No announcement yet.

HW skill appreciation thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HW skill appreciation thread

After seeing how basic the #2 guy at cruiser, Gassiev was, it really opens yours eyes to how skilled these guys at HW really are.

Does anybody not think there is a massive gap in skill between say a guy like Luis Ortiz & Gassiev?

Gassiev couldn't even throw a jab, very poor footwork which could not cut off the ring, same left hook/uppercut you could see coming from a mile away, that's his entire skill set. Defensively, yikes, he was blocking punches with his head, 0 head movement.

If you're going to have no head movement you at least need to be built like AJ with is size, speed and skill set.

The difference is that Gassiev is 24 years old and had no amateur career. Even now he's accomplished more than pretty much most of the HWs. These HWs are also in their 30s (some late 30s) and their footwork is probably even worse as is their head movement.

What this final showed is that there is a massive skill gap between Usyk and whoever the top HW is. He doesn't punch as hard, but he's got way more tools than any of them. I'm looking forward to him moving up and adding to his belt collection.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
      The difference is that Gassiev is 24 years old and had no amateur career. Even now he's accomplished more than pretty much most of the HWs. These HWs are also in their 30s (some late 30s) and their footwork is probably even worse as is their head movement.

What this final showed is that there is a massive skill gap between Usyk and whoever the top HW is. He doesn't punch as hard, but he's got way more tools than any of them. I'm looking forward to him moving up and adding to his belt collection.
      Gassiev's best wins are a close SD to a 37 year old 5'11 Lebedev & a win over Dorticos whom had previously struggled vs Edison Miranda. Very very thin.

Ortiz's footwork, jab, defense, even power are light years ahead, he's in a whole different class altogether. Both Fury bros also have good footwork, jab, and can mix it up. AJ & Wilder are very skilled and hit significantly harder, they hurt people with jabs. I'm just saying, I can't imagine a scenario where a top 10 HW wouldn't KO a 37 year old, 5'11 Lebedev. Parker is probably the least skilled HW but he's a waaay better defensive fighter than Gassiev.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
        Gassiev's best wins are a close SD to a 37 year old 5'11 Lebedev & a win over Dorticos whom had previously struggled vs Edison Miranda. Very very thin.

Ortiz's footwork, jab, defense, even power are light years ahead, he's in a whole different class altogether. Both Fury bros also have good footwork, jab, and can mix it up. AJ & Wilder are very skilled and hit significantly harder, they hurt people with jabs. I'm just saying, I can't imagine a scenario where a top 10 HW wouldn't KO a 37 year old, 5'11 Lebedev. Parker is probably the least skilled HW but he's a waaay better defensive fighter than Gassiev.
        Lol Ortiz is like in his late 30s and had an extensive amateur career. Wilder in his mid 30s and went to Olympics. I would sure hope they're better than a guy who started boxing 6 years ago and had no amateur experience.

Gassiev got outclassed and was out of his depth but he has time to learn at 24 years old. Maybe he will and maybe he wont. But anyone at HW right now is basically as good as they'll ever be.

Comment

Lol Ortiz is like in his late 30s and had an extensive amateur career. Wilder in his mid 30s and went to Olympics. I would sure hope they're better than a guy who started boxing 6 years ago and had no amateur experience.

Gassiev got outclassed and was out of his depth but he has time to learn at 24 years old. Maybe he will and maybe he wont. But anyone at HW right now is basically as good as they'll ever be.
          Ortiz is 6'4 240, undefeated, 90% KO ratio, dominated every opponent put in front of him. His comp. included demolishing Bryant Jennings who gave Wlad a tougher fight than Haye, Povetkin, Ibragimov, Thompson, Watch etc. Ortiz also blasted out Thompson with ease as well as Scott (Scott was giving Chisora a run for his money before a premature stoppage)

Let's be real, he's much better than 5'11 Dennis Lebedev who could barely knock out the corpse of RJJ. When he punches people they actually go down. Can you name a single HW that 5'11, 37 year old Lebedev would beat?

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
            Ortiz is 6'4 240, undefeated, 90% KO ratio, dominated every opponent put in front of him. His comp. included demolishing Bryant Jennings who gave Wlad a tougher fight than Haye, Povetkin, Ibragimov, Thompson, Watch etc. Ortiz also blasted out Thompson with ease as well as Scott (Scott was giving Chisora a run for his money before a premature stoppage)

Let's be real, he's much better than 5'11 Dennis Lebedev who could barely knock out the corpse of RJJ. When he punches people they actually go down. Can you name a single HW that 5'11, 37 year old Lebedev would beat?
            There are guys that you mentioned that are probably more skilled and possibly better, but not by much. The difference is that their careers are already dwindling down and his is still young. So the gap between Gassiev and the other HWs isn't that big. They're probably quite close to each other.

Comment

There are guys that you mentioned that are probably more skilled and possibly better, but not by much. The difference is that their careers are already dwindling down and his is still young. So the gap between Gassiev and the other HWs isn't that big. They're probably quite close to each other.
              But he's probably like 5 years away at least from reaching that point, that's a very long time. As of right now I think he'd get blasted out by the likes of Miller, probably Wach & Duhapaus too. 6'4 isn't too big these days, the future is looking like 6'6+ especially with the new talent.

Comment

Gassiev is not very skilled but it isn't how he got there. He still beat Lebedev who is head and shoulders above him skill wise. But I will agree, the pedrigree at CW is somewhat missing. Doesn't take anything from Usyk though...

Comment

Working...
                X