No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: PBC Have Big Plans For UK Market Through ITV Deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: PBC Have Big Plans For UK Market Through ITV Deal

Current and former world champions Carl Frampton, Lee Selby and James DeGale "have a platform to stage big fights in their home country without having to travel oversees" thanks to an exclusive three-year deal between Haymon Sports' Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) and Britain's ITV, said Tim Smith, Vice President of Communications for Haymon Boxing, which handles all three fighters.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Interesting that Smith said he is pretty sure Frampton's fights will be on ITV after the Warrington one. I thought he had inked up with Warren and was going to be fighting on ESPN+ with their new deal. Obviously not if he fought GRJ or LSC, but against other non-PBC opponents.

Like I said yesterday, a lot of the success of this venture will come down to the amateurs Haymon is able to sign after the 2020 Olympics. Then he can make some real noise.

Comment

Joyce on itv could get some good figures if promoted right. I hope 'al' doesnt put these guys on itv box office cause noone will buy it

Comment

These are exciting times for fans , move over Barry and Edward you've had your fifteenth minutes of fame now leave it to the real guys!

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
          Joyce on itv could get some good figures if promoted right. I hope 'al' doesnt put these guys on itv box office cause noone will buy it
          I really don't get how every decent fights ends up on PPV there. Like are the license fees that low for that to happen? That is the one big difference between the US and UK market. In the US, the live gate isn't nearly as important as the license fee. While in the UK it is pretty much the opposite.

Degale vs Eubank should NOT be a PPV fight, like at all. You put that on PPV stateside and it gets laughed at. But do I expect ITV to put a big enough license fee for it to not take place on PPV? Hell no, it has PPV written all over it.

I know the PPV prices are one third of what they are stateside, but still super impressive how big boxing is in the UK with every decent/good fight taking place on PPV. And so many fighters have big followings despite being on PPV damn near every fight.

Comment

Originally posted by thack View Post
            These are exciting times for fans , move over Barry and Edward you've had your fifteenth minutes of fame now leave it to the real guys!
            See, if that is your expectation then I'm afraid you will be disappointed. Hearn isn't going anywhere as long as he continues to get the best Team GB amateurs and has the ultimate cash cow in Anthony Joshua. Haymon doesn't have many UK fighters and to me this is more so getting his US cards picked up by a UK broadcaster...Or at least for now that is the plan. And then he probably hopes to attract some of the 2020 amateurs while signing other fighters to have a big enough stable to put on four-six UK shows a year.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
              See, if that is your expectation then I'm afraid you will be disappointed. Hearn isn't going anywhere as long as he continues to get the best Team GB amateurs and has the ultimate cash cow in Anthony Joshua. Haymon doesn't have many UK fighters and to me this is more so getting his US cards picked up by a UK broadcaster...Or at least for now that is the plan. And then he probably hopes to attract some of the 2020 amateurs while signing other fighters to have a big enough stable to put on four-six UK shows a year.
              Totally agreed. But whatever, the more boxing, the better for us.

Comment

Originally posted by rolshans View Post
                Totally agreed. But whatever, the more boxing, the better for us.
                And let's be real, anyone that has Sky Sports backing is going to be here for a while. And didn't Matchroom sign an extension with Sky Sports recently? So yeah, Hearn is going to be here for a long time.

Comment

Interesting that Smith said he is pretty sure Frampton's fights will be on ITV after the Warrington one. I thought he had inked up with Warren and was going to be fighting on ESPN+ with their new deal. Obviously not if he fought GRJ or LSC, but against other non-PBC opponents.

Like I said yesterday, a lot of the success of this venture will come down to the amateurs Haymon is able to sign after the 2020 Olympics. Then he can make some real noise.
                  Yeah Smith definitely got that one wrong. We all about Warren and BT Spot plus Frampton is managed by MTK Global who has a deal with BoxNation. Haymon may be down the food chain as #3 on his list but there is a reason he isn't on PBC cards

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure the UK has enough world-class talent to sustain three major promotions on three major networks so someone is going to suffer, and Queensberry/BT is more vulnerable than Matchroom/Sky

Pat McCormack and Peter McGrail are the standouts of the current British podium squad so whoever gets them will be in a good position. Frazer Clarke too since he's a heavyweight, although he's not quite up to the standard of Joshua and Joyce. The #2, Solomon Dacres, looks more athletic to me but also a bit rawer, although he's not that young himself

Comment

Working...
                    X