Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have your opinions on gun control laws changed over recent incidents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    How about this- change the laws to ban all automatic weapons and as part of that law, include a provision where anyone caught with or possessing an illegal firearm gets life in prison without the possibility of parole.

May not clean up the problem immediately, but it will long term. It's expected things will take time.

Edit: jimmy Kimmel made a great point last night. When he was a kid there was a couple of fires in hotels that killed people. So they made changes. Since then, there hasn't been anymore fires like those 2 in hotels.

Same thing here. Have debate (I surely am not suggesting just changing the law without debate). Let both sides work together to come up with sensible laws that will reduce and eliminate the types of mass shootings we keep witnessing in the US.
    Dunn we go back a few years, I personally can covert arms to full fire mode easily.
    Laws won't & can't fix this.

If a guy in his truck decides to run over a lot of people...nothing to do about it.if a guy converts his arms to fire full auto, nothing much to do about it.

I posses the machinist skills to make a receiver, lathe a barrel, etc.

The cat has been outta the bag for a long time... Tua can confirm.

Legislation, won't put that genie back in the bottle.

I don't know what more to say

Left Hook Tua

Comment

• Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      There is very few legal automatic weapons in the us.

Remember most that are legal were bought and registered before 1986.

Mandatory life sentences would probably deter non hardcore criminals from using guns.

Robbers, muggers, etc.

It won't deter murderers.

Ummm they're planning to commit murder.... a crime that already has the threat of a life sentence.
      I get that laws don't deter criminals. as we witnessed yesterday, criminals are not buying automatic weapons, law abiding citizens are.

Again, its not about legislating intent its about legislating availability. If these guns are not so easily available we don't know what happens here. Maybe he gets caught while trying to illegally purchase them.

If he can only by non automatic weapons, then the death and injured toll is far less because he isn't firing in the neighborhood of 700 rounds a minute.

Other than war, why would one need a gun capable of firing 700 rounds in 60 seconds?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
        Dunn we go back a few years, I personally can covert arms to full fire mode easily.
        Laws won't & can't fix this.

If a guy in his truck decides to run over a lot of people...nothing to do about it.if a guy converts his arms to fire full auto, nothing much to do about it.

I posses the machinist skills to make a receiver, lathe a barrel, etc.

The cat has been outta the bag for a long time... Tua can confirm.

Legislation, won't put that genie back in the bottle.

I don't know what more to say

Left Hook Tua
        This isn't about the genie back in the bottle, this is about changing the gun culture in the US for future generations. So doing nothing isn't going to cut it.

Just because we can't eliminate a problem doesn't mean we shouldn't take preventive and precautionary measures. We can do a number of things that will reduce the likelihood of another Vegas or Orlando or Sandy Hook happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
          A lot of those gun laws proposed are already in affect in a lot of states.

Example my home state of california.

Background check
          Waiting period
          Ban on high capacity magazines
          Bans on automatic weapons? Try a ban on even semi automatic weapons.

California has the most stringent gun laws in america.

Ever been to Oakland? Stockton? South Central los angeles? Fresno?
          This is a cop out Tua. what about the situations in all the industrialized nations that have strict gun laws?

Those countries have gun control embedded in their culture. If we take the same steps over time things will change. Things haven't changed in Cali because the USA's gun culture hasn't been addressed nationally.

So I think its clear that gun laws can't be a states issue . It has to be addressed by Congress such that over time the gun culture isn't passed on to our children.

Comment

Again, its not about legislating intent its about legislating availability. If these guns are not so easily available we don't know what happens here. Maybe he gets caught while trying to illegally purchase them.
            Automatic weapons used to be legal.

How many mass shootings were committed by automatic weapons back then.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
              After Vegas somethings gotta give, personally I dont have the slightest clue where Id begin if it were up to me. What would you do if gun control laws were up to you?
              People should be allowed to mount Howitzers on their house if they want. I'm against taking the rights of law abiding citizens away because of the actions of criminals.

Not that you mentioned automatic weapons, but reading through this thread makes me wonder if people actually understand the difference between automatic and semi auto. Automatic weapon permits are extremely difficult and expensive to obtain and thus are rare. People act like any Joe Blow can just roll in to a gun shop and buy a fully auto M-16. Which simply is'nt the case. Although it should be.

Also a lot of folks seem to think assault weapons should'nt be sold, because people have no reason to own one, yet the AR-15 is one of the most popular sport rifles in the US. So sportsmen would seem to disagree with the folks who can't even tell the difference between an semi auto and fully auto weapon.

Comment

This isn't about the genie back in the bottle, this is about changing the gun culture in the US for future generations. So doing nothing isn't going to cut it.

Just because we can't eliminate a problem doesn't mean we shouldn't take preventive and precautionary measures. We can do a number of things that will reduce the likelihood of another Vegas or Orlando or Sandy Hook happening.
                Dunn, I got love for you, but this is where I go crazy.
                God
                Guns
                Country

I'm a Sephardic Jew waiting for disaster, yet well armed
                Guns gimme that false sense of security I may not need
                USA is my country right to bear arms etc

I hate to admit that I'm rigid about guns.
                I'd like to think I'm an open minded non conspiritorial theorist. But, I know ...historically, take away guns, and oppression follows. That pattern is a prominent feature of fascism & history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                  I'm a Sephardic Jew waiting for disaster, yet well armed
                  Guns gimme that false sense of security I may not need
                  USA is my country right to bear arms etc

I hate to admit that I'm rigid about guns.
                  I'd like to think I'm an open minded non conspiritorial theorist. But, I know ...historically, take away guns, and oppression follows. That pattern is a prominent feature of fascism & history.
                  Every Jew should be armed.

History shows that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                    What a pansy. That'll make that sucka think twice about taking the field against the Broncos!
                    Fack the Donkeys

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                      People should be allowed to mount Howitzers on their house if they want. I'm against taking the rights of law abiding citizens away because of the actions of criminals.

Not that you mentioned automatic weapons, but reading through this thread makes me wonder if people actually understand the difference between automatic and semi auto. Automatic weapon permits are extremely difficult and expensive to obtain and thus are rare. People act like any Joe Blow can just roll in to a gun shop and buy a fully auto M-16. Which simply is'nt the case. Although it should be.

Also a lot of folks seem to think assault weapons should'nt be sold, because people have no reason to own one, yet the AR-15 is one of the most popular sport rifles in the US. So sportsmen would seem to disagree with the folks who can't even tell the difference between an semi auto and fully auto weapon.
                      All smiles here buddy!

Comment

Working...
                      X