certain age. Then again Floyd lived a disciplined, Spartan lifestyle while Pernell fell victim to his drug vices...

Comment

This one comes down to personal taste. It is like asking who is the better guitarist Tommy Emmanuel or Earl Klugh? I suppose a deity would know the answer, or whether there was one.

Comment

In their respective primes, Whitaker was better. He was better at standing in front of an opponent and making them miss, then countering. Early Floyd took more punches until he made adjustments and became more of a runner/clincher. Whitaker was superior at defense on the inside with regard to bobbing, weaving, feinting, slipping, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          In their respective primes, Whitaker was better. He was better at standing in front of an opponent and making them miss, then countering. Early Floyd took more punches until he made adjustments and became more of a runner/clincher. Whitaker was superior at defense on the inside with regard to bobbing, weaving, feinting, slipping, etc.
          I like your analysis. Very accurate observations.

Comment

I Am going to say Floyd simply put hes got a 0 beside his record means he was doing what he does a little better then Sweet Pea.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              This one comes down to personal taste. It is like asking who is the better guitarist Tommy Emmanuel or Earl Klugh? I suppose a deity would know the answer, or whether there was one.
              Guitarist? Simple, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Hendrix and Les Paul are up there too.

Comment

Spot on. Whitaker played defense while still throwing a good volume of punches. Mayweather played defense by eschewing offense almost entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by CinderelliMan View Post
                  I Am going to say Floyd simply put hes got a 0 beside his record means he was doing what he does a little better then Sweet Pea.
                  The reason Whitaker didn't have the "0" on his record is because he did the opposite of what Floyd did, that is, he fought young, elite fighters in their prime even as he was getting past his own prime. Mayweather, never fought an elite fighter in their prime.

Comment

The reason Whitaker didn't have the "0" on his record is because he did the opposite of what Floyd did, that is, he fought young, elite fighters in their prime even as he was getting past his own prime. Mayweather, never fought an elite fighter in their prime.
                    Thanks for the insight man I am far from a floyd fan just havent seen much or read much about Whitaker.

Just started watching boxing a couple of years ago switched over from MMA and it is guys like you that I have been learning from so thank you.

Comment

Yes there is British English and American English. Check your keyboard settings..

Comment

Working...
                      X