No announcement yet.

Is Mike Tyson the real PPV king?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Pacquaio-Mayweather and Mayweather-Oscar sell any time.

But you make good points. Social Media makes a big difference. It's hard to compare because of that.

Tyson was probably the bigger star, but it's definitely arguable.
    Not only social media, but also the amount of subscribers.

Leonard vs Hearns did less than 200k but 50% of subscribers purchased the PPV.

Comment

Floyd is only big because ofbhis opponents fan bases.

Its one reason he cherry licked has beens and shot fighters.big names or popular guys . He ducked the threats with small fan bases like winky and paul williams.

Ped floyd is all smoke and mirrors

Comment

Mike Tyson has the second most famous name in boxing after Mohammed Ali, i don't think anyone can deny it.

Everyone knows who Mike Tyson is, you can't say the same about Floyd.

Comment

Mike Tyson was actually entertaining to watch though bit of an unfair comparison one guy puts on the worst PPV events and the other puts on what you expect from a fighter he gots balls out and treats it like a fight win or loss he goes to try and KO fools compared to Ima twinkle toe around my opponent clinch him, forearm him and complain to the ref "Kenny, tell him to stop it "

Comment

Tyson was the OG box office PPV attraction, but it's hard to compare him to Floyd. Different eras, and Tyson didn't have the resources Floyd had to sell fights. Plus they were in different weight classes. Heavyweights traditionally got the most media attention and sold the most fights.

Comment

The 3 largest PPV's all have Floyd in them. Floyd has generated more money in PPV sales and sold more units than Mike. Yet the TS is unsure who the bigger star is.

I thought NSB would get better threads once Floyd retired. Sadly, we get the same silly repetitive threads.

I wish the TS had been a man and just created an honest thread- "I hate that Floyd is a bigger PPV star than Tyson, do you as well?" This way any and all of those who share his feelings could post.

Comment

Main difference is those who tuned in to see Tyson did so to see him utterly destroy his opponents. People paid thousands knowing full well it may only last a round or so.

Floyd on the other hand drew big numbers mostly from people who wanted to witness him lose or because of the fanbase of his opponents.

Tyson fought nobodies and still did over 1 mil buys in a day and age when everyone I knew had illegal analog cable (hot boxes).

Comment

I disagree. I think when you start asking for money to watch a fight all sorts of arguments pop up by potential customers. For Tyson it'd be "why am I paying $75 for 82 seconds...thats like a $1 per second". I think because of that if Tyson was around in this era he'd definitely not hit 4M buy & I suspect the only fights that hit 2M are is the one that almost hit 2M back in the day for him (Holyfield II) & Spinks (only did 700k, but that was back in the pre-PPV days basically). No question he does better numbers than he ended up with (4th All Time with 12Mish PPV Buys, behind Mayweather, Pacquiao & Holyfield respectively) & he probably woulda have more fights on PPV, but I doubt he passes Manny & Floyd in overall numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw93 View Post
                    I think in the ppv era, tyson is more deserving of being the king of ppv than mayweather. Tyson was breaking 1 million plus ppv's against complete nobodies. His fights with Holyfield and Lewis nearly broke 2 million. If he had more high profile fighters to fight his ppv would of been more. Mayweather is fighting fighters that have huge fan bases (pacquiao, canelo) but once he fights nobodies like berto he does 500k. He couldnt even break a million against maidana.

Mike Money Tyson.

dumbest thread I ever saw.

mayweather has sold more ppv's than any fighter ever. that is a fact.

but Tyson is the ppv king.

i see facts no longer count

im a huge Tyson fan, but facts are facts
                    Last edited by bluebeam; 09-16-2015, 09:15 AM.

Comment

At his peak no one was bigger. But wtf is real PPV king? You guys are so desperate

Comment

Working...
                      X